Chinese Democracy: A masterpiece

Vincent Vega

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And even if Slash doesn't like ballads, he can't deny the fact that playing stuff like SCOM or the epic solos in Estranged and November Rain helped him become who he is today. I've always thought those songs set him apart from other guitarists.

I don't think your casual rock fan remembers Slash for Sucker Train Blues or Slither or Right Next Door to Hell, but for the ballads Axl wrote.

And even if Slash doesn't like ballads, he can't deny the fact that playing stuff like SCOM or the epic solos in Estranged and November Rain helped him become who he is today. I've always thought those songs set him apart from other guitarists.

I don't think your casual rock fan remembers Slash for Sucker Train Blues or Slither or Right Next Door to Hell, but for the ballads Axl wrote.

It's ironic actually that the Slash purists try to sort of bury the UYI albums and act like AFD was GN'R's only record, because the UYIs are where Slash showed the world he wasn't just a GOOD guitarist, but that he was an AMAZING guitarist. Some of the solos on AFD IMO are forgettable but pretty much every song on the UYIs has an epic Slash solo, even the more average songs. Those albums are Slash's finest hour and yet the majority of Slash fans focus on AFD which was more a Slash/Izzy collaboration guitar wise.

My favorite album ever

Ever?

What other albums do you like? What other bands?

the greatest hard rock album ever

Is CD even hard rock? :shrugs:

and even if it were, that's bold statement. Wouldn't you say that ACDC's Highway to hell is THE greatest hard rock album ever?

My favorite album ever

Ever?

What other albums do you like? What other bands?

the greatest hard rock album ever

Is CD even hard rock? :shrugs:

and even if it were, that's bold statement. Wouldn't you say that ACDC's Highway to hell is THE greatest hard rock album ever?

no because that ACDC album doesn't have BIG solos on it like robin's TIL, SOD, Chinese Democracy, Better, Twat, IRS and buckethead's Chinese Democracy, If The World, Shackler's, Sorry, Twat, and Prostitute

Edited by finck6

First of all, before people discard me as a "hater", I just wanna say that I know that music is foremost a deep aesthetic impression. BUT that does not mean it's impossible to analyze music (and art in general) objectively, because this is just pure relativism. I believe in Beauty, and I believe that when you learn to hear/see models of beuty in art, you increasingly learn how to capture the most deep human impressions in this human creations. I know we're talking about rock, and that most people rather simply enjoy rock, skipping the posterior rationalization step that must be taken to analyze music more accurately. I will try that in an abbreviatet form.

I just don't like this album. I've tried, because I admire Axl as a singer. I've listen to it many times. But I can't. I don't hear any masterpiece in there, any really good song. There Was a Time? Better? Prostitute? IMO, some of the lines of these songs are pretty, but the music as a unit fails. I don't like this nu-metal thing, too. I like classic rock, with blues, with hard rock, with swing, not this loudy, noisy, and "squary" sound. To me, all this heaviness just creates a very odd contrast with Axl's newly weak voice. Furthermore, the album is way too overproduced and clearly was altered "billions" of times after the recordings (this never ends good, imo), giving the impression that each song was raped countless times, like they were heavily and artificially shaped after their natural birth. Another thing is the difference between the role Slash played and the role Finkc and Buckethead played. Slash was never a filler, his solo sections were never a detached moment in the music, to primarly show his abillities and skills. His solos simlpy grows spontaneously, naturally germinates from the music, as if no other solo could replace it. And he never exceeded himself with stupid heavy metal shreddings and masturbations. What is the last Rocket Queen solo slowly blooming with Axl's voice and then thriving alone? Pure feeling and beauty.

That's it, I think.

Very few albums can be called a masterpiece, an example being Iron Maiden's Powerslave.

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

I guess Skunkworks is a masterpiece? :shrugs:

Yeah, whatever you say.

what is it you say?

I'm ignoring your posts from now on. Just thought I'd let you know. :thumbsup:

First of all, before people discard me as a "hater", I just wanna say that I know that music is foremost a deep aesthetic impression. BUT that does not mean it's impossible to analyze music (and art in general) objectively, because this is just pure relativism. I believe in Beauty, and I believe that when you learn to hear/see models of beuty in art, you increasingly learn how to capture the most deep human impressions in this human creations. I know we're talking about rock, and that most people rather simply enjoy rock, skipping the posterior rationalization step that must be taken to analyze music more accurately. I will try that in an abbreviatet form.

I just don't like this album. I've tried, because I admire Axl as a singer. I've listen to it many times. But I can't. I don't hear any masterpiece in there, any really good song. There Was a Time? Better? Prostitute? IMO, some of the lines of these songs are pretty, but the music as a unit fails. I don't like this nu-metal thing, too. I like classic rock, with blues, with hard rock, with swing, not this loudy, noisy, and "squary" sound. To me, all this heaviness just creates a very odd contrast with Axl's newly weak voice. Furthermore, the album is way too overproduced and clearly was altered "billions" of times after the recordings (this never ends good, imo), giving the impression that each song was raped countless times, like they were heavily and artificially shaped after their natural birth. Another thing is the difference between the role Slash played and the role Finkc and Buckethead played. Slash was never a filler, his solo sections were never a detached moment in the music, to primarly show his abillities and skills. His solos simlpy grows spontaneously, naturally germinates from the music, as if no other solo could replace it. And he never exceeded himself with stupid heavy metal shreddings and masturbations. What is the last Rocket Queen solo slowly blooming with Axl's voice and then thriving alone? Pure feeling and beauty.

That's it, I think.

i have to disagree. twat? better? prostitute? there more than pretty lyric songs. they're EPIC rock songs from robin finck and buckethead. they don't make chidem unit fail. they make chidem unit a big success for rock albums

Edited by finck6

That's it, I think.

i have to disagree. twat? better? prostitute? there more than pretty lyric songs. they're EPIC rock songs from robin finck and buckethead. they don't make chidem unit fail. they make chidem unit a big success for rock albums

Are you high?

Very few albums can be called a masterpiece, an example being Iron Maiden's Powerslave.

Skunkworks is my favorite album ever, but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece in that I don't think everyone (or rather anyone) likes it as much as I do. ;)

I wouldn't call Powerslave a masterpiece either because it's half killer and half filler. You get amazing songs like Rime, Aces High, Powerslave, and 2 Minutes (though I'm not a huge 23:58 fan), and then you get some cool songs like Flash of the Blade, The Duellists, and Losfer Words, and then you get one dud: Back in the Village.

On the other hand, Somewhere in Time, Seventh Son, Brave New World, A Matter of Life and Death, and The Final Frontier are all killer front to back.

All a matter of opinion, but I think Powerslave is one of the least consistent Maiden albums in their entire catalog.

Guest Broskirose

Skunkworks is my favorite album ever, but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece in that I don't think everyone (or rather anyone) likes it as much as I do. ;)

I wouldn't call Powerslave a masterpiece either because it's half killer and half filler. You get amazing songs like Rime, Aces High, Powerslave, and 2 Minutes (though I'm not a huge 23:58 fan), and then you get some cool songs like Flash of the Blade, The Duellists, and Losfer Words, and then you get one dud: Back in the Village.

On the other hand, Somewhere in Time, Seventh Son, Brave New World, A Matter of Life and Death, and The Final Frontier are all killer front to back.

All a matter of opinion, but I think Powerslave is one of the least consistent Maiden albums in their entire catalog.

Yeah Powerslave would be a masterpeice if it was a 4 song EP but the other tunes are lame.

And as to the person who asked if CD was my favorite album ever, yes. I listen to a lot of music. Mainly rock/metal I guess.

Cool. Another Maiden fan :thumbsup:

Well, you're right. I actually think Piece of Mind is better than Powerslave. I just meant that Powerslave turned Maiden into one the greatest heavy metal bands in the world. With Powerslave they went from average heavy metal band to epic band selling millions around the world. But yeah, music wise they have more consistent albums.

And as far as Bruce's solo stuff, I've always loved Accident of Birth. Is Skunkworks metal, rock, pop? Have never listened to it myself :tongue2:

Cool. Another Maiden fan :thumbsup:

Well, you're right. I actually think Piece of Mind is better than Powerslave. I just meant that Powerslave turned Maiden into one the greatest heavy metal bands in the world. With Powerslave they went from average heavy metal band to epic band selling millions around the world. But yeah, music wise they have more consistent albums.

And as far as Bruce's solo stuff, I've always loved Accident of Birth. Is Skunkworks metal, rock, pop? Have never listened to it myself :tongue2:

I'd partially agree with you, although The Number of the Beast is probably the landmark album, imo. Piece of Mind only has Quest For Fire as a flaw, but I kind of like that song, too. Even though it says dinosaurs and man walked the Earth at the same time. :lol:

Skunkworks is... I don't really know what genre you could stick it in, honestly. Grunge metal? Is that a genre? I don't even consider grunge a real genre, though. It's hard to describe. It's got Bruce's most scathing lyrics, though, lots of sci-fi metaphors, interesting melodies. It's not everybody's cup of tea, but it's my favorite album. It's also the perfect soundtrack to the book Ender's Game if you've ever read that one.

Is Accident the only one you've heard? Accident was my first Bruce album and definitely killer. Even the "weaker" tracks (Freak, Taking the Queen, Starchildren) are really cool, not to mention Darkside of Aquarius, Omega, and Arc of Space. Damn great album. It's actually not a favorite of mine when it comes to Bruce, though. I prefer Tyranny of Souls and The Chemical Wedding. Now those are two albums that are perfect front to back. :thumbsup:

And this isn't an Iron Maiden topic!!!!!

Good thing we're not talking about Maiden anymore, then! :P

Wedding is amazing. I also like Balls to Picaso :thumbsup:

Balls never seems to get any credit. I really like that one, too. Not a bad song on it. But the songs that didn't make the album are actually better than most of the album. :lol: The Breeding House and the No Way Outs are better than every song off the album with the exceptions of Cyclops and Tears of the Dragon.

And of course, Balls has Bruce Dickinson rapping! :wub: