Axl's voice in 2001

Marc,

You were at the Vegas 1/1/2001 gig. Axl's voice was on-key the whole night (I love the audience bootleg of the show), but he notably didn't have much vibrato or rasp in his voice like he always had in the past.

Was he singing clean on purpose as part of a new technique he was trying out, or do you think his voice had lost its grit from years of inactivity?

Any truth to the rumors Axl had throat surgery around that time?

I thought he sounded great! I was happy to see him making new music and getting out there and doing gigs. I always thought the focus should be on moving on instead of worrying about what could have been with the old band if they were still all on the same page 10 years llatter like they were back in 1985/1986. I think because he had such big plans for things in 1995, and when it didn't work out, I don't think He ever really got over it. I hope he is able to get some more new music out now. AS far as any Surgery, I don't know.

Edited by recklessroad

I thought he sounded great! I was happy to see him making new music and getting out there and doing gigs. I always thought the focus should be on moving on instead of worrying about what could have been with the old band if they were still all on the same page 10 years llatter like they were back in 1985/1986. I think because he had such big plans for things in 1995, and when it didn't work out, I don't think He ever really got over it. I hope he is able to get some more new music out now. AS far as any Surgery, I don't know.

Thanks for replying.

During the Vegas show Axl mentions that during soundcheck he got emotional singing the old songs for the first time in 8 years.

In interviews around that time Axl said he originally wanted to tour the new lineup without playing any of the old songs, but the band convinced him to perform them. Did Axl ever talk to you about that? Do you think GNR post-2000 would have been more successful if they didn't play any of the original lineup's songs and focused on the new stuff exclusively?

What were Axl's plans for 1995 - new record, tour, etc.?

Edited by Freddie Mercury's Ghost

Thanks for replying.

During the Vegas show Axl mentions that during soundcheck he got emotional singing the old songs for the first time in 8 years.

In interviews around that time Axl said he originally wanted to tour the new lineup without playing any of the old songs, but the band convinced him to perform them. Did Axl ever talk to you about that? Do you think GNR post-2000 would have been more successful if they didn't play any of the original lineup's songs and focused on the new stuff exclusively?

Here you can have some of the answers you want (if there's some truth written in the text):

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/top-posts/the-chinese-democracy-years-1994-2008/

About his clean voice, maybe a clue is this: New producer Youth (the former Killing Joke bassist, riding high after producing U2 and the Verve) tried to focus Axl on making new music, jamming in Axl’s kitchen on acoustic guitars, just to get him to sing again: “He hadn’t been singing for around 18 months,” Youth said later. “I think the record had turned into a real labour. He was stuck and didn’t know how to proceed, so he was avoiding it.”

Marc, in 2006 Axl came back in good shape, singing with a whole different voice--his classical rasp was back. Do you know what he did in that hiatus? Another thing: since Axl is very emotional, like you said, and it's quite obvious that he sings pretty worse when he's not in the mood (like in the last RIR), do you think his voice could have declined in the last two years because of some delicate emotional situation? People just talk a lot and is very curious about his voice changings (it's one of the FAQs).

Edited by GHS

Thanks for replying.

The name was made by the old line up, so the fans that come to the gigs expect it. I think the only way to do that is change the name of the band and even then the fans would still want to hear 5 old songs.