Timeline of the breakup?

Hey Marc, a couple of questions about the breakup.....

1) Slash sent a fax to MTV on October 30th 1996 saying he was out of the band. Axl sent his press release to MTV the next day on October 31st 1996. In it, Axl claimed Slash hadn't worked with GN'R since April 1994 outside of a "brief feel period" with Zakk Wylde and a "2 week trial period" in Late Fall 1995. Basically claiming that Slash had actually quit in '95. However there are interviews with Slash, interviews with Duff, interviews with Matt all from '96 which mention rehearsals with the full band, which included Slash. So when did he quit exactly, as best as you can remember?

2) You once said that Axl spent two years trying to get Slash back--What years? 94-96? 95-97? 96-98? Can you tell us about his attempts to get Slash back--what happened, how did Axl go about it, what went wrong, why didn't Slash come back?

3) What exactly went down with Matt being fired? Matt claims it was a fight over Paul Tobias which got him fired, Axl claimed Matt was looking to get fired and told people this, Duff claimed Matt was fired over an argument with Axl over Axl being late with the album.

4) Was there ever any consideration--as far as you know--of allowing Gilby to be back in the band after he was fired?

5) Did Axl ever talk about wanting to change the band's sound during the years of the breakup (94-97)? Like, was he that obsessed with industrial? Was he willing to do a classic AFD or UYI style album if it could've saved the old band?

6) Slash claimed once that Axl wanted GN'R to do MTV Unplugged around 94 or 95. Slash turned it down. Why would he have done that?

7) Slash said in a '95 interview he refused to do any "Stephanie Seymour piano ballads." Do you remember any talk on any of the band's part about new stuff or ballads written by Axl after the UYI tour? Why was Slash so against doing any more ballads?

Hey Marc, a couple of questions about the breakup.....

1) Slash sent a fax to MTV on October 30th 1996 saying he was out of the band. Axl sent his press release to MTV the next day on October 31st 1996. In it, Axl claimed Slash hadn't worked with GN'R since April 1994 outside of a "brief feel period" with Zakk Wylde and a "2 week trial period" in Late Fall 1995. Basically claiming that Slash had actually quit in '95. However there are interviews with Slash, interviews with Duff, interviews with Matt all from '96 which mention rehearsals with the full band, which included Slash. So when did he quit exactly, as best as you can remember?

2) You once said that Axl spent two years trying to get Slash back--What years? 94-96? 95-97? 96-98? Can you tell us about his attempts to get Slash back--what happened, how did Axl go about it, what went wrong, why didn't Slash come back?

3) What exactly went down with Matt being fired? Matt claims it was a fight over Paul Tobias which got him fired, Axl claimed Matt was looking to get fired and told people this, Duff claimed Matt was fired over an argument with Axl over Axl being late with the album.

4) Was there ever any consideration--as far as you know--of allowing Gilby to be back in the band after he was fired?

5) Did Axl ever talk about wanting to change the band's sound during the years of the breakup (94-97)? Like, was he that obsessed with industrial? Was he willing to do a classic AFD or UYI style album if it could've saved the old band?

6) Slash claimed once that Axl wanted GN'R to do MTV Unplugged around 94 or 95. Slash turned it down. Why would he have done that?

7) Slash said in a '95 interview he refused to do any "Stephanie Seymour piano ballads." Do you remember any talk on any of the band's part about new stuff or ballads written by Axl after the UYI tour? Why was Slash so against doing any more ballads?

1)It sounds to me like he quit on Oct 30 1996. Even through he did Snakepit a year before, he didn't ever quit until about then,

2)Around 95 and 96. It was to get Slash working on a new record.

3)I don't know for sure about Matt, it could be that maybe he said this is bullshit we need Slash back in the band or something like that.

4)I also don't know but He may have only been fired from the recording process and not the turing band?? I think Axl was looking for something different then what Gilby had to offer. After that Slash took him for Snakepit and there was no turning back.

5) I think Axl was looking for something different than he had already done, music was changing and Axl wanted to just make something better than anything else that was going on at the time. I don't think Axl even knew what he wanted, however he knew what he didn't want. These was some compromise on Axl's part for saying that he wanted to work on 3 or maybe 4 of Slash's songs. However it was not enough for Slash to hang around. I think Slash may have felt like he was not really going to have a say on how the songs we going to be finished and a lot of other things surrounding everything else that was going on with the band at the time.

6) I don't know?

7) Slash has always said he doesn't like to do ballads, but in the end they always rock when he does them. I don't even think he wanted to do "Estranged" but I'm sure he has to be happy with the way it came out.