Skyrim

OmarBradley

Skyrim is way too short as far as the main story goes, Oblivion wasn't stellar either however it did have a better pay off with the final boss. Skyrim's side content i.e College of Winterhold (Mages Guild), Thieves Guild, Companions (Fighters Guild) are all ridiculously short. Honestly in Morrowind you'd do as many quests as their are in those storylines in just 1 city to advance rank a bit.

Other main issue is that if you even dare maxing out Destruction for example you're basically going to be 2 or 3 shotting everything in sight including the final boss. That's not really fun.

You want money? Level alchemy or blacksmithing sell stuff to vendors where you bought the mats, never run out of gold.

There's alot of caves ect that you can explore like in the earlier games. However the difference is in Skyrim if you decide to do optional quests later you'll be virtually revisiting the same locations with adds respawned.

Yet another issue is artificial choice, for example during a Daderic mission you're given a non abandonable quest to lead a follower to a shrine and sacrifice them. There is literally no way to say no or alternative routes to complete the quest. Another basic example is the quest where the kid asks you to kill his nursery school teacher despite the fact that they may or may not both be evil. If this was Morrowind you'd have like multiple ways to finish those kind of quests. You wouldn't just get a NPC tells you what to do and you do it regardless.

Anyway Skyrim looks pretty and it's very streamlined compared to even Oblivion, it's not a bad game. It's just the Dragon Age Origins vs. Dragon Age 2 argument.

For me; Morrowind>Oblivion>Skyrim.

Of course Morrowind especially in a non heavily patched form is heavily bugged has dated graphics and a terrible combat system. It's still a proper Hardcore gaming experiencing.

Anyone play TES: Online? Can you give any details on how it plays vs. Skyrim outside the MMO elements of course?

definitely agree with a good amount of this. the thing about daggerfall and morrowind when it came to guilds was, the fact that you had to level certain skills to a certain point to advance in rank in the guild. you want to be a badass fighter? you better be bad ass with a sword. you want to be a badass mage? you better be good in magic. i hated the fact doing the quests in the mages guild and becoming guild master without even using magic at all.

as for the elder scrolls online. i played it during beta for 4 or 5 hours, and i thought it sucked. the game plays similar to skyrim in combat and all that. there is guilds you can join i dont think the dark brotherhood or the thieves guild is in yet. the crafting is straight out of skyrim, the HUD and all that looks like skryim.

There's alot of caves ect that you can explore like in the earlier games. However the difference is in Skyrim if you decide to do optional quests later you'll be virtually revisiting the same locations with adds respawned.

Yup, I'm going through that now. I explored a lot before visiting major cities/doing main storyline stuff, at least I can fast travel to the locations though, and it means more XP - although my character is pretty overpowered, especially with that Ebony Blade that absorbs health.

Anyone play TES: Online? Can you give any details on how it plays vs. Skyrim outside the MMO elements of course?
I read mixed reviews. If it wasn't pay to play, maybe I'd do it, but I just can't dedicate enough time to justify $15 or whatever it is a month for a game that's just "eh."

Yup, I'm going through that now. I explored a lot before visiting major cities/doing main storyline stuff, at least I can fast travel to the locations though, and it means more XP - although my character is pretty overpowered, especially with that Ebony Blade that absorbs health.

Those sorts of weapons are great - I personally use a stamina one and Blades Sword for filling those soul gems.

• 4 weeks later...

Just started getting into mods, any recommendations? I've got updated textures, new weather, updated gore ( :lol:), unique cloaks, and I think I DL'd immersive weapons/clothes but didn't install it yet. I know there's a few mods that are quests, so I'll get those at some point.

Also started a new character, wood elf assassin. My Redguard warrior is so overpowered it's almost not fun.

Just started getting into mods, any recommendations? I've got updated textures, new weather, updated gore ( :lol:), unique cloaks, and I think I DL'd immersive weapons/clothes but didn't install it yet. I know there's a few mods that are quests, so I'll get those at some point.

Also started a new character, wood elf assassin. My Redguard warrior is so overpowered it's almost not fun.

https://sites.google.com/site/skyrimsurvivorseries/frostfall/faq

that is my absolute favorite mod, adds a lot of survival elements to the game. dont go swimming in icy waters :lol: and always bring an axe or you are royally fucked.

Edited by bran