UK Music Hall of Fame

Gigger

Anyone who's not in the UK probably doesn't know much about it, but Channel 4 are doing a weekly programme where 10 bands/artists are nominated to represent each decade. The public then vote for their favourite and in a month or so they will each get inauguarted (sp?) into the UK Music Hall of Fame (one day they want it to be a museum type thing like the US one). Guns were nominated for the 80s although unfortunately I think it's unlikely they'll win.

There are 5 founder members: The Beatles, Madonna, Bob Marley, U2 and Elvis.

And each band/artist is meant to be judged in comparison to these guys.

My question is who would represent 2000-2004? It's meant to be a list of 10. And I can't really think of many that come close to comparing to any of the founder members? If you look at a potential list for the "naughties", and then the list for the sixties and seventies (Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin etc.) it says an awful lot about modern music, and how we've gone from true visionary artists such as John Lennon, Bob Dylan and of course Axl Rose to joke acts such as Justin Timberlake and Britney.

My list for the naughties so far would be:

(in no particular order)

1. Coldplay (who would get my vote, as the only truly good band in the list)

2. The Strokes

3. Britney Spears

4. Justin Timberlake

5. Christina Aguilera

6. The Libertines/Razorlight

7. Westlife

8. Eminem

9. Marilyn Manson

10. Avril Lavigne

(Really struggled with the last 2!)

I Just wanna stress this isn't my list of favourite bands/artists from the naughties, but a list of the ones who would actually get on a list like this!

What does everyone else think? I don't want to see lists of peoples favourite bands of the naughties! But a list of the bands who's commercial and visionary success would get them a place on a list like this. It paints a very depressing picture of modern music! And goes a long way in explaining why people like Kurt Loader are waiting for Axl to come and save modern music!

Did you notice that because of the whole pidophelia aspect Michael Jackson he was left off any kind of list and couldn't be voted for. He also wasn't a legend yet U2 got in? I would have thought the Stones or Sabbath or Zep would have been more of legends personally. :drevil:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bloody-milk

Too bad M.J. didn't make it.Michael Jackson,like it or not,is one of the best artists I have ever seen.Who can dance better than him?Who can sell records like him?NOBODY.He SHOULD be in that list.And what about Alice Cooper?The original shock rocker?Where is Queen?How can you put a dump blonde like Britney in that list and forget Michael Jackson and Queen?It's messed up!!!!

Michael Jackson, Who can dance better than him?

Paula Abdul, because she taught him to dance the way he does and he uses a lot of her routines, just watch her dance, you'll see the similarities, i'm not saying he's not a good dancer, he is, but she is better!

Guest Bloody-milk

OK.But still what artist can dance ,sing for hours and hours live that good in his condition?I'd like to see Paula Abdul dance like that for 5-6 hours non stop.And can she do the moon-walk?

Too bad M.J. didn't make it.Michael Jackson,like it or not,is one of the best artists I have ever seen.Who can dance better than him?Who can sell records like him?NOBODY.He SHOULD be in that list.And what about Alice Cooper?The original shock rocker?Where is Queen?How can you put a dump blonde like Britney in that list and forget Michael Jackson and Queen?It's messed up!!!!

You seem to have totally missed the point in my post. I was suggesting who could be in it for 2000-2004. MJ was in it for 70s and therefore doesn't qualify for 2000-2004. You can only be in one category. Interestingly they had REM in 80s when they were only really a big band in the 90s...

Guest Bloody-milk

No.You missed my post.First of all I haven't said M.J. should be in 2000-2004.I have just said he should be in the '70s ,or the '80s(Thriller) or the '90s (don't forget Dangerous).I just don't see how you can take a guy who has sold over 40 million records off a list such as that.Can you?

MJ was on the list for the 70s... Originally for his work in the Jackson 5, and as a solo artist in the 80s/90s and present day. You can only be nominated for one category, and it has to be the one you originally emerged in.

What are you talking about?

Are they acctually doing a noughties poll? If so its slightly stupid considering we aint even half way through them yet! (2 months is a long time :P )

If there was a noughties, I would vote for Franz Ferdinand. Dunno why. I like the name i guess.

Guest Bloody-milk

Apparently somebody said that M.J. is absent from this event.I understud that he was nowhere to be found in any categories.I am sorry,I didn't mean to make any false accusations.

Michael Jackson was on the 80s nomination list. However he should've been entered directly like The Beatles and Elvis instead the far less talented Madonna, lets face it she hasn't got as good as voice as him, can't dance as well as him and can't write anywhere near as good as him the only reason she's popular is cos of these stylists she employs to 'reinvent herself' and relying on controversy. Also I don't think U2 should've got a direct entry either - they should've given it to Led Zep instead.

PS did Paula Abdul teach MJ how to dance when MJ was 11 years old having number 1 hits with the Jackson 5?