The naughties vs the 60s

Gigger

I was watching the UK Music Hall of Fame 60s program last night and I just wanted to say that when you look at the music that came out of the 60s and the music coming out now you almost have to ashamed of the whole music industry.

For Bob Dylan we have Justin Timberlake, for Aretha Franklin we have Britney Spears, and instead of an era full of incredible singer-songwriters we have manufactured "pop".

I don't know when talent stopped being an important attribute in the music industry but it certainly seems to be true...

How different could it be if people like Lennon, Hendrix and Mercury were still around today!

I was watching the UK Music Hall of Fame 60s program last night and I just wanted to say that when you look at the music that came out of the 60s and the music coming out now you almost have to ashamed of the whole music industry.

For Bob Dylan we have Justin Timberlake, for Aretha Franklin we have Britney Spears, and instead of an era full of incredible singer-songwriters we have manufactured "pop".

I don't know when talent stopped being an important attribute in the music industry but it certainly seems to be true...

How different could it be if people like Lennon, Hendrix and Mercury were still around today!

Shit I missed the 60's :angry: I watched the others and got all my friends and family to vote for GNR.Question did they mention The Rolling Stones in the 60's?

I agree with you music these days is so fucking crap,excuse the language :P It's all about 15 mins of fame and being a freggin celebrity.What the hell happened to being talented and respected and not give a fuck about record sales.It's quality afterall that should count.

I find myself more and more listening to the stuff my dad did back in the day because most of it stands the test of time and still remains fresh.It is so hard to get excited over bands these days,because they have such a short shelf date.

It is so sad to say but rock is long dead :(

Edited by RED

Yeah they did... The bands were

The Beach Boys

Aretha Franklin

Bob Dylan

Diana Ross & The Supremes

James Brown

Jimi Hendrix

The Kinks

The Rolling Stones

Simon & Garfunkel

Velvet Underground

The obvious emisson being.... The Who...

The Beatles are honoury members, so no they didn't leave them out...

The Beach Boys

Aretha Franklin

Bob Dylan

James Brown

Jimi Hendrix

The Kinks

The Rolling Stones

Simon & Garfunkel

Velvet Underground

I love The Kinks but I would have placed The Who without a doubt above The Kinks.Strange :scared:

Theres still good bands now, its just most are out of the mainsteam. There was shitty pop bands in the 60s too...

Which modern bands would you place in the same league as Bob Dylan, the Rolling Stones, The Beatles, the Beach Boys, Velvet Underground, The Kinks, Hendrix or The Who?

And bare in mind they're all from the same decade.

Theres still good bands now, its just most are out of the mainsteam. There was shitty pop bands in the 60s too...

Of course,granted every era has it's shittie bands but you have to admit these days good bands/artists are far and few between.

Even if Hendrix,Lennon were still about you have to wonder if they maybe would have sold out and become a parody of themselves.

Guest Bloody-milk

MetallicA.The '90s MetallicA.In my vision their albums are essential for rock-Loard,Reload and S & M.

Don't forget Guns N' Roses and their Use Your Illusion I and II.

KoRn - Issues

Dido- Life for rent -in the divas section if there is one.

Is David Bowie in?Cause if he is not he should be in the '90s with his album Hours.

Sure..the talent lacks in the '90s but still..not inexistent.

The Beach Boys

Aretha Franklin

Bob Dylan

James Brown

Jimi Hendrix

The Kinks

The Rolling Stones

Simon & Garfunkel

Velvet Underground

did the who make it? i think they should be included in the 70;s really

man looking at the list the 60's were by far the best musical decade ever.. and it will go down as the best in history..

the kinks

the velvet underground

the beatles

the who

the stones (yeh i love their 60's material)

pink floyd the forefront of psychedelia in the 60's

fuck the 90's is my second favourite decade,

why do people think mtv is the only musical channel? i dont even watch it so i dont know much about justin timberlake and all that rubbish, i watch channels like the amp and vh2, where they play good music. theres no love and passion in the music anymore man, and any cunt that tells you they are in it for the passion theyare probly lying as they are all merely puppets on strings.

MetallicA.The '90s MetallicA.In my vision their albums are essential for rock-Loard,Reload and S & M.

Don't forget Guns N' Roses and their Use Your Illusion I and II.

KoRn - Issues

Dido- Life for rent -in the divas section if there is one.

Is David Bowie in?Cause if he is not he should be in the '90s with his album Hours.

Sure..the talent lacks in the '90s but still..not inexistent.

Bowie was included for the 70s...

KoRn- ?????? Err... I don't even know where to start!

Metallica - would qualify for the 80s but they weren't included.

GnR were 80s in the list...

Dido, Dido, DIDO??????????????????? Errr... are you insane? Are you insane? Yeah she's a real fucking musical goddess? Right up there with the true great female artists...

How do you think Aretha Franklin would feel about being put in the same category as Dido?

Modern music doesn't compare to the old stuff... FACT! The music industry sold out a long time ago...

The last great era for music in the UK? Brit Pop... then Robbie fucking Williams came along and killed music forever...

Which modern bands would you place in the same league as Bob Dylan, the Rolling Stones, The Beatles, the Beach Boys, Velvet Underground, The Kinks, Hendrix or The Who?

And bare in mind they're all from the same decade.

Well seeing as i don't like any of those bands that much...

You don't like any of those bands? Have you heard them? They're fucking genius...

Out of interest which modern bands (that are out of the mainstream) are "great" as you say... I'd be interested to hear them, cos I can't think of any... And I mean bands that emerged in the 21st century. The only one I can think of that one day may be considered a great band is Coldplay....

Guest Bloody-milk

First of all don't concider a band like KoRn to be bad just because you don't like it.Dido is a diva,like it or not.I have heard her sing LIVE (it was live not playback I am sure of that)and she was breathtaking.Sure you can't compare the modern music with the old one but in this case we have no choice.We must select good artists from this period and I think KoRn and Dido can be accepted in this cathegory.I am not saying they are better than the old ones but we must fill the list,don't we?

I can't believe I'm doing it now but it's a special circumstance...

Korn and even Velvet Underground (probably not even in the top 5 best bands of the 60s) don't belong in the same sentence let alone bands like the Stones or the Beatles...

Modern music is a joke and the bands you used in your argument prove this.

And anyway, I do not believe when people look back on the defining albums of the 90s and 21st century that Issues would even rank in the top 20.

In the 60s their was albums like Pet Sounds, Sgt Peppers, Highway 61 Revisited, Are you Experienced and Say it Loud I'm Black and I'm proud. This albums have cultural and historical relevance... They represent their era and played parts in Vietnam, the Civil Rights movement or just generally redefined music...

I once heard a music critic say that for a band or artist to be truly great they have to release music that no one has ever done, and no one will ever be able to repeat... It's these people that influence people. Does Dido fall in that category? Will Dido ever influence anyone with her boring music that all sounds the same?

If you'd have argued Eminem (who I hate) I may have accepted it... but Dido... please...

I can't believe I'm doing it now but it's a special circumstance...

Korn and even Velvet Underground (probably not even in the top 5 best bands of the 60s) don't belong in the same sentence let alone bands like the Stones or the Beatles...

Modern music is a joke and the bands you used in your argument prove this.

And anyway, I do not believe when people look back on the defining albums of the 90s and 21st century that Issues would even rank in the top 20.

In the 60s their was albums like Pet Sounds, Sgt Peppers, Highway 61 Revisited, Are you Experienced and Say it Loud I'm Black and I'm proud. This albums have cultural and historical relevance... They represent their era and played parts in Vietnam, the Civil Rights movement or just generally redefined music...

I once heard a music critic say that for a band or artist to be truly great they have to release music that no one has ever done, and no one will ever be able to repeat... It's these people that influence people. Does Dido fall in that category? Will Dido ever influence anyone with her boring music that all sounds the same?

If you'd have argued Eminem (who I hate) I may have accepted it... but Dido... please...

fucking too right man.. the last cultural explosion was Oasis, which makes them one of the best bands ever. Music became shit after 1998, have you heard KASABIAN man? they are fucking great, like primal scream but more intense.

Edited by supernova

Guest Bloody-milk

Well Eminem,I am not sure if he is original,his lyrics are common.Sure,Issues is a great album(listen to it,it is original),sure it's not the best and can't be compared with older albums but we have to select icons for this event.Dido has nice lyrics her songs have been no.1 many times.Life for rent is a great album and I think we need more artists like her.I don't like to think that talent is absent 100% from our modern age because it's not.

Here it's about how you see things.I see that in this fake-musical-age there is still that spark of hope,people who CAN sing and I think we should treat them better because they can sing better than the rest.

Their has been great bands in the past... Who's songs define eras... Dido and KoRn aren't like that... FACT! The Music Industry sold out, and i'm just wondering whether the damage is irrepairable.

I'm afraid it may be.... God Axl, come and save us from Simon fucking Cowell...

Guest Bloody-milk

Well I agree.90% of the modern music is not good.But don't forget that 10%.I enjoy Dido's songs:in them she says that she doesn't want to give up on love and hope.The reason KoRn and Dido can't change the musical scene is because nobody listens to quality-music anymore.That's why nobody listens to Guns N Roses. It's the sad truth but it doesn't mean quality music can't survive.Quality music exists as long as decent people exist.So that's why I still have hopes.