when will we have another band like oasis?

obscurity on to the dream

do you think there will be a new musical revolution soon? a new scene? a new wave of bands that will wash away the current style of bands much like oasis did in the 90's personally i fucking love the bands that are out right now, except they are all way too hyped and something is missing, the "BIG BAND" is missing...

It gets harder and harder these days for a super group to be born. Super groups these days are like the Good Charlottes, and Green days and even Velvet Revolvers and Audioslave(bands labled super groups from the get go). They're big in the sense that they sell alot of albums but they don't generate much hype outside of the album sales. I honestly think there are only a few true Massive Super groups left.

U2 = Super Mega band

Metallica = Super group

Bon Jovi = Super Group

The Rolling Stones = Super group

AC/DC = Super group

That's about it. Those are bands that can tour and sell out 90 000 seat stadiums months on end, in any part of the world. The Rolling Stones and AC./ DC seem to be hanging on becasue of the nostalgia factor. Metallica will always be huge, Bon Jovi continues to sell bundles of albums even though the new stuff is serioulsy lacking and they still tour stadiums. U2 is the biggest of them all and maybe they'll in the end be the last true Super Mega Group. I agree that there alot off good bands out there but somthing is missing. The mega band. A Guns N' roses is what's missing. bands used to be able to capture your imagination. Now they capture your attention only. I don't know. Who do you guys think are the super groups of the world? There really hasn't been a new "BIG BAND" since Oasis. And before that it was Guns, U2, Metallica, AC/DC and so on. Not even Nirvana was massive the way they are portrayed. Pearl jam actually out sold Nirvana when they first came out so... Yeah Oasis is the last new "BIG BAND" But how global were they really? I mean they didn't exactly light North America on fire.

*note: I don't say U2 is the biggest of all bands only to spite people. It's just that they are the biggest band in the world.

Edited by Bono

I think you guys are missing the point of the thread. I'm pretty sure the original post was asking when we'll see another band explode and become massive world wide the way Oasis did. Who cares if you like or dislike Oasis. That wasn't the point. At least I don't think it was the point.

I think you guys are missing the point of the thread. I'm pretty sure the original post was asking when we'll see another band explode and become massive world wide the way Oasis did. Who cares if you like or dislike Oasis. That wasn't the point. At least I don't think it was the point.

Some people seem unable to remain objective about stuff they don't like. They would rather slag something off that they don't like then give an objective opinionated answer to the question that was asked in the first place. Shows an incredible amount of ignorance in my opinion!

I don't think the music industry at the moment is in a position where "big" bands can emerge. It's too rap orientated. Maybe we'll see a "big" rap group emerge in the next few years but I don't think we'll see a "big" rock band emerge for a long time.

Edited by failure_to_communicate

Some people seem unable to remain objective about stuff they don't like. They would rather slag something off that they don't like then give an objective opinionated answer to the question that was asked in the first place. Shows an incredible amount of ignorance in my opinion!

I don't think the music industry at the moment is in a position where "big" bands can emerge. It's too rap orientated. Maybe we'll see a "big" rap group emerge in the next few years but I don't think we'll see a "big" rock band emerge for a long time.

True. But I don't see rap groups ever becoming these huge globally massive bands like Guns, U2, Metallica, the Stones etc. Music now is at a point where it seems that nearly everything has been done. The next big thing I don't think will happen untill a band creates somthing altogether new. But really what else is there. Plus with the attention span of people today bands are big one week and forgotten the next. Record companys don't give bands time to grow anymore. They pump them out like little pez candys. Bands today last as long as a pez candy. Maybe Axl will bring something epic to the fore front and "Guns N' Roses" will be the next big thing.

True. But I don't see rap groups ever becoming these huge globally massive bands like Guns, U2, Metallica, the Stones etc.

Then you are truely mistaken.

The likes of The Beastie Boys, NWA, Eminem, Tupac and Nas have already entered the music history sheets forever. They are as big if not bigger then U2 or Metallica.

The fact that you're not interested in Rap doesn't mean there aren't any Rap artists who are an important part of music history. Just like a guy who only likes Rap and not Rock/Metal wouldn't give half a shit about fucking Rolling Stones or Guns n' Roses.

That whole close minded approach of yours is disturbing.

True. But I don't see rap groups ever becoming these huge globally massive bands like Guns, U2, Metallica, the Stones etc.

Then you are truely mistaken.

The likes of The Beastie Boys, NWA, Eminem, Tupac and Nas have already entered the music history sheets forever. They are as big if not bigger then U2 or Metallica.

The fact that you're not interested in Rap doesn't mean there aren't any Rap artists who are an important part of music history. Just like a guy who only likes Rap and not Rock/Metal wouldn't give half a shit about fucking Rolling Stones or Guns n' Roses.

That whole close minded approach of yours is disturbing.

They're bigger then U2 and Metallica :rolleyes: , not even, these bands play things called instruments. And people recongnise that, rap is for thugs and kids who live by MTV. Rap isn't horrible, but I firmly believe it wouldn't be as big as it is without the music indsutry forcing it upon us becasue they "think" we like it, turning it into a trend just like they do everything else. None of those rap artists (Tupac maybe, he spoke to alot of people and shed alot of light onto his life and poverty) will become classics like Beatles, Rolling Stones, and Led Zeppelin. Get your fuckin liberal idealology out of here....people dont have to embrace every fuckin kind of music under the sun, especially when they feel justified in there opinion.

Lets say you put Eminem into the shoes of Led Zeppelin or The Rolling Stones, bands that didn't have the over-exposure and the we-have-the-only-say-in-the-trends-of-music MTV, Eminem would not have left the underground of Detroit. He's a product of the music industry.....So in my opinion we'll be hard pressed to see a genuinely "big" anything becasue the music industry (truley ignorant, money hungry, fuckheads :fuckyou: ) isn't letting the "cream" rise.

Edited by AbomanibleHoman