Can the new band emulate the old ones success?

Gcam

I think the new bands tunes such as The Blues, Madagascar and Chinese Democracy can prompt a new era in rock music, removing the likes of KoRn and Limp Bizkit just like the old band kicked rock music into touch from 1986 onwards ;)

I really think so!

Don't underestimate Axl Rose!

GNR wasn't present back in 1989 and 1990, but made a very strong return in 1991. News magazines refered to it as: THE RETURN OF GUNS N ROSES.

Axl has always been a good entertainer, plus by the bootlegs that we've been able to hear from the previous concerts (Rio and Vegas), we know these songs rock.

Eric Romano

MYGNR.COM Forum

Yeah, and line up changes have taken place in the past and it didn't stop them. People said when steven Adler left in 1990 and even more so in '91 when Izzy left that they wouldn't be the same again and that they would fade into insignificance. But then came the Use Your Illusion World Tour.

I say no more.

Yeah, I think they can..

Madagascar and The Blues are hits.. To get people in to GnR and the new rock era they will be leading forward  ;D

But also songs like Chinese Democracy and Oh My God are Great..

I alos think that Rhiayd and the Bedouins and Silkworms got potential..

And People really got to listen more to Oh My God, Its fucking great!

I agree with you that Oh My God! is a kick ass tune, in fact I sat through the Radio1 rock show (in the middle of the night) full of KoRn and Limp Bizkit to hear it's exclusive first airing in Britain in November 1999. ;D

The reason why I think people will love the new music ( also a good part of the old fans) is Axl, not anybody can get such an energy trough the music, Noone can sing like Axl and even though its getting a little bit more electronised its still rock just adjusted for the time we are in.. It will still keep the Axl touch..  :D

You can also take in that the new members are all Great musicians

But ofcourse, this has to do with what you liked in the old music, If it was Slash`s bluesy gitarplay or some of the stuff Izzy or Duff contributed with, the songs they wrote or just Duff`s excellent bass playing, then Maybe the new music won`t be any good for you..

But If you liked Axl, his way of writing songs, his energy and vocal, the epic songs he wrote and his perfectionisme then the new GnR will rock the next years for you..

For now we don`t know anything about the old members song writing skills, but I am sure that the people Axl has picked is all good song writers, as he had a lot of people to choose from..

If you can't grow and change and adapt,  you die.  Axl wanted to grow.  Slash didn't.  And apparently doesn't.  That doesn't mean I don't love what they used to be. Slash is a killer guitarist.  And for what he does no one is better.  And Duff is amazing as well. What I'm saying is that I can also love what Axl's doing now.  And it wouldn't have happened with Slash.

Nathan, you get so worked up about the name thing!  I don't disagree with you entirely - mostly though.  Everyone who followed the old knows the contribution of the other guys and will never forget them.  New members will also do their research as we have done and know the truth of the contributions.  But really, why such a drama over the name to the point of sounding so personally offended?  I know the old members weren't happy about it but what's done is done.  They are getting their own back on it in small ways, i.e. not allowing WTTJ on Black Hawk Down.

A big point is what attracted you to gnr in the first place.  For me, it was the lyrics that I could really relate to and Axls ability to put those feelings into the songs.  The music makes it a complete package, adds the power to the songs granted, but in my opinion musicians can be substituted.  I've heard many great guitarists however, I've not heard another Axl.  He contributed a great deal to the song writing in the early days and being the perfectionist he is I think he would have set the standards for most of the songs, meaning he would have shaped a lot of them although maybe not actually written them.  There are very few that don't have his personality written all over them.  The amount of contribution is not recorded though so we will never know, i.e. Izzy 30%, Axl 30%, etc.

Personally I think they can achieve the same level of success.  We have had such an overload of girl/boy shyte over the last few years but the music industry is starting to see some rock bands come through again which is a new outlet for the younger ones that can't relate to all that soft c.rap.  Many older people think the likes of Blink and Limp are a joke but for some of the younger generation, this is their first major introduction to harder music.  There are still plenty of angry, screwed up kids out there that will take to the new music in an instant.

Do you remember, Nathan, listening to You're Crazy or WTTJ at top notch on the stereo, head banging like your head was going to fall off, that feeling?  I have no doubt at all the new fans will feel the same thing with the new music.  Us older one's will appreciate the sound of the man just as much.  That's all that really matters, IMO.

Wow... that was kind of excacly what I thought when I read through the discussion. I just have to say that I didn't have to 'grow' into the new music, just because I was into the old. I love the old, I love the new, and I loved it the first time I heard it.

Ok, just giving you a short one :)

Of course the new band does NOT sound exactly like izzy, duff and slah! It's impossible for a musician to sound exactly like another, however, these new guys are doing a really good job and even if it doesn't sound as it did before, it still sounds kick ass great. Did you hear bucketheads clean solo from rir3? I just say: damn that guy can play.

now you're  gonna say "but i want the old slash sound."

well, I don't have an answer... It's kind of like comparing... van halen and kirk hammet... they're just as good but doesn't have the same sound...

about that when they release chinese democracy as the new gnr, they wont be able to get back together as the old band. I think you're right. But... it's already kind of too late... And I also agree with you that I would do anything to get the old band back... Just because they are the Guns N' Roses. However, I also think that the new band kicks ass, and I don't want to miss their contribution to the musical society (...).

Think I've got it all covered?

Look,  I didn't bother to read all the posts here, I read the first few lines of the first post and realized its the same old Bullshit.  #1...everybody is gonna think differently about the new band.  I love the new band.  I loved the old band.  The new band can handle it...and I could give a shit less if the new band sold as many copies of the album as the old band could sell.  I know I'm gonna buy it,  why worry about other people.  Out with the old, in with the new.

• 1 year later...

This is the thing that really bothers me the most,he should have just gotten another name for his new band.

Even if his new albums will be perfect,I will never be able to say proudly:I love the new Guns n Roses cd,I'd feel stupid because this isn't GNR this is a totally different band.But I'm sure everybody said this a thousand times

so we should all just let it rest.And about the new band having the same impact as the old band it only depends on how much inspiration Axl has had while making it,and how good are the other members at expressing

what Axl wants them to.Maybe these albums Axl is talking about actually reached perfection at one point,but Axl wanted even more,so he kept putting "finishing touches" untill he lost

what he had accomplished,so we can call CD and the followers"The Unknown Masterpieces" because we'll probably never

know how good they could have been.This thought really scares me because he would be destroyed if he

realized he's worked for nothing all these years and he's ruined his last chance at leaving something wonderful to the world.

I really think so!

Don't underestimate Axl Rose!

GNR wasn't present back in 1989 and 1990, but made a very strong return in 1991. News magazines refered to it as: THE RETURN OF GUNS N ROSES.

Axl has always been a good entertainer, plus by the bootlegs that we've been able to hear from the previous concerts (Rio and Vegas), we know these songs rock.

Eric Romano

MYGNR.COM Forum

You forget though that during that time AFD was still strong on the charts / selling well / and getting massive air play.  They were smack in the middle of the the juggernaut AFD and Lies was keeping the fans happy while they worked on UYI's.

This time around they are 10 years removed (from a commercial or mainstream point of view) and haven't done anything of note since '93 when the tour ended.

2002 was the return of GNR's too... but it lasted 29 days amongst poor turnout and mixed reviews.

True, don't count Axl out.  But he did some major damage in '02 and whats transpired since then.

Outside of this site he is being refered to as the "Michael Jackson" of rock and jokes ranging from his attire to his appearence are common :( ...If Axl thinks he had his work cut out for him in '02 -- well after what happened he's really got an uphill climb now !