the racial roots of rock

gn'r666

as most hard rock fans know, rock has a great amount of influence from the blues, which was invented in the black community. what many dont know, however, is that the first rock music was also created by black musicians. i found this interesting, because rock is considered a "white" thing these days(NOT BEING RACIST--JIMI HENDRIX ROCKS!). many dont know rock wasnt always this way. the first records were bought by white kids who rocked out to them(this being the days of segregation) and didnt know that they were listening to black artists.

just another stereotype, but one i was curious about. i wonder how things got this way. :devil:

Edited by gn'r666

I took a class called "History of Rock N' Roll" and it covers most of what you are writing. Elvis copied Chuck Berry. If you want an analogy you could say the rock back then was like rap. And it eventually grew mainstream and the white people started to do it and became quite famous. (Vanalli Ice, M&M (HAHA))

Rock and Roll is Black music.

Eminem said:

"I'm not the first king of controversy

I am the worst thing since Elvis Presley

to do black music so selfishly

and used it to get myself wealthy"

And yeah, he's right. Elvis raised many eyebrows. Rock and Roll is Black music. But as it evolved to Rock and Metal, it's "White" music right now.

Though I refuse to label music as "White" or "Black" I think it's very rasict, music is everybody's.

as most hard rock fans know, rock has a great amount of influence from the blues, which was invented in the black community. what many dont know, however, is that the first rock music was also created by black musicians. i found this interesting, because rock is considered a "white" thing these days(NOT BEING RACIST--JIMI HENDRIX ROCKS!). many dont know rock wasnt always this way. the first records were bought by white kids who rocked out to them(this being the days of segregation) and didnt know that they were listening to black artists.

just another stereotype, but one i was curious about. i wonder how things got this way. :devil:

ive been thinking about that a lot, how its concidered white music and all that.

Blues was created mainly by black people, and the blues spawned into rock n' roll. Someone that I know once said that Ray Charles sucked, and that he just did "n****r" music, so I gave that person a big lecture on how rock music is actually 'black music.'

ive been thinking about that a lot, how its concidered white music and all that, when its started from black people.

Blues was created mainly by black people, and the blues spawned into rock n' roll. Someone that I know once said that Ray Charles sucked, and that he just did "n****r" music, so I gave that person a big lecture on how rock music is actually 'black music.'

What I would give that person is a huge punch to his fucking face.

Blues was created mainly by black people, and the blues spawned into rock n' roll.  Someone that I know once said that Ray Charles sucked, and that he just did "n****r" music, so I gave that person a big lecture on how rock music is actually 'black music.'

No, you would not of. You're so e-hardcore quit talkin out your ass. You would of asked him for his email so you could of sent him a 10 page paper on the roots of rock and metal, and why his ignorant neo-con opinion is fundamentaly flawed :rolleyes:

what people tend to forget about Elvis is that he was equally influenced by Country and Western music of the time as well. His sound was a mix of Blues , Gospel, andCountry. Now, he did covers of R&B songs such as Hound Dog, My Baby Left Me, and others, but he didn't do them in the way they were originally done. He did his own interpretation of them. Which in his own unique way, pushed them through the Elvis Filter. Adding elements of Country, Gospel and R&B.

To say Elvis simply ripped off or copied black artists is a very short-sided and inaccurate view.

Edited by artfromtex

Blues was created mainly by black people, and the blues spawned into rock n' roll.  Someone that I know once said that Ray Charles sucked, and that he just did "n****r" music, so I gave that person a big lecture on how rock music is actually 'black music.'

No, you would not of. You're so e-hardcore quit talkin out your ass. You would of asked him for his email so you could of sent him a 10 page paper on the roots of rock and metal, and why his ignorant neo-con opinion is fundamentaly flawed :rolleyes:

Maybe then you would get off my dick.

Nobody likes dickriders, cum breath.