80's rock

brud

When you look at the late seventies to early nineties hair metal and the 80's style of rock was a major force in music. The singers could wail, the giutarists were phonominal and they wrote some of the best ballads and rock tunes of all time, yet its kind of the forgotton period and people just kind of snear at it, why?

These bands took influences from the punk bands, from the likes of the Stones and Zep,Springsteen,Tom Petty and to a degree moulded that into their own style.

I'm a big fan of the 80's rock scene with bands like Van Halen,Hanai Rocks,GNR, Motley Crue,Poison,Wasp, Bon Jovi,Magnum, Def Leppard etc are all fantastic bands yet people seem to overlook them because of how they looked and not for their music. :drevil:

Yeah true.

I believe that today it is more important to make some video and that you are always present in the media (not to mention you have to look ''great'' - lots of make up and stuff), rather than making great music.

During the late 70's, 80' and begining of 90's band did not make video for every song bur the songs were (and still are) masterpieces.

I think it's social decadence. The better you look the people want to be more like you, regardless that you are no artist and you are a shit.

Let's just hope it will not last long.

80's rock is trashed because.. it sucks. So what if the singers could 'wail' and the lead guitarists had skills? Its the whole band that sucks. The music they made was so commerical, so pieced together by the industry. They just stuck simple, VERY SIMPLE, chord progressions together and wrote a wailing guitar solo on top of it. That's the reason Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, the 70's rock bands are considered the masters. They were creative, and they made original, innovative music. Rock of the 80's was basically the lead singer and the lead guitarist, everything else was basically just filler.

I love the 80s aswell

I liked Hair Metal bands. Their style was probably the coolest ever and most importantly their music was great. Some bands such as Poison, Deff Leppard and Crue made soem of the best ballads and rockers I've ever heard.

However, the 80s were not only about Hair metal bands, many true Rock bands like Guns N' Roses or Bon Jovi (yes, I dont consider Bon Jovi a hair metal band) were born. In addition to that, bands form the 70s became more successful putting out their best work during the 80s.....Aerosmith, Queen, U2.....would be some great examples.

I think that probably the 70s was the decade when most of the best bands in history of rock were created...but as I said before, they out oyt their best during the 80s

In conclusion, the 80s was a decade in which we had a lot of quality bands, the best bands ever, active and making the best music. And yes, hair metal can be cheesy sometiems but it is 100000000 times better than nu-metal, gay punk or any other crap we have nowadays.

Yeah totally, bands like Twisted sister,Poison,Pretty boy floyd etc could be cheesy sometimes but they still fucking rocked. I think with the eighties you had Bon Jovi,Gnr,Poison n Leppard but you also had the likes of Iron Maiden,Dire Straits and as you said Gunner boy Aerosmith n all that too, How could it possibly be described as bad? :drevil:

My mates who arent into 8o's metal, just think they look gay with the way they dress, so i guess it really is just not seeing past the image, they don't even give it a chance

It's true. Even now when I see the old vids. on T.V. I chuckle. But that was part of the appeal. It was a fun time, things weren't so serious.

I miss Headbanger's Ball. That was a cool show.

Yeah I love the 80s thing too. when some of my friends see pictures of the bands that i like they say really stupid stuff like "whay do they have long hair" or "he looks like a girl"

It is really anoying. I have friends who act like they are into the same music as me but when i talk about a band they always say "what do they sind again. i know i heard their songs before"

the reason it gets slated is because record companies took over and began to create really fake hairmetal bands just to make money, not for the music.

i mean there were some great bands like motley, wasp, gnr etc but there was a lot of bands who just plain fake because they were put together by the record company and music was the least important thing. it was all about marketing and image.

another reason why it is isn't liked is because a lot of bands seemed to only care about the lifestyle and not about the music.

but if you like it then who cares?