Dont Believe The Truth

The Meaning of Soul

OASIS

DON’T BELIEVE THE TRUTH

The influence of the Britpop years has really come into fruition recently as the kids that first picked up their guitars a decade ago, perhaps after attending Knebworth or such likes, find their band’s now exalted in the music press. Oasis, the kings of the Britpop jungle, are now roaring back into the fray, intent on reclaiming their crowns from the young upstarts. The question is how relevant are they to survive in the scene they inspired and will anyone be listening when the empire strikes back?

In terms of relevance, it’s easy to see where Noel has soaked up influences from the garage rock urchins of late; ‘Mucky Fingers’ is a hugely exciting stomper, expertly evoking the Velvets and sticking two fingers up at spotty New York kids in a glorious ‘Anything you can do…’ manner. Even Liam has picked up the baton and kicked things up a gear in his self-penned ‘Meaning Of Soul’ - a pounding rant that throws down the gauntlet to his competition: "Get out of my way, man / I dig what you say, but that ain’t enough". The omnipresent waft of ‘Street Fightin’ Man’ on first single ‘Lyla’ does little to detract from its sheer balls - expect this to be a cracking live favourite henceforth.

Elsewhere, signs of artistic maturity serve to relish. Noel’s lyrics continue to flourish - "Suddenly I’ve found that I’ve lost my way in this city / The streets and the thousands of colours all bleed into one" opens ‘Part Of The Queue’, a stirring admission of isolation, with rollicking drums from Zac Starkey anchoring the passionate waltz. But it’s the development of Liam and indeed his comrades Gem and Andy Bell in their songwriting that signals the real rebirth of Oasis. Written, apparently, after a late night pub chat with God (as you do), Liam’s ballad ‘Guess God Thinks I’m Abel’ is astounding. Firstly because for once he’s not claiming to be the Man himself, and secondly because it’s leaps and bounds past ‘Little James’ and ‘Songbird’. Whether it’s about God or his good lady wife is unclear, but if the title suggests a fraternal theme, then "You could be my best friend / Stay up all night long / You could be my railroad / We’d go on and on" surely ranks up there with the proud demonstration of brotherly love in the chorus of Noel’s ‘Acquiesce’.

Andy Bell has the honour of opening Oasis’ sixth album with ‘Turn Up The Sun’, an accomplished preface that perfectly introduces Liam’s sneer to proceedings. Later, his ‘Keep The Dream Alive’ betrays its naff title with a rousing chorus of almost Mercury Rev proportions. Gem’s sole contribution, ‘A Bell Will Ring’, sung by Liam, is a thriving guitar-heavy rocker that kicks up a final storm before clearing the way for the epic finale, ‘Let There Be Love’. Here we find all that is great in Oasis: Liam’s tender side shining over sweet Lennon-ish strumming, before big brother cuts in with some reassuring words of support until the whole thing draws to a wholly enchanting finish.

So will anyone be listening? Put it this way, you should. There is a reason why Oasis are elevated to Godlike status, and this album is a timely reminder of what they’re still capable of. Yeah, they’ll still be accused of pilfering and outstaying their welcome, but **** it - ‘DBTT’ is like meeting a new girlfriend and bumping into an old friend all rolled into one. It’s alluring, familiar, provocative and intimate; it’s good to have them back in your life. Long live the Kings.

Edited by The Meaning of Soul

Fuck im looking foreward to this.

ive been listening to them so much lately, brought their 4 dvds as well,lol

i was pretty disapointed when i heard lyla, its ok, but no idea why they released it as a single, as they are trying to establish themselves in the modern music scene again.

Every other 1st single has pretty much been the best on the album, and i know Noel said its like the 5th or so ???, not too worried atm.

lyla is embarsing

i think they should have carried on in the same style of standing on the shoulder of giants which was fresh and experimental (for oasis!)

they seem to be trying to recapture the 90s but they can't so we end up with albums like 'heathen chemistry', which was just appaling.

dbtt will be exactly the same.

lyla is embarsing

i think they should have carried on in the same style of standing on the shoulder of giants which was fresh and experimental (for oasis!)

they seem to be trying to recapture the 90s but they can't so we end up with albums like 'heathen chemistry', which was just appaling.

dbtt will be exactly the same.

DBTT wont be a step backwards....

Standing on the shoulder of giants.. and Heathen Chemistry were albums made by a band finding their feet, and searching for that sound, dont forget that Andy Bell and Gem Archer are possibly more talented than Noel Gallagher. Noel said there were no obvious singles on the album; which is so exciting to hear, and therefore he had to use a demo and add liams vocals to a song for a single (Lyla)

This album will piss all over the last 2 albums, even though i think standing on the shoulder of giants is brilliant.