Let the music do the talking

rockerman

"Show of hands on this one people"(GNR NATION-DUFFMAN ;D) What do you think made GNR so big in the first place?image or music?

Slash has said that it was a fluke. Just the timing.

Some say it was because all the metal/hairbands had gone limp. GNR brought back hard rock. Somehave said the image was the issue and that the band including Axl were over rated club material.(we all know that was a joke)

Was it the harder edge songs WTTJ, Nighttrain  that did it or was it the ballads like SCOM, NR,Patience DONT CRY Ect??? I know that is what put them up finacially and was the majority of the airplay.

I think it was a combination of the two. But in the end the music endures.

I think it was the edgier harder rock sound, the "don't f*ck with me" attitude, the image, the lyrics  ... the whole package. But you're right, timing was key. The music world was looking for a change -- just as it is now.

It was definately the hard roc sound that got them noticed. Noone else on the club scene could match them. But songs like Sweet Child and November Rain smashed the listening audience wide open, and took them into a new league, but it was definately the Fuck You attitude that got them noticed.

Mr Sparkle , you saw them in LA 85-86? :D , Did you see them on the US hell tour from which they released Live like a Suicide , what was that like cause I've got a seen bootleg videos from then and they were F#*kin awesome so it musta been incredible live  ;D .

Peace GnR Nation   8)

Image was very important but it was ultimately the music that made them the biggest band in the world. If it had been to much because of the image Guns would have disappeard like the rest of bands at the time have done, bands like Poison, Motley Crue, RATT, Skid Row, Def Leppard, Great White, Twisted Sister where are they now?

Mr Sparkle , you saw them in LA 85-86? :D , Did you see them on the US hell tour from which they released Live like a Suicide , what was that like cause I've got a seen bootleg videos from then and they were F#*kin awesome so it musta been incredible live  ;D .

Peace GnR Nation   8)

Yeah it was wicked.. AXL's hair was all teased and they all looked like poison.. LOL, but they kicked ass

• 8 years later...

Image was very important but it was ultimately the music that made them the biggest band in the world. If it had been to much because of the image Guns would have disappeard like the rest of bands at the time have done, bands like Poison, Motley Crue, RATT, Skid Row, Def Leppard, Great White, Twisted Sister where are they now?

Agreed they had a great image which do doubt helped but without the music? Well (most of) the bands you mention also had geat images but they are no where now.

As to the ballads v rocker thing I certainly think AFD is better than UYI but its not so much because it UYI has ballads (there are some great ballads on those records) but UYI displayed the tensions of a band already starting to implode (stevie was already gone and Izzy had one foot out the door).

Had the UYI records been reocrded when they still has the same chemistry it prolly would have surpassed AFD.