I need help Please

I've been playing guitar for just over a year and i think i have got quite good but because i have never had a teacher i dont know the types of things i should read up on.

so please could some of you more advanced guitarists make a list of things i really should know and understand

thanks

Well, those will take a fair amount of time.

And when I say get them down, I mean, perfectly.

It helps a lot when you're playing songs that are based around major scales.

The solo for Patience is based around G Major, and I don't believe that Slash ever goes out of key on the solo.

And power chords are a good tool, also.

But scales are the most important things you can learn on guitar. At least, that's my take on it.

I've been playing guitar for just over a year and i think i have got quite good but because i have never had a teacher i dont know the types of things i should read up on.

so please could some of you more advanced guitarists make a list of things i really should know and understand

thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Learn your major scales and positions and minor pentatonic scales and positions.

Also learn all open chord positions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, I started learning on my own too and without help, I ended up making some bad habits. I would strongly suggest following a strict alternative (up down up down) stroke while you are practicing your scales like that partyboy mentioned. Also try to make use of all your fingers and keep both your hands cool, not tensed.

Also attempt the Patience solo (album version) on your own by ear without using tabs. That'll improve your listening skills and the usage of techniques.

just learn all the basic scales (pentatonic, blues, pentafonic etc.) and the basic chords. That could be found out very easily in the internet. I also recomend you start to read music ( yes pepl, it sounds like shit but is is very good) because when you get to a more advanced level, it is easier and thats what real music and all great guitar players read music (vai, satriani, malmsteen, brian may) so thats pretty all

I don't know why people always seem to forget this one but GET A METRONOME!!!

If you're practising scales, practise them with a metronome. If you're strumming, strum with a metronome. If you're taking a leak, piss with a metronome.

You have no idea how much tighter it will make your playing. It will improve your attack immensely which you will need now that solos and speed metal are making a comeback.