need help on some cool guitar technique

The band AFI did a cover of GNR's My Michelle, and I really like the guitar solo even better than the original solo. Many would disagree with that but I'm not looking for anyone's opinion here.

The solo on AFI's version has a cool guitar technique or whatever you wanna call it cause I don't know the proper term for it. I cut the part of the solo as a wav file and uploaded it on megaupload which can be found at the link below: (its a very small file)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=360E5RIS

If anyone knows how to do that technique/trick, can someone please explain how to do it. I really want to learn that stuff.

Also, the guitar parts on AFI's cover is slightly different from the original and I've searched for the AFI tabs over the net and yes they can be found, BUT they all turn out to be the GNR version. SO, PLEASE DON'T POST LINKS FOR TAB SITES!

Here is a yousendit file if anyone is early enough to catch it.

click here

Sounds like he is just hammering on and pulling off really quickly while moving down the neck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yea that hammer on and pull off part I figured out that much but what worries me is the note that comes just before that which is a full bend bend on the 13th fret G string (on a half step down tuning) but that bend sounds like its not the only string being played. I think the 11th fret on the B string is also being played together (the B string without a bend) I think to hold that position and hammer on with the same hand is pretty tough.

IF its just a single string, then its pretty easy!

OK, I know the technique, but it's kinda hard to explain...

What he's doing is bending and tapping. For example, on the B string, bend the 12th fret up to the 15th, while bending, start tapping on the 17th fret. Start to reverse the bend, and keep tapping on the 17th fret.

What he's doing is bending and tapping. For example, on the B string, bend the 12th fret up to the 15th, while bending, start tapping on the 17th fret. Start to reverse the bend, and keep tapping on the 17th fret.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's actually really cool, dude. Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yea that sounds more like it but all my strings start to vibrate too!

Time for practice

randy does the same thing during the crazy train solo.

if you don't wanna practice, get somebody to pull down the whammy bar while you're playin, if you got one.

it looks cool as hell on stage too.

also, i don't think that's tapping, it's the bending technique with hammer ons.

if you don't wanna practice, get somebody to pull down the whammy bar while you're playin,  if you got one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This really does sound like it...Keep it coming

I think we need a guitar technique section too!

if you don't wanna practice, get somebody to pull down the whammy bar while you're playin,  if you got one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, but he's bending the G string, and holding the B string. It would be hard to trill while holding down 2 notes at once. Plus, they way the notes sound. I'm almost certain that they're being tapped.

I agree, there should be, like a guitar pointers and lick section, 'cause that thing that Santana said is a really cool little trick. It's not too hard but it can sound pretty wicked.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah i agree, seeing as theres alot of new and budding guitarists here.

Double hand tapping kicks all other techniques though :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, but he's bending the G string, and holding the B string. It would be hard to trill while holding down 2 notes at once. Plus, they way the notes sound. I'm almost certain that they're being tapped.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if he was tapping then it would be impossible for him to come back in that fast.

i realize i'm a noob here, but i'm not one at guitar. i'd be down for that section too