Buying a Bass

Ok, I want to buy a bass guitar, but i don't want to spend loads on an instrument and then hardly use it. My £700 saxophone currently sits behind my sofa, so i've decided to buy something cheap so i'm not too worried if i decide i'm not going to take it up like i hope to do.

There are many offers on Ebay including this one, and i was just wondering if you guys think it's a complete waste of money buying something like this one, or maybe you think I should just go for it and buy a quality bass/amp.

Cheers.

R.

Edited by x_Estranged_x

Ok, I want to buy a bass guitar, but i don't want to spend loads on an instrument and then hardly use it. My £700 saxophone currently sits behind my sofa, so i've decided to buy something cheap so i'm not too worried if i decide i'm not going to take it up like i hope to do.

There are many offers on Ebay including this one, and i was just wondering if you guys think it's a complete waste of money buying something like this one, or maybe you think I should just go for it and buy a quality bass/amp.

Cheers.

R.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I bought a bass a couple of years ago for about US$70. Do I play it everyday? Nope. Do I regret buying it? Hell no! It's a completely different beast. I sometimes use it to just recalibrate my fingers if my playing gets sloppy.

And it never hurts to rip out a few bass lines here and there. It will help you to become a better guitarist. I would never advise somebody to spend good $$$ on an instrument they're not already in love with. Buy a cheap nasty one and if it's your cup of tea then consider purchasing a decent one.

Oh, and the best thing about cheap nasty instruments is if you pay bottom dollar for them, you can usually pawn them off for about the same price or only a fraction less.

The best advice I can give would be to go down to your local music store and check some basses out. If you're just starting, you don't want to go out and waste 1000's of pounds on a Zon or Tobias bass. But you also don't want to get something that's going to be cheap. For a beginner, I would recommend getting a Squier or Ibanez starter pack. They come with a bass, an amp, and usually a few accessories. You can pick up a decent one for about US$ 200. They're usually of pretty decent quality, not the best, but they can get the job done. Also, if you decide that you don't want to take up the bass anymore, you won't have too hard a time trying to sell it if you ever want to.

Hey mate,

I would advise at getting an expensive bass straight away, as you may quit and it would be a waste of money, if you get a cheap one then it doesnt matter if you quit, but if you do end up loving it, you can later sell it to a little kid starting off then go for good quality.

If your going to play Rock/Hard Rock/Metal i'd go with the Squier P Bass

If your playing Blues/Jazz/Slow Rock i would go with the Squier Jazz Bass

Thanks for that guys, i ended up getting a yamaha something or other:

bass2.jpg

£170 for the bass ($300?) and £90 amp. But they threw in strap & tuner and a pedel.

I got a 20w Fender amp.

Doin' ok so far :)

R.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not bad! Yamaha doesn't make bad quality instruments. They're quite suitable for someone who is just starting out. Hope you enjoy it!

mate of mine has that bass, uses it live, sounds good like and holds up pretty well, the input is fucked though and he cant be arsed getting it fixed, oh well.

if yr ever gonna get serious id go for a fender bass, sublime.

i ended up with one of these:

maplebass.jpg

bloody lovely.

Thanks for that guys, i ended up getting a yamaha something or other:

bass2.jpg

£170 for the bass ($300?) and £90 amp. But they threw in strap & tuner and a pedel.

I got a 20w Fender amp.

Doin' ok so far :)

R.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice buy,

Have fun playing mate! rock4