need help with recording stuff

you might have to dumb it down, cause i'm pretty dense. anyway, my 4 track broke recently and i was wandering what i should get to replace it.

i'm pretty set on a korg 16 track, but was wondering if some computer stuff would be cheaper, and how does that work anyway? do i plug my amp into an adapter into a usb port or... any recommendations?

i'm obviously looking for the best quality for price ratio, and am willing to spend about 800.

you might have to dumb it down, cause i'm pretty dense. anyway, my 4 track broke recently and i was wandering what i should get to replace it.

i'm pretty set on a korg 16 track, but was wondering if some computer stuff would be cheaper, and how does that work anyway? do i plug my amp into an adapter into a usb port or... any recommendations?

i'm obviously looking for the best quality for price ratio, and am willing to spend about 800.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Get a Digidesign Mbox Factory Bundle.

MBox

It comes with Protools, which is the industry standard in digital recording. I got one, and it is possibly the greatest thing I have ever purchased.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Get a Digidesign Mbox Factory Bundle.

MBox

It comes with Protools, which is the industry standard in digital recording. I got one, and it is possibly the greatest thing I have ever purchased.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Santana, is this easy to use? It looks like an amazing product and I also want a program where I can put my recordings on my computer.

Yeah, it's really easy to use. You just connect the Mbox, launch Protools, plug your guitar in and rock! The best feature is the plugin effects. You can record a clean guitar track, and add distortion, reverb, flage, EQ, and a whole lot of other things after you record. The only thing that I don't like is that Protools won't playback your recordings through your PC's speakers. You either have to use headphones connected to the Mbox, or connect your PC's speakers to the Mbox. But other than that, it's absolutely perfect!

The only thing that I don't like is that Protools won't playback your recordings through your PC's speakers. You either have to use headphones connected to the Mbox, or connect your PC's speakers to the Mbox. But other than that, it's absolutely perfect!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can't you run a line out from the M-Box to the line in on your PC?

R.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I´m not gonna sound like an asshole now... :)

But don´t get the KORG shit!!! (I know one fella will disagree with me) But it´s just junk...

If you´re gonna record, get something that you can actually WORK with...

that gives you flexibility... for about 800 bucks you should be able to get a used Digi002Rack.

They work great, and with Pro Tools you can add effects, cut parts and it´s EASY.

don´t focus too much on piss you don´t need to be thinking about right now.

Digi 002R plugs in your FireWire port on your mac or pc. and you get 8 tracks to record onto.

you can then later add tracks until your computer crashes or can´t take anymore.

The con with Pro Tools LE is that it´s an "instrument based recording station", that means that you pretty much need all the instruments to be playing live to go anywhere.

it´s very hard to add sampled tracks or beats and stuff like that.

For that purpose any soundcard with multiple inputs and CuBase SX is better. cubase is more flexible and it´s a good tool too.

If you´d tell me what you have now, what you wanna use it to and what you have used before, maybe I could help you a little better.

What equipment do you have now? as far as mics, pre-amps and shit...?

if you have alot of this in hardware form (´cus you can get this in plugin format to pro tools)

you don´t really need protools. Protools also has a lower tollerance level, meaning it´ll max out easier than any analog recorder. the painlimit is lower.....

some ppl swear to analog stuff and say digital is shit. to a point I do agree, but then, can you spend 1.000.000 bucks for a studio that´s all analog? or put down 6000 bucks for that compressor you really need, and the pre-amp that you really don´t need....

If recording demos for your band while you reherse the Korg might be the shit....

Mackie, Yamaha and others also have good mixers with builtin recorders.

Dude, it´s a sea of junk and possibilities out there...

but pro tools is a lot of bang for the buck. just don´t get any "powered by M-Audio" junk....

In a way I wish I could afford Mackies system. it´s really nice, but it´s really expensive too :)

consider second hand too.......

Yeah, it's really easy to use. You just connect the Mbox, launch Protools, plug your guitar in and rock! The best feature is the plugin effects. You can record a clean guitar track, and add distortion, reverb, flage, EQ, and a whole lot of other things after you record. The only thing that I don't like is that Protools won't playback your recordings through your PC's speakers. You either have to use headphones connected to the Mbox, or connect your PC's speakers to the Mbox. But other than that, it's absolutely perfect!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now why would you want to route the sound to your PC so you can get sound out through the PC? it only makes things LAG!!!!

+ tha MBOX shit is WORTHLESS, have you ever used this piece of shit to actually give a recommandation to others??? I´ve used pretty much ALL mbox products, and I have one thing to say! it´s WORTHLESS...

what tha FUCK do you do when you have a guitarist, singer and a bassplayer?

nah... those boxes are crippled. and go figure. for that cash you don´t get anything...

the quality isn´t much to brag about either.

they are worthless!!! just like your advice on recording tools/equipment bro :)

no hard feelings.... but I don´t think you know what tha hell ur talkn about ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now why would you want to route the sound to your PC so you can get sound out through the PC? it only makes things LAG!!!!

+ tha MBOX shit is WORTHLESS, have you ever used this piece of shit to actually give a recommandation to others??? I´ve used pretty much ALL mbox products, and I have one thing to say! it´s WORTHLESS...

nah... those boxes are crippled. and go figure. for that cash you don´t get anything...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm just giving advice based on my experience. From what quadlaser said, it doesn't seem like he wants to get into the professional level stuff that you're talking about. Like I said, I'm speaking based on experience. I find the Mbox quite convenient because I record all my instruments seperately. I find that recording each instrument seperately is what works best for me. If you don't like that, you can give me your mailing address, and I'll send you a condolence card. But quadlaser asked for advice, and I advised him based on my preference and experience.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm just giving advice based on my experience. From what quadlaser said, it doesn't seem like he wants to get into the professional level stuff that you're talking about. Like I said, I'm speaking based on experience. I find the Mbox quite convenient because I record all my instruments seperately. I find that recording each instrument seperately is what works best for me. If you don't like that, you can give me your mailing address, and I'll send you a condolence card. But quadlaser asked for advice, and I advised him based on my preference and experience.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

then I´m simply giving a better advice :) hehe

sorry if I hurt your feelings bro... wasn´t intentional....