lyrics are very often about nothing IMO

Rock N' Roll Junkie

I think lyrics are very often about nothing, they're just like that because it sounds cool or the words rhyme.

If not please explain why the following lyrics are written:

- Harvester of sorrow- I mean, the lyrics are cool but what does he ACTUALLY want to say with it.

- Ozzy: No more tears, what it's about seems to be changing during the song.

- And (I'm going to hear it for this one) GN'R Coma. I mean, I understand the essence of the beginning perfectly. But than the last part is actually about nothing at all.

the same goes for the garden of eden, explain this:

You got a glass jawed toothache

Of a mental disease

An they be runnin' round back

See 'em line up on their knees

'Cause the kiss ass sycophants

Throwin' penance at your feet

Metal lyrics are often notoriously cliched, and sometimes get to the extent of being laughable.

Yet if you look hard enough, you can find some intellectual or witty lyrics penned by a lyrical genius.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

take for example this Darkthrone song, Unholy Black Metal

When the sun has died

When the angels are blind

When the moon lies thick

Over the palace of god

When the fullmoon lights the earth

When the wolves gather in the open

When blood rains from heaven high

from the pearly gates

When jehovas hordes are slaughtered

When disciples twelve are dead

When beheth of easter lands

Are raped and raped again

When the whore of babylon rides

When fury turns to hate

When all sons of satan

Sodomize the lambs of christ

When the gates have all been opened

When the funerals never end

When satans ports paint out hearts

And sadness our souls

When witches burn the priests

When the ancient ones return

When the demons ride the numb

With their hares of dark desires

those lyrics don't rhyme at all, but unless your mentally retarded, its pretty easy to figure out what hes talking about..

in black metal and death metal, you dont really see rhyming or anything... the lyrics are pretty straight forward

edit: i posted the lyrics and the explanation to show that metal lyrics arent cliched, and to the thread topic, 'lyrics are very often about nothing'.

Edited by 1776

Metal lyrics are often notoriously cliched, and sometimes get to the extent of being laughable.

Yet if you look hard enough, you can find some intellectual or witty lyrics penned by a lyrical genius.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

These lyrics are exactly what I'm talking about, it's about nothing. When this and this happends....... That doesn't happen, what does he mean with it? nothing, that's what I'm talking about.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When the sun has died

When the angels are blind

When the moon lies thick

Over the palace of god

When the fullmoon lights the earth

When the wolves gather in the open

When blood rains from heaven high

from the pearly gates

When jehovas hordes are slaughtered

When disciples twelve are dead

When beheth of easter lands

Are raped and raped again

When the whore of babylon rides

When fury turns to hate

When all sons of satan

Sodomize the lambs of christ

When the gates have all been opened

When the funerals never end

When satans ports paint out hearts

And sadness our souls

When witches burn the priests

When the ancient ones return

When the demons ride the numb

With their hares of dark desires

those lyrics don't rhyme at all, but unless your mentally retarded, its pretty easy to figure out what hes talking about..

in black metal and death metal, you dont really see rhyming or anything... the lyrics are pretty straight forward

edit: i posted the lyrics and the explanation to show that metal lyrics arent cliched, and to the thread topic, 'lyrics are very often about nothing'.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if a band used lyrics that rhyme'd in black or death metal,then that band would be considered a sell-out

you can make anything mean anything, the whole point of lyrics are to make them personal and play around in your head with them, alter them to fit you...whatever the hell you want make em yours

You got a glass jawed toothache

Of a mental disease

An they be runnin' round back

See 'em line up on their knees

'Cause the kiss ass sycophants

Throwin' penance at your feet

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you got a glass jawed toothache - kinda like you're living in decadence off the poor. Glass jawed tooth - like gold tooth

the song is basically like how power is corrupting and stuff.

But for all I could tell from the speed of the song it could be 'I like my crispy pancakes with onions and cheese an I like to open them up and fill them with peas'

haha...peas

i interpretend the song about suck ups and the mindless worship of people with power (and theres a lil bit of religious hatred there)

Edited by katie

Check out some Bob Dylan lyrics.  Then come back and say that lyrics have no meaning.  I'll laugh at you if you do that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

laugh all you want.............

Anyway. Sarah, is indeed about someone >> Sarah. The Hurricane aswell. Lay Laydy Lay much less and Dust in the wind... I don't know. Maybe he thought it sounds cool, maybe he didn't.

Don't get me wrong, I said MOST lyrics seem to be about nothing, some lyrics are about something, like Iron Maiden't Aces High and GN'R Mr. Brownstone.

But most of the pop music is about nothing and loads of other stuff aswell.

most songs after 1980 have no meaning

listen to bob dylan and john lennon and jimi hendrix

awsome lyrics

i also once heard that the floyd album Animals was goverment based. Dogs is about the aristocrats that rule and run the place. the Sheep are the normal people that have the watch out for evil Dogs that are tyranical, and Pigs are the people who contribute nothing to society and take up space rock3

listen to the lyrics of those three songs and yul see wat i mean, im not sure if its true but itd be cool if it was :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

These lyrics are exactly what I'm talking about, it's about nothing. When this and this happends....... That doesn't happen, what does he mean with it? nothing, that's what I'm talking about.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dude...? those lyrics are about anti christian acts. you can find a bunch of lines in that song that if you said to a priest hed tell you your going to hell :P