Rose's vocals

Axl got this magnicifent ability to make a scream carry on for such a long time.

I'd think that has something to do with shape & condition, how long to go without breathing. But as far as i know Axl was fucked up on drugs and alcohol alot. Leaving him in a bad shape. So how did he do this?

To make this more discussable:

Discuss Axl Rose's vocals in general

Axl got this magnicifent ability to make a scream carry on for such a long time.

I'd think that has something to do with shape & condition, how long to go without breathing. But as far as i know Axl was fucked up on drugs and alcohol alot. Leaving him in a bad shape. So how did he do this?

To make this more discussable:

Discuss Axl Rose's vocals in general

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

has nothin to do with drugs and alcohol (check out phil anselmo). has to do with practice, genetics, and age.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you ever heard Bruce Dickinson or Ian Gillan scream? they can hold a scream for 3 times longer than Axl ever could.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Age takes it's toll on any persons voice. it's like an old speaker, the membrane gets loose and worn out. Same with ppl, it's just anatomy... the chords loosen up and you don't get the same punch to it. They also get thinner for some singer. Making the air flowing through easier, giving a different character to the voice.

As for drugs you never know, doctors say that it's a gray area where there are NO reports or scientific proof that drugs, alcohol or a diet will increase or worsen your voice. The myth about drinking honey and lemon water is just a MYTH.

Water, Sleep and practice is the only thing that helps.

Remember that most of the hard-rock singers take cortisone shots when their voice is fucked up. which kills the chords in the long run, but makes them sound fantastic for one night.

as for how long you can hold a tone... breath control and body shape.

Age takes it's toll on any persons voice.

Yea, age can change it for the better or worse. Johhny Cash voice just got cooler as he got older

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

definatly... Bruce Springsteen has also kept in good shape over the years.

Even steven tyler managed to overcome some problems.

And if you pay close attention to Axl on KOHD from RIR3 he does a fantastic job. Never heard him perform so well before. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you ever heard Bruce Dickinson or Ian Gillan scream? they can hold a scream for 3 times longer than Axl ever could.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a matter of fact i actually saw both of them performing live. But as this thread was about me thinking alcohol and drugs would affect holding a scream, those persons didn't spring to my mind cause i never thought of them as hardcore drinkers nor junkies.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a matter of fact i actually saw both of them performing live. But as this thread was about me thinking alcohol and drugs would affect holding a scream, those persons didn't spring to my mind cause i never thought of them as hardcore drinkers nor junkies.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Holding a rasp scream to a clean scream tone much like bruces and ians is uncompareable.

a clean scream FOR ME takes much less effort. cus me atleast, I have to push a different area to maintain the power and punch in a scream with rasp to a hollow thin clean scream.

And alcohol doesn´t really affect it directly. Thats what my doctor tells me atleast.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Holding a rasp scream to a clean scream tone much like bruces and ians is uncompareable.

a clean scream FOR ME takes much less effort. cus me atleast, I have to push a different area to maintain the power and punch in a scream with rasp to a hollow thin clean scream.

And alcohol doesn´t really affect it directly. Thats what my doctor tells me atleast.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did get told by an Ozzy Osbourne impersonator that beer is bad for your throat and to drink tea. I just laughed. Yeah, if you try holding a scream you run the risk of blacking out. When i scream, my face goes red because im closing my throat up and stopping blood going to the head (or keeping it in the head) and so when i release the blood just rushes back and i get this stupid fuckin head ache. But when i hold a high note clean i use half the effort and it doesn't hurt at all