Learning Bass Guitar

I've seen a couple of threads which vaguely ask these questions but i'd like to get my questions fully asked so any help would be appreciated as i want to learn Bass guitar.

- (seems like a stupid question but) Is a starter kit the best thing to get to start with?

- How much would this be?

- Is this sufficient to learn bass guitar? i.e the guitar teacher at school has no free slots and my mum wants me to wait until he has time to teach me and says i can buy a bass once he'll teach me. Would i be able to teach myself bass guitar using just a starter pack?

Now some not so important questions thatt are important to me

- How often do you practice?

- How long until you could start to play real songs well i.e vr or gnr

- Will i end up getting frustrated at the bass and wanting to learn guitar?

Any answers will be appreciated.

A starter pack is all you need if you're just starting out. Obviously if you want to gig you'll need a bigger amp...but until you're pretty good there's no point in buying all sorts of equipment.

You can get starter packs from about £160 (UK)

You can teach yourself bass easily if you have the patience and the will to learn. Just remember, no one picks something up and plays it amazingly first time. Personally i'd say don't bother with a teacher unless you want to learn music. Just practise practise practise. It sucks at 1st. But once you get to that stage of learning songs pretty easily, then it's easy street from there

I used to practise every day (about 5 hours per day). Remember, you get nothing for nothing. The more you put in, the quicker you'll learn. My advice, play along with CD's once you've learned a few songs. You'll probably sound way out of time and totally off when you 1st do it. But keep practising and you'll pick it up easy

Happy Rocking! rock1

I agree, you can easily teach yourself, I've done it for a while and now I'm taking lessons to learn the theory behind it.

If you have friends who are starting guitar or drums, or if you can persuade them, then that's always useful as you can learn together. Or if not, just play with better musicians, they can definetely teach you a thing or two.

I practise for varying hours each day, some days I play from when i get home till well into the night, so about 9 or 10 hours. Other nights I only play for half hour, just play when you want to, don't force yourself to, but try to play regularly. Better to do half hour a day, than 2 hours once a week.

Edited by Glick

Yeah, the 1st guitar i got was a £200 les paul copy and a 10watt marshall. Getting something really big and expensive is a bad idea. Because you might get fed up with it in a month and decide to take up poetry instead...

But you can get some great starter kits for under £200. Have fun! And remember...chicks love rockstars!! rock3

Good to see some people having a go at the Bass :D

I love playing my mates Bass, it's great fun.

Playing Maiden basslines are awesome fun, The Trooper is a great way in turning your finger tips into bloody stumps. I've also learnt YYZ by Rush.

But as a Bassist it is very important to build a very solid sense of rythym.

Teaching yourself is great, i do that. But i highly reckonmend getting some lessions so you get your technique right as you can get some bad habits teaching yourself.

laying Maiden basslines are awesome fun, The Trooper is a great way in turning your finger tips into bloody stumps.  I've also learnt YYZ by Rush.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Git :) I've been working on YYZ the past two weeks, and some of the little licks still escape me. Especially the first fast one, around bar 11 or 12 I think (ain't got the music with me), that's a bit of a bastard.

And yeah, The Trooper is a lot of fun, and the bass to Hallowed be Thy Name as well. Uses mostly the same frets, it's just slower. Nice warm up.

Edited by Glick

I would reccomend the guitar.

If you can play the guitar you cab play the bass, and guitar is more fun to play alone.

But hey if you want to play bass i support ya :lol:

after all, Duff is the coolest GNR member

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree. I always found it easier to switch from the bass to the guitar than the other way round. If you play guitar for a while you stop putting enough pressure on the strings, and it sometimes takes a while to get used to the bigger frets, at least for me.

You're basically right though, if you can play bass or guitar to a reasonable level, then you'll be alright at the other.

Also! Remember to play along with either a metronome or a CD, bassists need to get their rhythm and timing correct.

Start pack is shit man

I bought an expensive bass and that was the best thing ive ever done. Because I dident have too buy a new one when I got better. And I did the same thing with my amp. I always buy the stuff that soundsbest for its price.

Edited by MrSandman

Start pack is shit man

I bought an expensive bass and that was the best thing ive ever done. Because I dident have too buy a new one when I got better. And I did the same thing with my amp. I always buy the stuff that soundsbest for its price.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What if he plays bass for a week and either gets bored or decides to take up guitar?

Also...a Slash quote...

"The most important thing is to learn how to play the guitar before you get fucking 50,000 dollars worth of fucking complicated gear"!

I agree, you can easily teach yourself, I've done it for a while and now I'm taking lessons to learn the theory behind it.

If you have friends who are starting guitar or drums, or if you can persuade them, then that's always useful as you can learn together. Or if not, just play with better musicians, they can definetely teach you a thing or two.

I practise for varying hours each day, some days I play from when i get home till well into the night, so about 9 or 10 hours. Other nights I only play for half hour, just play when you want to, don't force yourself to, but try to play regularly. Better to do half hour a day, than 2 hours once a week.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah exactly, it's like learning on an acoustic guitar then switching to electic, you just carve up.

It's like how trainers train horses by making them run in sand, when they hit the grass tracks they fly.

If your keen enough, try learning Tommy the Cat :o Claypool = Bass God.

Crossroads is also a hell awesome running bassline.

The music industry needs more awesome bassists. Bass skill really died in the 80's i mean, how boring is it playing Van Halen and Gn'R playlines.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah exactly, it's like learning on an acoustic guitar then switching to electic, you just carve up.

It's like how trainers train horses by making them run in sand, when they hit the grass tracks they fly.

If your keen enough, try learning Tommy the Cat :o Claypool = Bass God.

Crossroads is also a hell awesome running bassline.

The music industry needs more awesome bassists. Bass skill really died in the 80's i mean, how boring is it playing Van Halen and Gn'R playlines.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea Claypool is an amazing bassist its sick the stuff he can do. But all off your points are right not many good bass lines in music today all it is like 5 5 5 5 7 7 7 7 7 then back to 5. Well hell no one wants to play that. I do enjoy playing Gn'R basslines though espically coma and rocketqueen

I didnt get a starter pack. I asked the guy at the shop and he explained to me and i chose a bass from that, and then the amp separately aswell.

Can anyone recommend any easy songs i can learn? Preferably GNR or VR stuff.

Bare in mind ive only been playing a few days:

I can already play (i think simplified versions of):

Seven Nation Army Riff

Smoke On The Water Riff

Coma Riff

Big Machine Opening