Jazz

Painkiller545

Does any one know any good Jazz artists/bands? Im trying something new for music, and i've always loved the way jazz sounded, but i could never remember the artists. I listened to jazz when i was about 4 years old, but then my brother got me into metallica, and then i discovered more bands. So. I was wondering if any can tell me any Jazz bands or artists out there. Thanks guys!!!

PCE

Ok, chances are people who are recommending Coltrane and Miles, know fuck all about Jazz and are just recommending it cause they've hard it so many times.

Anywho, starting off with straight up jazz is hard so start with some Jazz/Rock, type stuff to ease you into it. It's like if you wanna listen to blues you should listen to Hendrix or Cream first to get the feel. Anyway, Miles did an album called In a Silent Way, that can be viewed as Jazz/Rock fusion. Also, there's an instrumental Jazz Fusion album by Jeff Beck called "Blow by Blow," which is very good, and there's one more that may not be jazz/rock, but it's called "Jazz Blues Fusion," by John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
Ok, chances are people who are recommending Coltrane and Miles, know fuck all about Jazz and are just recommending it cause they've hard it so many times.

Anywho, starting off with straight up jazz is hard so start with some Jazz/Rock, type stuff to ease you into it. It's like if you wanna listen to blues you should listen to Hendrix or Cream first to get the feel. Anyway, Miles did an album called In a Silent Way, that can be viewed as Jazz/Rock fusion. Also, there's an instrumental Jazz Fusion album by Jeff Beck called "Blow by Blow," which is very good, and there's one more that may not be jazz/rock, but it's called "Jazz Blues Fusion," by John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers.

Don't assume, I have around 30 Miles Davis albums and am pretty much well listened in most of the major names. I also go to the city (NYC) atleast once a year and check out the club scene. I've seen McCoy Tyner, Jim Hall, Dave Holland, John Mclaughlin and Shakti, Dave Liebman, John Faddis's Dizzy Gillespie tribute big band and many other notable players. My brother also attends one of the most prestigious jazz programs in the country and is studying under Gene Bertoncini and Mulgrew Miller among others.

I think it's funny that you accuse those who recommend Trane and Miles of not knowing Jack shit when all you have to suggest is Miles and a rock guitarist. You should also know that although In a Silent Way was an early "fusion" record, it was much farther from rock than some of Miles' other records. A tribute to Jack Johnson has some of the best extended electric guitar playing of all time and On the Corner is influenced by mainstream soul and funk. When people start raving about Kenny G. then you can get mad, but don't assume anything when people are recommending good music.

Don't assume, I have around 30 Miles Davis albums and am pretty much well listened in most of the major names. I also go to the city (NYC) atleast once a year and check out the club scene. I've seen McCoy Tyner, Jim Hall, Dave Holland, John Mclaughlin and Shakti, Dave Liebman, John Faddis's Dizzy Gillespie tribute big band and many other notable players. My brother also attends one of the most prestigious jazz programs in the country and is studying under Gene Bertoncini and Mulgrew Miller among others.

I think it's funny that you accuse those who recommend Trane and Miles of not knowing Jack shit when all you have to suggest is Miles and a rock guitarist. You should also know that although In a Silent Way was an early "fusion" record, it was much farther from rock than some of Miles' other records. A tribute to Jack Johnson has some of the best extended electric guitar playing of all time and On the Corner is influenced by mainstream soul and funk. When people start raving about Kenny G. then you can get mad, but don't assume anything when people are recommending good music.

I didn't say you didn't know jazz, I said chances are a lot of the peopel recommending it didn't know. And I've just suggested a few albums to get into jazz. Just as starters, not as greatest jazz albums ever. Like I said, if you were a rock guitarist but wanted to listen to blues, I wouldn't hand you a Robert Johnson or Son House record right off the bat. I would've recommended blues, that has a rock "flavor" to it, so is to be more relatable to the listener. I also go to local clubs to watch a few jazz bands. And "Silent Way" was the only rock floavored Miles album I've heard thus far.

Wow. this guy is on a role. I never knew that They had awsome crazy jazz festivals in New York. I wish the had on in Calgary, Canada. :P

you gotta listen to:

pat metheny band- great music,

breker brothers- hah.. these guys are my favorite, so funky

yellow jackets- great chill out music

billy cobham- one of the best drummers ever, great music

out of those, try and hear "skunk funk" by the brecker brothers

I saw cobham on august it was like :drevil:

you gotta listen to:

pat metheny band- great music,

breker brothers- hah.. these guys are my favorite, so funky

yellow jackets- great chill out music

billy cobham- one of the best drummers ever, great music

out of those, try and hear "skunk funk" by the brecker brothers

I saw cobham on august it was like :drevil:

you lucky bitch!

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

And "Silent Way" was the only rock floavored Miles album I've heard thus far.

Filles de Kilamanjaro

In a Silent Way

Bitches Brew

Live Evil

Black Beauty

Live at the Fillmore West

A Tribute to Jack Johnson

On the Corner

In Concert - Live at Philharmonic Hall

Get Up with it

Dark Magus

Agharta

Pangaea

And if you like rock guitar another good album to start with would be "The Inner Mounting Flame" by Mahavishnu Orchestra. But I don't feel like we need to baby anyone who wants to get into jazz, if you want listen to jazz, listen to jazz. Same goes for any style of music. If you need to put a ton of sugar and cream in your coffee to drink it comfortably, then you don't like coffee, and there's nothing wrong with that.

And "Silent Way" was the only rock floavored Miles album I've heard thus far.

Filles de Kilamanjaro

In a Silent Way

Bitches Brew

Live Evil

Black Beauty

Live at the Fillmore West

A Tribute to Jack Johnson

On the Corner

In Concert - Live at Philharmonic Hall

Get Up with it

Dark Magus

Agharta

Pangaea

I said thus far. I haven't listened to 30 like you have. I've only hear 2-4 maybe.