Is it just me or is covers a bit lame?

Hendrix did a few covers. Hell, he opened a set with Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club days after that album was released!

Not to be a nitpicker... and correct me if I'm wrong... but didn't Hendrix help to write Sgt. Pepper's? Or he did a solo on it or something? I believe he was somehow connected with that song.

Zeppelin did cover some songs, but they had a fucking INSANE library of songs. and they did reinvent the songs they coverd.

quite true

everything from on top of blueberry hill to hello mary lou to little sister

they'd usually use covers in medleys or to plug shows when the crowds wouldn't leave after the show

in fact...in the early days when they'd go on for their 10th or so encore...they'd go backstage and try to find songs that they all knew and could wing and get away with...now that's fucking crazy!

also...when bands...like rush...or plant...or even dylan...do cover albums it gets them to the roots of their music that was once forgotten or mired by production of the times so that they could move forward with their own creative process by going backwards and introverting into their original source of inspiration

It's wondeful. There is not one song on Plant's cover album that sounds even remotely like the original. They sound completely dreamed up by Plant, and he clearly feels them. Even when he does his old Zeppelin stuff live, most of it has a totally new feel and groove on each tour. He loves to reinvent the classics.

yeah...i went to see him and his version of no quarter was spot on...the black dog was not as moving but it still rocked...and the bongo solo in whole lotta love was f'n awesome!

dylan and the dead are the masters at reinventing songs...hell...dylan hasn't played 2 tour with the same version of the song...when i went to see him in concert this summer...everyone in the audience had to wait until the lyrics of the song to figure out which song it was! and it wasn't just the instrumentation that was changed....the melody was nothing like live at bodukan or down with the flood or of course the studio version...he's THAT creative!

the dead...when their 3rd keyboardist came to join the band he had prepared for his audition by listening to the album versions of a bunch of the old songs and then as he started jamming with them...they were like...WTF ARE YOU PLAYING? he said "sugar magnolia" and they said...oh well...we dropped that version 15 years ago...

and then he had to relearn the entire library all over again

You go where the money is. A lot of people don't really wanna play covers, but they make way more money playing them than playing their own stuff...

are u in the music for money or the love for just playing? and creating music?

´cus afterall, that´s what MUSIC is about. interaction between instruments, and now, since people play the instruments it´s about people too... playing other ppls songs doesn´t create a bond or free your mind.

now, playing a cover song now and then when u gig is fine.

but making all covers is crap. GNR did it purely for MONEY!!!

Lennon did it cus he SUCKED ASS!!!!

Zeppelin did cover some songs, but they had a fucking INSANE library of songs. and they did reinvent the songs they coverd.

Lennon sucked ass?? If you would've said that you just didn't like his stuff, fine, but I really can't discuss music with someone who doesn't understand the greatness of John Lennon. It's like discussing human rights with George W. Bush.

:fuckyou:

You go where the money is. A lot of people don't really wanna play covers, but they make way more money playing them than playing their own stuff...

are u in the music for money or the love for just playing? and creating music?

´cus afterall, that´s what MUSIC is about. interaction between instruments, and now, since people play the instruments it´s about people too... playing other ppls songs doesn´t create a bond or free your mind.

now, playing a cover song now and then when u gig is fine.

but making all covers is crap. GNR did it purely for MONEY!!!

Lennon did it cus he SUCKED ASS!!!!

Lennon sucked ass?? If you would've said that you just didn't like his stuff, fine, but I really can't discuss music with someone who doesn't understand the greatness of John Lennon. It's like discussing human rights with George W. Bush.

:fuckyou:

...and making a GWB joke is like shooting a chipmunk the size of a barn with a bbgun

...way too easy