Axl Should Drop The Name Guns n Roses

T Patten

I was surprised with all the replies i got on this, thinking back on it i spose dropping the band name now would be a bit mad, i've read what a lot of people have replied with and i must say i still have my 1999 hat on when the time was right to go it alone...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES he should drop it. He should just go by "Axl Rose". Mick Jagger didn't use Rolling Stones on his solo efforts, and Ozzy Osbourne didn't use Black Sabbath on his.

Let's face it, this is an Axl Rose solo project. Whether you like it or not, that's what it is. It's a group of musicians hired to play Axl's music, point blank. It's not a band, it's Axl Rose and hired musicians, and there's nothing wrong with that. But just don't tarnish the name of GNR with it.

YES he should drop it. He should just go by "Axl Rose". Mick Jagger didn't use Rolling Stones on his solo efforts, and Ozzy Osbourne didn't use Black Sabbath on his.

Let's face it, this is an Axl Rose solo project. Whether you like it or not, that's what it is. It's a group of musicians hired to play Axl's music, point blank. It's not a band, it's Axl Rose and hired musicians, and there's nothing wrong with that. But just don't tarnish the name of GNR with it.

Exactly how i feel, seeing as i started this topic & i had a think and realised that now would be a bad time change the name seeing as the album by "guns n roses" has been in the pipeline for all this time, maybe go solo after chi dem is released...

No one is going to accept this band as Guns N' Roses..

Save for, of course.. this message board

And all those people who went to see them on the 2002 tour... Respected members of the music press/media like Kurt Loader...

In that interview with Slash not long ago (the whole its coming in March one) - Slash said he went to check out "my band" in Vegas in 2002 - so if Slash still recognises it as his band - surely it's still Gn'R?

I was surprised with all the replies i got on this, thinking back on it i spose dropping the band name now would be a bit mad, i've read what a lot of people have replied with and i must say i still have my 1999 hat on when the time was right to go it alone...

I personally don't think Gn'R ever finished. I think the main problem people have is the fact that Slash isn't in the band and it's still Gn'R. What would people say if it was Axl, Duff, Robin, Paul, Matt & Dizzy?

Can't Axl do what he wants with the name he created and has fought to keep alive and relevant?

R.

Edited by x_Estranged_x

I fail to understand why Axl should have to the change the name because of the actions of other people. Other people chose to leave - Axl stuck with it, he keeps the name.

The combined actions of those other people is what made that band. Axl is not the band, he's merely one piece of the puzzle.

yeah but the other people left leaving Axl the only member of guns n roses in the band besides dIzzy and Axl replaced the members that left, simple as that, he has every right to still have the name.

I'm not disputing the fact that he has the legal right to use the name. He demanded it and he got it. Fine. However, my feeling is that morally I disagree with it. The other band members left, of course they did. The alternative was to sit in obscurity for over a decade and be a part of something they had no control over...... legally and creatively. The fact that band members can just be replaced proves keeping the name was a businnes decision, not an emotional one.

:sleeper: tired topic :sleeper:

get over it

he keeps the name for the publicity. if he dropped it someone like slash duff or matt might take over it as they were in Guns N Roses. if they done that they would be making money off 'Guns N' Roses' and 'Velvet Revolver'

SS.

axl does not need to keep the name for publicity and slash and the rest are still making money off of what they did when they was in gnr. he kept the name cause he was the only one not to walk away and quit gnr so i feel he has every right to keep the name gnr

Personally I could give a rat's ass about the name of the band.

Who gives a fuck, the music is what is important.

If Jessica Alba got married to a guy named Smith, and she DIDNT change her name to Jessica Smith, would you not fuck her because of it????

Its just a name. The NAME does not symbolize anything. The music is ALL that matters.

I don't care if Axl calls his band Guns n Roses, GnR, the "new" Guns n Roses or Axl's Ball Sack . . . . all I care about is the quality of the music released.

Can't Axl do what he wants with the name he created and has fought to keep alive and relevant?

Sure he can, but that doesn't make it right. Guns N Roses was a group of best friends who came out of the gutter together and changed the music industry.

THIS current thing we are seeing is not Guns N Roses, it's Axl Rose.

As far as keeping it relevant, Axl's done more in the last 10 years to tarnish the Guns N Roses name than he has to help it.

Sure he can, but that doesn't make it right. Guns N Roses was a group of best friends who came out of the gutter together and changed the music industry.

THIS current thing we are seeing is not Guns N Roses, it's Axl Rose.

As far as keeping it relevant, Axl's done more in the last 10 years to tarnish the Guns N Roses name than he has to help it.

and those people left.

Axl deserves to keep it, it started with him, he helped create the name.

I mean people are upset about Axl keeping the name, but what they are really upset about is Slash and that leaving the band and that was their choice.

Edited by Axl-rocks

If he would have dropped it back in the early stages of Chinese Democracy it would have been fine by me...But now as he's toured under the name "Guns N' Roses",that's what this band is...It's Guns N' Roses,wether people like it or not.

Well fine. I start touring with my band and call it Led Zeppelin then.

And you must be Robert Plant? He could probably get away with that, but you certainly could not. I suggest not opening your mouth if you don't know or understand what other people are talking about, much less what you yourself talk about.

So now I'm not allowed to a different opinion than someone else?

- All of the other guys walked away from the band. Plain and simple. By the time they left, GNR was more business. It happens to all things that attain greatness. It's all about money. If those dopes signed some contract leaving the name to Axl in the event they walk away, they shouldn't have been so doped up to where they couldn't make good business decisions. Maybe they just didn't want to be a part of some big, commercial circus... IE... pawns for the white collars up in corporate. Great. Whatever. They left. Their choice. Live with it.

That's another issue. The bland splitted up, hence no more GNR - Axl is not GNR.

- Axl stayed and accepted the responsibility. Furthermore, everyone writes about Izzy this, Slash that. Look, I love those guys. I agree they were important parts of those early days and getting Guns off the ground. It sucked they all couldn't just get along. But at the end of the day when I look at the credits from those songs, whose name appears in 98% of them first and foremost... ROSE. He by far, statistically (given that data), was the mastermind behind everything... the 'Oz' behind the curtain directing the show.

He's not behind everything. I would say that Slash almost had as much as an impact and importance to the band as Axl. Sure, Axl wrote almost all of the lyrics and all but slash n izzy came up with the riffs etc.

Rember that were called GNR, not "Axl and the rest".

- GNR would not have become what it did w/o Axl Rose. Period. When people think of GNR, they think of Axl.

I think of Axl, Slash and Duff . GNR would not have become what it w/o Slash either...

- When I think of U2, I think of Bono. Aerosmith... Steven Tyler. Appetite was a colloborated effort, sure. But Illusions? That was practically ALL AXL. GNR became his baby, like it or not, long before the original lineup disbanded. I accept Axl Rose as GNR as I accept Trent Reznor as NIN. If you don't like how I worded that because you can argue Trent IS NIN and always has been... well accept it this way... Axl needed a supporting cast to get off the ground with Appetite. After that, once he was exposed to the world, he no longer needed that supporting cast. It's a shame because that group was incredible, but you know what? Shit happens. Deal with it. Axl is GNR. Just like Reznor is NIN.

I just don't agree with you. GNR was not a solo project, it was a band and a band consist of more than just 1 vital musican.

- - Consider this... Slash and the rest of the guys all left because they just wanted to keep putting out your run-of-the-mill blusey/rock album. SLASH took what became "It's 5 o'clock Somewhere" to Axl and the rest of the guys and said THIS is the new GNR album. Axl understood it would have flopped and would have been the end of GNR as a commercial success. That demise began with the Illusions, despite good sales, with two albums full of redundant songs. We may have liked them, but they were no Appetite. The demise continued with TSI. Covers or not, that album sucks. Plain and simple. Another album full of B-sides from the Illusions sessions was not going to cut it. Axl understood that and wanted to evolve with the music scene... be more creative. The other guys didn't. So they cried like babies and left. You know what happened to them? When the money started running out they needed to hire a top-knotch front man and put out a rock album. That album, Contraband. It would have flopped 10 years ago, but today in the world of shitty alternative bands it did well. But only well. Now they need something to retire on and... what's that?! What is that they want to do?! A concept album?! Well tickle us pink and rub us down with KY Batman... they want to 'evolve' and do a 'concept album'.

I'm not gonna try to defend Velvet Revolver at any point. The thing was that Axl and the rest of the band weren't on the same page (as Slash once stated). Axl wanted to do one sort of music and the rest of the band wanted to do another sort of music. So they split up, easy as that basicly. I don't blame neither of the parts for their decision. I really understand Axl's point of view of wanted to evolve, as well as Slash and the rest of the band point view of wanting to stay to true rock music.

- Maybe they get it now in their sobriety, well, at least Duff and Weiland. Another Contraband isn't going to cut it. They need to do something to stay ahead of the curve. Evolve. This all applied to GNR 10 years ago, and they ignored that. Since then, Axl has built a new supporting cast for his GNR vision. They've been working together longer than the original band. You may not want to accept them as GNR, but you know what? The people that don't really care about GNR or Axl Rose, about 95% of the radio listeners today, will consider Guns N' Roses this new lineup if they put out a kick ass record. Most won't even know who Slash was, or what the Illusions were.

Now that would just be sad.

- What's more? Maybe those of you who don't accept the 'new' band or Axl as GNR should hold judgement until you get the chance to hear the record.

Don't get me wrong. I really looking forward to Axls new album I'm just not keen on the idea of calling the band Guns n' Roses since it's really isn't Guns n' Roses as wee know it.

Edited by Filip

I mean people are upset about Axl keeping the name, but what they are really upset about is Slash and that leaving the band and that was their choice.

I agree. It was their choice to leave as they were tired of the guy on a power trip.

I agree. It was their choice to leave as they were tired of the guy on a power trip.

I don't think that's reason. As I said on my previous post slash+the rest of the band was not "on the same page" as AXL.

Axl wants to evolve his music while the rest of the band wants to stay to true rock music.

I don't think that's reason. As I said on my previous post slash+the rest of the band was not "on the same page" as AXL.

Axl wants to evolve his music while the rest of the band wants to stay to true rock music.

none of them wanted what Axl wanted, he said he had to fight to have songs like November Rain, patience etc, even SCOM they thought that song was dumb but Axl proved them wrong.

Slash is a great guitarist and all without him they wouldn't of had the great riffs, but Axl really is the Guns n Roses mastermind like the RS article said.

Edited by Axl-rocks

They would certainly have found an agreement about the musical future of GN'R if one of the members had not been on a power trip and had not wanted to impose his tastes.

They would certainly have found an agreement about the musical future of GN'R if one of the members had not been on a power trip and had not wanted to impose his tastes.

well didn't Slash leave and said I'm not coming back unless you go my way with the music, that sounds likea power trip to me and Axl didn't change his mind. Slash wanted it his way or no way and since he didn't want to compromise , he left.

well didn't Slash leave and said I'm not coming back unless you go my way with the music, that sounds likea power trip to me and Axl didn't change his mind. Slash wanted it his way or no way and since he didn't want to compromise , he left.

They all left, not just Slash...

Yeah I know, Iguess they didn't trust Axls music albilty and now Slash is saying what Axl does is Brilliant. I bet he is kicking himself for leaving, it must be hard for him playing guitar next to scott weiland :scared:

Just a moment of time before he picks up the phone and gets in contact with Axl.

Yeah I know, Iguess they didn't trust Axls music albilty and now Slash is saying what Axl does is Brilliant. I bet he is kicking himself for leaving, it must be hard for him playing guitar next to scott weiland :scared:

Just a moment of time before he picks up the phone and gets in contact with Axl.

True. I cant see Axl phonin Slash to be honest! Would Slash seriously consider leavin VR though while they were still goin? I dont think he'd do that to Duff n Matt. But hopefully theyll go with him!

Grimo.

Well, that's Hollywood Rose and not Guns n Roses

The Guns parts come from LA Guns from where Slash was a member.

No,that's the first line up of G N' R. Look here 03-26-85. Read the flyer. It says: L.A Guns and Hollywood Rose presents the band Guns N' Roses.

Edited by droezle

Guest swwet_child

No offence here... but really what's the point of this thread? :huh:

Axl wanted the name, he now owns it and he will not drop it now just because we say so. :tongue2:

Edited by swwet_child