slash guitar trick

has anyone here seen that penn and teller clip of slash wailing, then he does the rat in the hat trick onstage, the magic trick?

then he takes his second solo?

well, he does this trick when he's fretting the fretboard then reaches up to the tuning peg area of the headstock and does this crazy 'wah wah wah wah' jimmy page like thing woth his right hand. it looks like he messes with the strings, but i'm not sure.

i would love to know how he does it, hopefully you guys can help

np

Nah, i know what it is. I've seen Jimmy Page do it. Right, you know the top of the guitar where the strings go over the nut? Well, on the otherside of the nut, if you pluck a string and then bend the strings down they'll tighten slightly and make that noise that Slash does. If you tap or hammer on etc and do it, You'll get that Slash Technique

has anyone here seen that penn and teller clip of slash wailing, then he does the rat in the hat trick onstage, the magic trick?

then he takes his second solo?

well, he does this trick when he's fretting the fretboard then reaches up to the tuning peg area of the headstock and does this crazy 'wah wah wah wah' jimmy page like thing woth his right hand. it looks like he messes with the strings, but i'm not sure.

i would love to know how he does it, hopefully you guys can help

np

I laughed hahahahahahaha! well.. I'm childish.... You would know what I mean if you were Icelandic

OMG

I haven't watched it in a while but I have Led Zepp's self titled DVD (not 'The Song Remains The Same') and I'm pretty sure I say Jimmy Page simply detuning his guitar.

Can't remember what song it was but he just fretted a note then proceeded to detune that string then retune it. I remember this distictly because I thought it was pretty cool that he could detune his guitar then get it back tot he right pitch mid-song.

And that headstock bending trick isn't very good for your guitar! Slash does it dirung Civil War but you have to remember that he (and Jimmy Page) gets given FREE Custom Gibson Les Pauls...FREE! He can bend the crap out of them all he wants and at the end of the night, his guitar tech will getit back in pristine condition.

So unless you're getting freebie Gibson Les Pauls and you have a guitar tech, use that trick sparringly. Note: I said sparringly because sometimes if I feel like it, I still do it.

I do neck bends all the time on my hardtail or tune-o-matic guitars, and have yet to mess any of them up. The worst you could do (aside from being a jackass and snapping your neck) is need a truss rod adjustment shortly thereafter, which are not hard to learn how to do.

It's a bit different, but Hendrix would trill then dive on the whammy bar, he does it in Machine Gun a bit, soudns really cool.

But since Gibson are homosexual they dont have a good ol' whammy bar :P

Epiphone les paul goth models have whammy bars.

So how come gibson dont :confused:

This applying pressure to the string between the nut and the tuning peg isnt healthy for your guitar,with the amount of pressure you put on there it pulls on the bridge and that isnt a good thing.

Ive been told vibratos are much better.

Vibrato.

And who says n00bs dont know shit :P .

It's a bit different, but Hendrix would trill then dive on the whammy bar, he does it in Machine Gun a bit, soudns really cool.

Epiphone les paul goth models have whammy bars.

So how come gibson dont :confused:

This applying pressure to the string between the nut and the tuning peg isnt healthy for your guitar,with the amount of pressure you put on there it pulls on the bridge and that isnt a good thing.

Ive been told vibratos are much better.

Vibrato.

And who says n00bs dont know shit :P .

That's a good article, but that guy is over-complicating it a bit.

Johnny boy, Johnny boy, Gibsons rock and you know it ;)

Heheh yes i secretly love them :ph34r:

you are aware jimi played a Gibson Flying V with a vibrato towards the end of his career?

Also, Gibson's Custom Shop is making a Hendrix Signature V now. it looks pretty sweet.

you are aware jimi played a Gibson Flying V with a vibrato towards the end of his career?

Also, Gibson's Custom Shop is making a Hendrix Signature V now. it looks pretty sweet.

Yep a bigsby vibrato, and if im not mistaken he used that Flying V to record All Along the Watchtower.

Bigsby's are great vibrato's but changing the spring is really hard.

Yep a bigsby vibrato, and if im not mistaken he used that Flying V to record All Along the Watchtower.

It wasn't a bigsby, it was a "Maestro." It's pretty much like whats on the Angus signature. God a bigsby would look awful on a V

It wasn't a bigsby, it was a "Maestro." It's pretty much like whats on the Angus signature. God a bigsby would look awful on a V

Oops, sorry. But i have seen V's with Bigsby's on them.

I stand corrected:

JimiV.GIF

They reason why he used a Flying V is obvious, because he could reach up the fretboard higher.

Edited by johnezz

They reason why he used a Flying V is obvious, because he could reach up the fretboard higher.

Yep. Same with the strat I suppose. Of course Jimi could've used an SG also. How badass would that be!!!

It would be badass like this:

hendrix1.jpg

Dude, Jimi would be baddass even if he played Bagpipes.