Modding a tube amp.

I was considering buying a Vox AC30 reissue, but it's only 30W, so I'm worried it may be too quiet. I may be joining a band where the leader plays with 100W solid-state. Is there anyway to get it modded to 60W.

If there isn't an inexpensive way to do this, how did Gilby get his AC30's heard when matched against Slash's 100W Marshall's

Edited by The Volitan

I was considering buying a Vox AC30 reissue, but it's only 30W, so I'm worried it may be too quiet. I may be joining a band where the leader plays with 100W solid-state. Is there anyway to get it modded to 60W.

If there isn't an inexpensive way to do this, how did Gilby get his AC30's heard when matched against Slash's 100W Marshall's

Don't know if you are talking about on stage or not, but whenever you see a wall of Marshall stacks at a venue, they are just there for show. Slash plays through a small amp (no more than 30w) through the PA system. This was taken from a guy I know who used to play with and support The Who back in the day. He bet his house (£1m+ house here) that every guitarist on stage does it.

From what I've heard....ac30's are really loud..

Don't know if you are talking about on stage or not, but whenever you see a wall of Marshall stacks at a venue, they are just there for show. Slash plays through a small amp (no more than 30w) through the PA system. This was taken from a guy I know who used to play with and support The Who back in the day. He bet his house (£1m+ house here) that every guitarist on stage does it.

I doubt Slash uses a 30W amp onstage. He uses his Signature heads which are at least 50W. And i am aware that most cabs you see onstage are dummies.

With a good PA I suppose it could be done but in a practice/rehearsal situation, would a 100W SS and 30W tube match up?

I doubt Slash uses a 30W amp onstage. He uses his Signature heads which are at least 50W. And i am aware that most cabs you see onstage are dummies.

With a good PA I suppose it could be done but in a practice/rehearsal situation, would a 100W SS and 30W tube match up?

The AC30 isn´t LOUD LOUD, it´s loud yeah... It´s clean as hell though.

And sharper waves go faster, less volume needed to get up to pair with a 100watt that needs to carry alot of bass with it.

But all in all on stage you don´t need to worry.

in rehearsals I´d recommend you to get him to lower his volume a bit.

The singer needs to hear himself too ya know :)

I bet that when you are maxed out on the AC then your singer can´t hear himself anyways.

unless you have a PA system that´s REALLY fuckn solid.

The AC30 isn´t LOUD LOUD, it´s loud yeah... It´s clean as hell though.

And sharper waves go faster, less volume needed to get up to pair with a 100watt that needs to carry alot of bass with it.

But all in all on stage you don´t need to worry.

in rehearsals I´d recommend you to get him to lower his volume a bit.

The singer needs to hear himself too ya know :)

I bet that when you are maxed out on the AC then your singer can´t hear himself anyways.

unless you have a PA system that´s REALLY fuckn solid.

Good points. They're saving up for a new PA, so idk.

I don't even know about getting an AC now. They don't have a midrange knob, or and overdrive. I was thinking of pairing it with a Boss Blues-Driver, but it sill sucks about the midrange.