Jimi Hendrix's Hand-Painted 1967 Flying V

Gibson Launches the "Inspired By" (Series) Jimi Hendrix Hand-Painted 1967 Flying V

jhflyv.jpg

I Guess the most accurate way to describe it would be by describing Zeus holding his Thunder...Magnificient...

Histroy of the Guitar

Jimi Hendrix’s hand-painted 1967 Flying V is a mythical instrument. Purchased in 1967

and used on tour in Europe during 1967 and 1968, the guitar-with its swirling

psychedelic designs-highlights the spirit of the times and showcases Jimi's unique

artistic expression. The entire instrument emanates a feeling of warmth and love.

Meticulously recreating Jimi’s guitar has been a labor of love for us as well. Originally

painted with what appears to be nail polish, we have used materials which reproduce

the same sense of depth and texture. But this is a Gibson Custom guitar, so the

materials and hardware are faithful reproductions of the original. The result is an

instrument with unsurpassed playability and classic tone. The Jimi Hendrix Psychedelic

Flying V is an original work of art that you can beautifully display or proudly play.

Come feel the love.

Specifications

Body & Hardware:

Solid mahogany body

Chrome hardware

Late 60’s ABR-1 bridge, Maestro tailpiece

Neck & Headstock:

1-piece mahogany neck

22 fret rosewood fingerboard

Pearloid dot inlays

Rounded neck profile

24 3/4" scale length, 1 9/16" nut width

Double band vintage tulip tuners

Electronics & Strings:

’57 Classic pickups

2 volume, 1 tone, 3-way selector switch

Vintage Reissue .010 strings

A Letter From The Artist

In brainstorming sessions with the folks at the Custom Shop, we tried to imagine the

conditions under which Hendrix created this artwork. He was probably on the road,

using whatever was at hand for paint. It could have been poster paint, nail polish,

acrylics, or hobby enamels. We will never know.

It was done quickly and with confidence - a direct, immediate expression of what he

was feeling at the moment. I remember thinking that if someone handed me a guitar

to paint I would never have come up with the images that Jimi painted. They were

totally personal and came directly from his spirit: hearts, flowers, leaves, kissing lips,

and of course, “love drops.”

There’s no question that you can feel Jimi’s personal expression in the work. When he

played this guitar, it must have dropped jaws twice - sonically and visually!

Bruce Kunkel

December, 2005

s_237.jpg

Gibson Custom - Jimi Hendrix Flying V

Edited by Me Scandar