Which GNR songs do you class as "anthems"??

Gallagher Rose

For me they are:

Madagascar : Their new anthemic song..The Blues is cool,but it's not that fantastic.

Estranged: Yes,it's really immense

November Rain : Epic song

Sweet Child O' Mine : Every cunt in the world know this song :xmasssanta:

Paradise City : The most anthemic song,and the most sing-along.

"Anthem": (stolen from m-w)

a : a psalm or hymn sung antiphonally or responsively

b : a sacred vocal composition with words usually from the Scriptures

2 : a song or hymn of praise or gladness

Sadly, GNR don't make "sacred" music or anything that could be considered a "hymn" (see Creed). However, pressed to go with songs sung by the general public 'responsively', I'd have to say WTTJ, SCOM and Paradise City. Well, at least a good percentage of people can <sorta> sing along. I guess most of us just sing them in our sleep by now.......

Anyway, look for Silkworms to change all that. No doubt it will become an anthem for generations to come.

I keeeeeeed, I keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!!!!!!! - Triumph

(eu brincooooo, eu brincooooooooooo!!!!!)

the new songs can take a running jump!! no way are they anthemic in the slightest!!

estranged on the album is so just sooo long and overblown and boring!! dont even get me started on the live

version.... zzzzzzzz

november rain isnt really anthemic live, but the studio version is good, even though its slightly over produced...

welcome to the jungle is almost there but it dosent quite have that hook to it!!

paradise city and sweet child are the only anthemic guns n roses songs in existance...FACT!!

edit: one could say knockin on heavens door is an anthem live, but i still consider it Dylans work afterall...

Edited by Charles Manson

the new songs can take a running jump!! no way are they anthemic in the slightest!!
I totally agree. How can anyone consider Madagascar an anthem?? :rofl-lol: Or any of the new stuff. Nothing we've heard even comes close to being an anthem. That doesn't mean its bad, its just not gonna catch on like the AFD hits. It doesn't seem like Axl is even aiming for any 'anthemic' music anyways. If he was, he would have pulled one out of his hat during the 2002 tour.

I totally agree. How can anyone consider Madagascar an anthem?? :rofl-lol: Or any of the new stuff. Nothing we've heard even comes close to being an anthem. That doesn't mean its bad, its just not gonna catch on like the AFD hits. It doesn't seem like Axl is even aiming for any 'anthemic' music anyways. If he was, he would have pulled one out of his hat during the 2002 tour.

OK guys. But The Blues is a fantastic song, probably not an anthem, but better than NR or Estranged (which aren't bad). Axl is so good in the mid-tempos, ballads... though we still don't know if this band can give us some real kickass rock tunes like WTTJ, PC, Nightrain or YCBM.

Edited by One Speed Bike

IMO, Paradise City is the only song you could say is a true GNR Anthem. It has always been their closer, their knock out blow when kicking ass for 2 1/2 hours on stage. The chorus even has some kind of purpose and is catchy to sing along with. The opening guitar chords and are dramatic. The video shows a dedicated stadium crowd rocking out to this song way before Guns N' Roses could draw a crowd of that size on their own (was it recorded on the Rolling Stones 88 Steel Wheels Tour or something). The ending is perfect. I could go on and on... Madagascar is no "anthem". The intro to the song and the keyboard sound throughout could be easily replicated on the Casio SK-5 sampling keyboard I had as a kid. Sometimes I need to listen closely to see if the dog bark sample is hidden in the song... As much as I like The Blues or any post-appetite song, I cannot think of one that you would consider an Anthem.

OK guys. But The Blues is a fantastic song, probably not an anthem, but better than NR or Estranged (which aren't bad). Axl is so good in the mid-tempos, ballads... though we still don't know if this band can give us some real kickass rock tunes like WTTJ, PC, Nightrain or YCBM.

You're telling me you honestly believe the Blues is better than November Rain and Estranged?

Wow.. that's a bit of a stretch..

By the way, Axl won't be able to give us songs like Welcome to the Jungle, Paradise City, Nightrain, or You Could Be Mine.. because he wasn't responsible for the musical direction of those songs -- the band was..

Rose was involved in writing lyrics to the music..

Do you expect Robin Finck to give us another Jungle?

Anyway,.. to answer the question, the three anthems that Guns N' Roses will always be remembered for are Welcome to the Jungle, Sweet Child 'O Mine and Paradise City.

-Kickingthehabit

You're telling me you honestly believe the Blues is better than November Rain and Estranged?

Wow.. that's a bit of a stretch..

You can say that again. The Blues is a good tune but November Rain is a CLASSIC. And, in my opinion, Estranged is one of the best GNR songs ever. Its my personal fave (next to Jungle - which is my answer to the initial question).

Everyone is entitled to their opinions though....no right or wrong and answer. Unless you say "my world". haha :rofl-lol:

I would say that:

Welcome to the Jungle

Paradise City

Night train

Sweet Child O' Mine

November Rain

Estranged

are the anthems although the best SONGS are:

1. Mr. Brownstone

2. Anything Goes

3. November Rain

4. Sweet Child O' Mine