GNR playing Rock in Rio

xBrownstonex

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guns n’ Roses are coming to Rock in Rio-Lisboa!

In 2001, the new version of Guns n’ Roses performed at the third edition of Rock in Rio. More than 200.000

fans witnessed the return of Guns n’ Roses, after 7 years away from the stage.

Axl Rose introduced the new band during a show of more than two hours, which was considered to be the

best of the entire event. Today, 5 years later, the show of Guns n’ Roses at the City of Rock promises to be

a historic one, both for Rock in Rio and for Portugal.

By: Paulo M. Guerrinha

Uh, you wish!! The band was pretty good, but Axl's voice was weak and often off key. Besides, Iron Maiden put on a kick-ass show at RIR 2001. I'm not sure if Gn'R could surpass Maiden's performance even in their heyday.

Edited by macunaima

Guns n’ Roses are coming to Rock in Rio-Lisboa!

In 2001, the new version of Guns n’ Roses performed at the third edition of Rock in Rio. More than 200.000

fans witnessed the return of Guns n’ Roses, after 7 years away from the stage.

Axl Rose introduced the new band during a show of more than two hours, which was considered to be the

best of the entire event. Today, 5 years later, the show of Guns n’ Roses at the City of Rock promises to be

a historic one, both for Rock in Rio and for Portugal.

By: Paulo M. Guerrinha

Uh, you wish!! The band was pretty good, but Axl's voice was weak and often off key. Besides, Iron Maiden put on a kick-ass show at RIR 2001. I'm not sure if Gn'R could surpass Maiden's performance even in their heyday.

shut up :angry::angry: don´t talk like that about Axl!

Axl Rose is not God. He fucks up sometimes and it's okay to say so and at RIR his voice sounded like crap. I like the new songs and I'm looking forward to the new album (if it ever comes out), but that doesn't mean that I'm blind to the fact that Axl sucked at RIR (and throughout most of the 2001-2002 tour).

Besides, Iron Maiden is also an excellent band. They're especially an excellent live band and their RIR performance in 2001 was unbelievable. (as was their RIR performance back in 1985) Guns n' Roses have never been that good. Sorry to upset you, but its a fact. AfD might be better than most Iron Maiden studio albums, but get these bands on a stage in front of an audience, and there is no contest.

Now piss off...

:anger::angry:

I already have a ticket!!!!!

That's great !

Perhaps more dates will be announced so I prefer to wait before purchasing a ticket for Lisbon.

I would not have much hope on that.... You should just see it on TV or buy a ticket to Lisbon (I live in Lisbon and I never loved the city so much as now) :P

I already have a ticket!!!!!

That's great !

Perhaps more dates will be announced so I prefer to wait before purchasing a ticket for Lisbon.

I would not have much hope on that.... You should just see it on TV or buy a ticket to Lisbon (I live in Lisbon and I never loved the city so much as now) :P

I'm pretty confident that they will do a festival in the UK... And yes, Lisbon is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe.

Edited by Alan Niveen

i cant believe i left it so long to join this forum ive only been following the mygnr page since about 99!! but anyway im soo going to lisbon man have my flights hotel and ticket for the gig booked but i found out this morning im not sure if this is 100% but theres a rumour that gnr mught be playing in dublin on the 9th of june heard this from the guy who told me metallica were confirmed to play the same venue 2 weeks before it was oficially announced if this is tru i shall be going to both and whatever uk shows are planned and download looks more likely now as gnr will probably headline the last night the night metallica are playin dublin...

i cant believe i left it so long to join this forum ive only been following the mygnr page since about 99!! but anyway im soo going to lisbon man have my flights hotel and ticket for the gig booked but i found out this morning im not sure if this is 100% but theres a rumour that gnr mught be playing in dublin on the 9th of june heard this from the guy who told me metallica were confirmed to play the same venue 2 weeks before it was oficially announced if this is tru i shall be going to both and whatever uk shows are planned and download looks more likely now as gnr will probably headline the last night the night metallica are playin dublin...

Well You know that rumours are something that is on the GNr history in the las 10 years so I will try to see if that is really true and if I find something Ill let you know..... Anyway you cannot miss the Lisbon gig...

Well You know that rumours are something that is on the GNr history in the las 10 years so I will try to see if that is really true and if I find something Ill let you know..... Anyway you cannot miss the Lisbon gig...

theres not a hope of me missing the lisbon gig man i went to rock am ring a few years ago because they were sheduled to play had everything arranged and they pulled out had to make do with kid feckin rock and stinkin park......roll on to 2002 they confirmed the leeds and london gigs booked me ticket and flight for the leeds gig and put money aside on the off chance they actually would play to my delight they did so we flew back to dublin the morning after the gig and booked tickets to fly out to the london gig with no tickets that morning have some really great pics got right at the front barrier amzing shows...sorry for the long story but i think you get my point lmao rock3

Ok... I got your point... Anyway if someone wants to go he should buy the tickets now.... There were some fanatic people buying tickets today at 10 AM (like me :P ).... so dont take to long..... You can buy it online...

Axl Rose is not God. He fucks up sometimes and it's okay to say so and at RIR his voice sounded like crap. I like the new songs and I'm looking forward to the new album (if it ever comes out), but that doesn't mean that I'm blind to the fact that Axl sucked at RIR (and throughout most of the 2001-2002 tour).

Besides, Iron Maiden is also an excellent band. They're especially an excellent live band and their RIR performance in 2001 was unbelievable. (as was their RIR performance back in 1985) Guns n' Roses have never been that good. Sorry to upset you, but its a fact. AfD might be better than most Iron Maiden studio albums, but get these bands on a stage in front of an audience, and there is no contest.

Now piss off...

:anger::angry:

Umm, you're welcome to your opinion, but you are most definitely in the minority. G 'n R in their prime was much much MUCH better than Iron Maiden. Hell I don't even like Iron Maiden at all and wouldn't give a nickle for one of their cds. But that's my opinion. See how that works?

Umm, you're welcome to your opinion, but you are most definitely in the minority. G 'n R in their prime was much much MUCH better than Iron Maiden. Hell I don't even like Iron Maiden at all and wouldn't give a nickle for one of their cds. But that's my opinion. See how that works?

I agree.... GNR is better that Iron Maiden and the performance of GNr was much better.... Anyway Im not saying that Iron Maiden are a bad band but they are not better thatn GNR in any possible way

I sort of agree.

I thought that show was loaded with problems. I think the new songs sound great, but I was not really impressed with hardly any of the old ones from this show. 'Live And Let Die' and 'You Could Be Mine' are especially weak.

I sort of agree.

I thought that show was loaded with problems. I think the new songs sound great, but I was not really impressed with hardly any of the old ones from this show. 'Live And Let Die' and 'You Could Be Mine' are especially weak.

Listen to The Blues from Boston '02 and tell me he doesn't still have his voice.. (gave me the chills the first time I heard it, awesome song) I think he's still got the voice. Just have to keep in mind he's 44 now and not in shape (his voice that is)... I'm sure he's been working on it, or I hope so at least.

Edited by Focker

Well, this is a matter of opinion, that's true. But some opinions are biased and uniformed.

Gn'R and Maiden have been my favorite bands since 1988 when I first discovered both of them (around the same time.) Like I said, I think that AfD is better than most Iron Maiden studio albums, and if you take only the good stuff from UYI I&II, then that would probably be better than *any* Iron Maiden studio album. But, of course, Maiden has released 13 studio album during their career while Gn'R has only released 3.5 (LIES only counts half) -- Maiden released 7 albums since the release of AfD. So it isn't surprising that Maiden's material tends to be more diluted and spread out.

In any case, whatever you may think about the relative qualities of the studio albums, there is simply no contest between their live shows. I haven't actually counted, but Iron Maiden has played probably 10x more live shows that Gn'R, and probably 100x more live shows that the current line-up. It is neither surprising, nor is it a dig against Gn'R to recognize that Iron Maiden is a better live band.

Edited by macunaima

I sort of agree.

Listen to The Blues from Boston '02 and tell me he doesn't still have his voice.. (gave me the chills the first time I heard it, awesome song) I think he's still got the voice. Just have to keep in mind he's 44 now and not in shape (his voice that is)... I'm sure he's been working on it, or I hope so at least.

Like I said, he sounds great on the new stuff.

But older tunes like 'Jungle' just don't make it without the screech.

Good point about his voice being in shape, but I could counter that only performing once every blue moon is not going to help him get it into any sort of consistent shape.

I agree that Axl still has his voice. The recently leaked tracks prove that. My point was not that Axl is a has-been. My point was simply that he did not perform very well at RIR 2001, and through most of the 2000-2001 tour. I don't think I've actually heard 'The Blues' from Boston -- at least not recently. The recording I have is from Pittsburgh, and while I think it is a great song, I don't think Axl does a very good job.

Edited by macunaima