MSN difficulties - help needed

nameless_girl

First of all, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I've never started a thread like this before and I really didn't know where to put this one - I considered putting it in "Support", but that's only for problems directly related to the forum, which this is not, so I've decided for "Anything Goes" instead... :unsure:

Anyway, I'm having difficulties using MSN Messenger (actually MSN Web Messenger, since the real MSN Messenger requires downloading things first and there's no way I'm doing that - I've downloaded things from MSN that crashed my computer too many times in the past to be eager to do it anytime soon). Anyway, when I'm chatting to someone all of a sudden I stop being able to see their messages (although I can still see their little "speaking cloud" flashing, so I know they actually are still sending me instant messages). When that happens, I usually have to sign out and sign back in (and sometimes even reboot the computer) to be able to resume the conversation and even that doesn't always work. <_<

I'm not sure why this is happening, since it seems to be a really strange problem that none of the people I know have ever had. Also, the last time I checked, none of my antivirus programs (AVG, AntiVir and Spybot - Search & Destroy) could find any one virus affecting my internet connection all the time. I also use Agnitum Outpost Firewall, so I thought about that being the cause of the problem, but if so, I don't know why it would affect only MSN. :question: Basically, what I'm trying to say is that I have no idea why this is happening, so if anyone has ever had this problem or knows anything about it, any help you can offer would really be appreciated.

First of all, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I've never started a thread like this before and I really didn't know where to put this one - I considered putting it in "Support", but that's only for problems directly related to the forum, which this is not, so I've decided for "Anything Goes" instead... :unsure:

Anyway, I'm having difficulties using MSN Messenger (actually MSN Web Messenger, since the real MSN Messenger requires downloading things first and there's no way I'm doing that - I've downloaded things from MSN that crashed my computer too many times in the past to be eager to do it anytime soon). Anyway, when I'm chatting to someone all of a sudden I stop being able to see their messages (although I can still see their little "speaking cloud" flashing, so I know they actually are still sending me instant messages). When that happens, I usually have to sign out and sign back in (and sometimes even reboot the computer) to be able to resume the conversation and even that doesn't always work. <_<

I'm not sure why this is happening, since it seems to be a really strange problem that none of the people I know have ever had. Also, the last time I checked, none of my antivirus programs (AVG, AntiVir and Spybot - Search & Destroy) could find any one virus affecting my internet connection all the time. I also use Agnitum Outpost Firewall, so I thought about that being the cause of the problem, but if so, I don't know why it would affect only MSN. :question: Basically, what I'm trying to say is that I have no idea why this is happening, so if anyone has ever had this problem or knows anything about it, any help you can offer would really be appreciated.

MSN web messenger is still in "Beta" phase which means it will have lots of bugs. It may not be your computer it may be a known issue. I suggest emailing MSN. Also, you can try www.trillian.cc , it is a free messenger program that allows you to use all your messengers at once. It is a small, well written program, I doubt it could do anything to "crash" your puter.

Edited by Mr_Sparkle

MSN web messenger is still in "Beta" phase which means it will have lots of bugs. It may not be your computer it may be a known issue. I suggest emailing MSN. Also, you can try www.trillian.cc , it is a free messenger program that allows you to use all your messengers at once. It is a small, well written program, I doubt it could do anything to "crash" your puter.

Thanks so very much :kiss:

I've followed your advice and gotten Trillian Basic, so now we'll see whether I can finally have normal conversations over MSN :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
Just thought I'd let you know it's working :D (well, at least most of the time - there are still occasionally a couple of glitches <_< ), so if anyone else ever has the same difficulties, Trillian Basic 3 helps.

If you're having the same issues with both MSN web messenger and Trillian then it could be a connection issue. My old dial up connection used to do that to me all the time.

R.