GN'R post-party at Lower East Side Club

mwillmz

Before the show, word spread of a post-show party where the band was reported to appear. A while after the concert, my partner-in-crime and I took a cab down to the bar (around 3am) to take a look around. The idea of actually finding the band seemed kind of remote to me but it was worth a shot, right?

So we approach the door of the club and expected to be denied by the doormen for not being on the list. But they let us right in. The club was very, very dark inside and pretty well jammed with people. (For any of the guys who saw the show from the floor on Friday, you may recall a gal in the first balcony with long brown hair and wearing a bustiere and jeans, immediately to our left...she was there.)

We maneuvered our way downstairs just to check it out, figuring the band wouldn't be there. This is no glamorous place either. They had a Playboy bunny logo behind a small DJ table...dimly lit...some mirrors here and there. I glanced down the room (which was well-packed with a cool mixture of people——it was kind of a hip-hop and club-music crowd...most people probably unaware of GN'R). Down at the end of the room, sitting in the booth was a dude with gold braids and kind of hunched over talking to somebody. Axl freakin' Rose...30 feet away!!

We walked to the back of the bar and hung out near him. There were a bunch of people gathered around. Some guy was monopolizing his time so it was hard to approach him. He had on the brown leather jacket we've seen in recent photos and he still had on the black ring with diamonds from the show. He didn't really have anybody standing around protecting him. Bach was sitting in the booth and Finck was standing nearby. Axl eventually got up and made his way upstairs. He's not big. He's the world's biggest rockstar on stage but not a large man.

He stopped along the way to take pictures with the ladies who approached him. We followed him upstairs and he eventually sat in a booth. Bach sat next to him. Axl was constantly being approached by girls (and a few guys). He was good enough to greet them and so on, which was cool. Finck was standing around talking with friends; he had a Bing Crosby-like hat. Very cool guy. The DJ played a song from Appetite when Axl sat down.

Axl eventually got up and made his way to the front door. It was pretty crowded around him so I positioned near the front door. I would have liked to shake his hand but he shot out the door pretty quick. He had some body guards paving the way too. I patted him on the shoulder as he walked out.

There were a few semi-recognizable actors outside and we shot the breeze with one of them. Can't remember his name but a very cool guy. (He let us know about the party in the first place). Baz took off with a friend in a cab. Axl took off a little before that.

As if seeing GN'R's first comeback show wasn't cool enough, catching Axl at a club afterwards was freakin' cool as hell. An amazing scene and unforgettable time.

WOW.

You didnt go and talk to him and get his autograph?

I wouldnt care if he thought I was a psychopath stalker as long as I got his autograph and shook his hand!

And you touched Axl. I envy you.

Yeah, it was a little weird. You'd think you'd want to get in his face but it wasn't my natural reaction. It was really cool enough for me just to see him there.

A handshake and a hello would have been really cool but an autograph seemed out of the question in the moment. It was best to just stand around and seem unaffected.