Enyone else try to sing like Axl?

And i mean that bad ass rasping in WTTJ.

The other day i really made a really similar sound like the opening scream in WTTJ on the cd, it was rally cool.

dan mccafferty, rod stewart, the acdc singer.... tons...

if you mean singer. and singing with that rasp ain´t hard, it comes naturally in a way with proper training.

The other day i really made a really similar sound like the opening scream in WTTJ on the cd, it was rally cool.

if you mean singer. and singing with that rasp ain´t hard, it comes naturally in a way with proper training.

I might have missunderstood the meaning of "rasping"?

Enyway..... If you think its easy to sound like Axl, then lucky you.......I find it hard :(

Enyway..... If you think its easy to sound like Axl, then lucky you.......I find it hard :(

that´s cus u sing with your mouth. Morten Harket sings with his mouth, mouth and proper breath control and support from the right areas.

Singing hard rock with rasp limits your range one way or the other. Hence appetite and illusions. where in the illusions Axl used different voices and sounded "bigger" he limited the use of rasp.

On appetite he sang with one style in mind.

I guess I´m trying to say that´s why appetite sounded like appetite, through the whole record.

so I´ll break it down to ya.

if you want to sing like Robert Plant and Axl Rose. Start sing in a pop band or any band for that matter. And sing with your normal voice in the start. if you´re an experienced singer you can jump down to part two, that will follow soon.

For beginners; singing with rasp takes patience and practice. you need to slowly build up your voice and chords. it´s much like working out any muscle in the body.

Practice everyday, and NOT 12 hours. (had to learn that the hard way). Give urself a good warmup, buy a tape or see a vocal coach to get warmup tape made that you can use before you start practicing.

Sing advanced scales and NOT the boring and useless up n down do-re-mi. ´cus that crap doesn´t help you a bit. it´s only good for warming up a babies voice.

Now that you are warmed up you start singing songs. sing them in a NORMAL volume. DO NOT ATTEMPT to sing with 100db of volume. Any microphone will amplify your voice anyways and thus give you a greater range and character bla bla. I´ll get to that later...

warming up and practicing gives stronger chords and a stronger voice. when you are getting used to your own voice you can start forcing on the FRY as we call it, and not the RASP as you call it ;)

Fry your voice for PARTS of a song. if you pay close attention to Axl singing on Appetite. he doesn´t use the fry/rasp through the whole record on every song. he sometimes backs off and lets his normal voice come to play. the stronger you get, and build up your fry the longer you can use it.

YOU CAN ofcourse just go QVC and buy a bottle of throat numbner and sing, but you WILL get a throat infection and you are on penicillin for hte next week.

so practice is what you need. give it a few months before you attempt singing WTTJ in AXL style. Even Axl had to practice and build up his voice to get that rasp. it doesn´t come free.

And it also comes with a hefty price.

Another thing is that if you wanna nail the SCREAMING which isn´t the RASP/FRY. that´s something that needs to come from your ass and balls rather than your throat. you just gotta SCREAM it, and be able to control the airflow to the limit where you can actually sing.

too much force and you´ll break, too little and you won´t sound good.

and another thing is that you need to be able to transist from your normal voice THRROUGH a MIXED voice into a falsetto. the MIX voice is the voice that Axl uses alot, and is the sound generated between the falsetto and full or normal voice.

also, singing has nothing to do with volume. you need to use the volume right. keep in mind those songs are tracked in a studio. not in your livingroom with ur boombox on 100db+++

try losening up your throat and stand infront of a mirror. try not to move around your adams apple too much. since ur chords are right behind it. sing with a normal voice till you feel that you are hitting the notes, and make yourself comfortable with your own voice.

PART TWO.

for those of you who sing alot.

if you don´t know how tha fuck to sing with a rasp, and don´t know what it is. I suggest you read part one and practice till you got ur shit together.

then this part will be useless for ya.

that´s cus u sing with your mouth. Morten Harket sings with his mouth, mouth and proper breath control and support from the right areas.

Singing hard rock with rasp limits your range one way or the other. Hence appetite and illusions. where in the illusions Axl used different voices and sounded "bigger" he limited the use of rasp.

I guess I´m trying to say that´s why appetite sounded like appetite, through the whole record.

if you want to sing like Robert Plant and Axl Rose. Start sing in a pop band or any band for that matter. And sing with your normal voice in the start. if you´re an experienced singer you can jump down to part two, that will follow soon.

For beginners; singing with rasp takes patience and practice. you need to slowly build up your voice and chords. it´s much like working out any muscle in the body.

Practice everyday, and NOT 12 hours. (had to learn that the hard way). Give urself a good warmup, buy a tape or see a vocal coach to get warmup tape made that you can use before you start practicing.

Sing advanced scales and NOT the boring and useless up n down do-re-mi. ´cus that crap doesn´t help you a bit. it´s only good for warming up a babies voice.

Now that you are warmed up you start singing songs. sing them in a NORMAL volume. DO NOT ATTEMPT to sing with 100db of volume. Any microphone will amplify your voice anyways and thus give you a greater range and character bla bla. I´ll get to that later...

warming up and practicing gives stronger chords and a stronger voice. when you are getting used to your own voice you can start forcing on the FRY as we call it, and not the RASP as you call it ;)

Fry your voice for PARTS of a song. if you pay close attention to Axl singing on Appetite. he doesn´t use the fry/rasp through the whole record on every song. he sometimes backs off and lets his normal voice come to play. the stronger you get, and build up your fry the longer you can use it.

YOU CAN ofcourse just go QVC and buy a bottle of throat numbner and sing, but you WILL get a throat infection and you are on penicillin for hte next week.

so practice is what you need. give it a few months before you attempt singing WTTJ in AXL style. Even Axl had to practice and build up his voice to get that rasp. it doesn´t come free.

Another thing is that if you wanna nail the SCREAMING which isn´t the RASP/FRY. that´s something that needs to come from your ass and balls rather than your throat. you just gotta SCREAM it, and be able to control the airflow to the limit where you can actually sing.

and another thing is that you need to be able to transist from your normal voice THRROUGH a MIXED voice into a falsetto. the MIX voice is the voice that Axl uses alot, and is the sound generated between the falsetto and full or normal voice.

also, singing has nothing to do with volume. you need to use the volume right. keep in mind those songs are tracked in a studio. not in your livingroom with ur boombox on 100db+++

try losening up your throat and stand infront of a mirror. try not to move around your adams apple too much. since ur chords are right behind it. sing with a normal voice till you feel that you are hitting the notes, and make yourself comfortable with your own voice.

PART TWO.

if you don´t know how tha fuck to sing with a rasp, and don´t know what it is. I suggest you read part one and practice till you got ur shit together.

Wow, thanks for the tip.

I have consider long to go to a vocal coach or wtf its called, but it helps to sing along with guitar pro too, lol

PART TWO.

Wow, thanks for the tip.

I have consider long to go to a vocal coach or wtf its called, but it helps to sing along with guitar pro too, lol

guess we see you on the next IDOL :rofl-lol:

PART TWO.

Wow, thanks for the tip.

Lol, Im not selling my soul to the pop industry tough ;) (not that I have a chance in HELL to win, :rofl-lol: )

But It would be fun to see what Tor Milde(eller hva han heter) have to say about my voice :lol:

PART TWO.

Wow, thanks for the tip.

Lol, Im not selling my soul to the pop industry tough ;) (not that I have a chance in HELL to win, :rofl-lol: )

But It would be fun to see what Tor Milde(eller hva han heter) have to say about my voice :lol:

it would be fun to hear and see what they thougt if some one was singing wttj with the intro scream and snake dance and jumping around on one foot :rofl-lol:

PART TWO.

Wow, thanks for the tip.

Lol, Im not selling my soul to the pop industry tough ;) (not that I have a chance in HELL to win, )

But It would be fun to see what Tor Milde(eller hva han heter) have to say about my voice

it would be fun to hear and see what they thougt if some one was singing wttj with the intro scream and snake dance and jumping around on one foot :rofl-lol:

Careful now...........your encouraging me to do it! :rofl-lol:

hahaha :lol: