Mercyful Fate

FunkyMonk

Ive been listening to them quite a bit recently, and they are awesome. Great guitar, pretty cool satanic lyrics (if youre into that kinda thing), and King Diamond has a great voice. Nothing like I'd expect from what he looks like.

55kingdiamond1cr6.jpg

Ive only got one album, Don't Break the Oath. It is great.

So does anyone here like them.....or maybe heard anything by them?

I like the guitar work, but King Diamond's voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard. Listening to their music gives me an eerie feeling, like being in the presence of evil personified. The only thing I know about them is that they were around in the early 80's but broke up when King Diamond embarked on a solo career. They got back together a few years back.

As far as the satanic thing, I think it's just a big act. A true philosophical satanist would try to portray Lucifer as the liberator of mankind, while these guys are all about evil and darkness. I know some satanist do focus on the dark aspects, but they are mostly confused teenagers and not pure Luciferians.

I'm not one of them BTW, I've just studied it a lot along with most every other religion.

Edited by bax

I like the guitar work, but King Diamond's voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard. Listening to their music gives me an eerie feeling, like being in the presence of evil personified. The only thing I know about them is that they were around in the early 80's but broke up when King Diamond embarked on a solo career. They got back together a few years back.

As far as the satanic thing, I think it's just a big act. A true philosophical satanist would try to portray Lucifer as the liberator of mankind, while these guys are all about evil and darkness. I know some satanist do focus on the dark aspects, but they are mostly confused teenagers and not pure Luciferians.

I'm not one of them BTW, I've just studied it a lot along with most every other religion.

yeah i agree. except for his voice, which i find good, and it is a good contrast to the guitars in most parts. i have read some things on King Diamond, and he has said that he is a Satanist, and follows loosly the Satanist religion set by Anton LaVey. But as far as the satanic themes in the songs, no matter how hollow it is, it suits their music IMO, and just generally enhances the feel.

yeah i agree. except for his voice, which i find good, and it is a good contrast to the guitars in most parts. i have read some things on King Diamond, and he has said that he is a Satanist, and follows loosly the Satanist religion set by Anton LaVey. But as far as the satanic themes in the songs, no matter how hollow it is, it suits their music IMO, and just generally enhances the feel.

Anton LeVay is somewhat of a showman and buffoon in the eyes of most Luciferians, but for those into it just for publicity, his church is a great PR move. Just ask Marylin Manson.

You're right about his voice- his range is amazing, I just find it irritating when he sings so frigging high.

I really love Mercyful Fate and King Diamond stuff. I have all of King Diamond albums and three from Mercyful Fate. I saw King Diamond live this spring on their European Tour and they were really amazing. The setlist was very very strong plus they played two great Fate songs, "Come To The Sabbath" and "Evil". King had problems with his throat and there was a rumour going on that the show would be cancelled, but in the end after a torturing long intro tape the set started and as I said it was f'king great. All hail the King!

Edited by Black Adder