virtuoso guitarists

frankwhite

can u name some songs by like, this sounds gay but, y'know, buckethead type guitarists?? by which i mean not like, genre-wise i mean jus in terms of, talented n virtuosic (sp) in that way. someone mentioned joe satri-somethin, i dunno, im jus totally getting into that shit, its really cool n before now i aint known nothin in that vein cept for jimi hendrix who i love n i have tonsa shit of...but yeah, can someone reccomend me some shit?

can u name some songs by like, this sounds gay but, y'know, buckethead type guitarists?? by which i mean not like, genre-wise i mean jus in terms of, talented n virtuosic (sp) in that way. someone mentioned joe satri-somethin, i dunno, im jus totally getting into that shit, its really cool n before now i aint known nothin in that vein cept for jimi hendrix who i love n i have tonsa shit of...but yeah, can someone reccomend me some shit?

why the hell do you cal it gay?

why the hell do you cal it gay?

i was callin my inability to clearly express what im tryin to express without rambling gay. not in the homosexual sense, it's just an expression meaning stupid/fucked up etc. thanx two other reccomenders!! :):)

Edited by frankwhite

Everyone mentioned so far have been the metal-shredder types, which is fine if that's all your into. If you want to try some different genres of music, try Derek Trucks(blues/rock), Wes Montgomery(classic jazz), John McGlaughlin(fusion) or Trey Anastasio(jam bands).

"this sounds gay but, y'know, buckethead type guitarists?? "

:chef:

right, meaning the fact that i cant come up with a better description than buckethead type guitarists? fuck it, i cant be bothered to explain, everyone else gets it. thanx for the reccomendations folks, much appreciated.

Edited by frankwhite

depends what sort of music you want....if you just want some full-on metal shredding try some Michael Angelo Batio, or some Malmsteen, but if you want a variety of styles Buckethead or some Bumblefoot have some different stuff. They're just your more well known guitarists i guess..

Jeff Beck! Oh, oh, oh and Steve Vai.. And Joe Santrani..

And also; intersting footnote: Check out Jaco Pastorious! He's a bassist I know.. Its just amazing though how he can produce so many sounds with a bass.. Its practically like listening to guitar! I love him!

xDSGx

And also; intersting footnote: Check out Jaco Pastorious! He's a bassist I know.. Its just amazing though how he can produce so many sounds with a bass.. Its practically like listening to guitar! I love him!

xDSGx

Jaco is amazing-definitely one of the best bassists ever. Great to see him getting props here!

Edited by bax

xDSGx

Jaco is amazing-definitely one of the best bassists ever. Great to see him getting props here!

I'm quietly making people appriciate bass more! I'm sick of it being ignored.. Bassists deserve just as much respect as guitarist.. So, everytime someone mentions guitar.. A slip a little bassist in there..

*cough* Check out Victor Wooton.. *cough*

xDSGx

xDSGx

I'm quietly making people appriciate bass more! I'm sick of it being ignored.. Bassists deserve just as much respect as guitarist.. So, everytime someone mentions guitar.. A slip a little bassist in there..

xDSGx

He's great also. Bela Fleck and the Flecktones rock, and his solo stuff is pretty amazing as well. You should really check out Oteil Burbridge. He plays with Oteil and the Peacemakers, Aquarium Rescue Unit and the Allman Brothers.

Edited by bax

xDSGx

xDSGx

He's great also. Bela Fleck and the Flecktones rock, and his solo stuff is pretty amazing as well.

Les Claypool's stuff is also very good.. As is Charles Migus.. Do you play bass yourself?

rock3 And also; intersting footnote: Check out Jaco Pastorious! He's a bassist I know.. Its just amazing though how he can produce so many sounds with a bass.. Its practically like listening to guitar! I love him!

xDSGx

xDSGx

He's great also. Bela Fleck and the Flecktones rock, and his solo stuff is pretty amazing as well.

Les Claypool's stuff is also very good.. As is Charles Migus.. Do you play bass yourself?

rock3 hell yeah bassists... i don't even need to say anything about jaco

personally i'll take oteil over victor any day (the man's songwriting skills are just NOT up to par) i've seen both play twice and oteil is on another level emotionally, but vic's chops are off the charts. the performance and song quality of the flecktones stuff can't touch oteil with aquarium resque unit or even the allman's.

anything by les claypool is great in my opinion, however not very shreddy - same for mingus...

billy sheehan anyone? check out talis or even some mr. big stuff like 'colorado bulldog'

guitar-wise has anyone mentioned guthrie govan yet? or if you're looking for more metal stuff check out marty friedman - his solo cd 'dragon's kiss' is fucking awesome and most of the stuff recorded with cacophony is pretty solid too. also quadlaser knows what he's talking about - check out shawn lane IMMEDIATELY

xDSGx

xDSGx

Yeah-I primarily play guitar, but I started on bass so I guess I pay more attention to bassists than the average listener.

rock3 And also; intersting footnote: Check out Jaco Pastorious! He's a bassist I know.. Its just amazing though how he can produce so many sounds with a bass.. Its practically like listening to guitar! I love him!

xDSGx

xDSGx

rock3 hell yeah bassists... i don't even need to say anything about jaco

personally i'll take oteil over victor any day (the man's songwriting skills are just NOT up to par) i've seen both play twice and oteil is on another level emotionally, but vic's chops are off the charts. the performance and song quality of the flecktones stuff can't touch oteil with aquarium resque unit or even the allman's.

anything by les claypool is great in my opinion, however not very shreddy - same for mingus...

billy sheehan anyone? check out talis or even some mr. big stuff like 'colorado bulldog'

guitar-wise has anyone mentioned guthrie govan yet? or if you're looking for more metal stuff check out marty friedman - his solo cd 'dragon's kiss' is fucking awesome and most of the stuff recorded with cacophony is pretty solid too. also quadlaser knows what he's talking about - check out shawn lane IMMEDIATELY

I'm going to see ARU the 28th-I can hardly wait. Have you heard Oteil and the Peacemakers? I saw them open for the Allmans and they were pretty amazing.

I've seen Shawn Lane mentioned in guitar mags over the years, but I never listened to him for some reason. I will definitely check him out. Marty Friedman was great on Megadeth's Rust in Peace, but I haven't heard his solo stuff-something else to check out.