Influences

DopeSickGirl

I was just listening to Rancid and realised that the entire reason I ever picked up a bass guitar was down to that Matt Freeman solo on Maxwell Murder.. It completely blew my mind.. I started playing and never stopped since.. Discovering many other amazing bass players..

I took up guitar a year earlier after hearing Jimi Hendrix - The Wind Cries Mary.. I never put it down since.. I'm not amazing or anything.. In fact I suck pretty much.. It just shocked me how much influence people can have on your life..

Anyone else ever had those moments? And who was it that inspired you to take up your instrument?

xDSGx

I was just listening to Rancid and realised that the entire reason I ever picked up a bass guitar was down to that Matt Freeman solo on Maxwell Murder.. It completely blew my mind.. I started playing and never stopped since.. Discovering many other amazing bass players..

I took up guitar a year earlier after hearing Jimi Hendrix - The Wind Cries Mary.. I never put it down since.. I'm not amazing or anything.. In fact I suck pretty much.. It just shocked me how much influence people can have on your life..

Anyone else ever had those moments? And who was it that inspired you to take up your instrument?

xDSGx

ur lucky, i figure like if i can figure out the theory end i could learn real quick but the shit jus dont sink in for me. but yeh, i started a year ago too n influenced to start by ol' jimi too. but i suck in that i cant play a single persons song, i cant read like...tabs n shit, basically understand chord diagrams n jus copy motherfuckers i see cuz im too embarassed to ask anywhere cept on here. influences in general.

btw rancid suck (dont take that bad :) )

Edited by frankwhite

I had to learn guitar (part of high school music course), but what got me really into it, I'm not sure. I've always listened to classic rock music, because my dad used to be a DJ. From a young age, I was listening to Skynyrd, Free, Bad Company and Rod Stewart. My favourite song when I was younger was 'Shooting Star' by Bad Company.

Well, I'm pretty much a new Gnr fan, been one for about a year now. The only music I ever really enjoyed before that was the Beatles. I never really had a musical identity. Until I started listening to Gnr. Slash is the reason I play guitar now. Gnr of course led to me listening tons and tons of other rock bands. Before Gnr I always tried to listen to what my friends and peers listened to which was rap and hip hop. I can't stand hip hop anymore. Thanks to Gnr I've been playing guitar for about 6 months. I love it.

Tbizzle

I just recently picked up bass guitar, and Duff's definitely been a big influence on what I want to learn. I've always loved the bassline for Rocket Queen, and Slash's part with the six-string bass on Right Next Door To Hell is sick. rock3 I've been studying basslines in songs a lot more because of that.

I just recently picked up bass guitar, and Duff's definitely been a big influence on what I want to learn. I've always loved the bassline for Rocket Queen, and Slash's part with the six-string bass on Right Next Door To Hell is sick. rock3 I've been studying basslines in songs a lot more because of that.

The bassline to Locomotive is really good if your interested in learning GNR stuff.

xDSGx

When I first heard Cliff Burton's bass solo Anesthesia I knew I had to play the bass. The a short time later I heard Led Zeppelin's The Ocean and learned to play guitar. I learned mostly from playing along with CD's and UYI's had just come out at the time so I played along with those a lot. My influences are tremendously diverse now, but the initial impetus was definitely hard rock/metal.

When i was like 11 i used to play guitar but i stopped. I picked it up again 2 years ago because i wanted to be David Gilmour and play Comfortably Numb.

Stevie Ray got me into the Blues, now its by far my favourite genre, though its such a huge genre its talking awhile to get through it all, but i'm loving the journey.

I recently have just discovered Bruce Springsteen a few months ago, and he has really, really, got me into songwriting and singing. I suck alot atm, but i'm really trying to get better at it. I just need to open myself up more.

i had a decision to make from classes to take at school, i was listenin that night to Keith Richards ' Losing My Touch' and i thought i wanna be just like him, so that was me started playing guitar, he is my main influence on guitar as i have been listenin to him for i can't remember how long.

I'm going to sound cliche and say Slash. The SCOM solo always made the hair on my neck stand, it's just so good. I'm not any good at playing but it's something I enjoy. Ever since listening to some GNR, I've gotten into Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, B.B. King and people of the like. So yeah, I guess they can be influences :huh:

I knew I wanted to play keyboards when I heard Johnnie Johnson for the first time. Just incredible. My dad used to listen to a lot of Elton John too, so his piano was also a large influence. On synth, I've never really had a certain influence since I sort of moved from piano to synth. Duran Duran's music, I'd say, inspired me in a way. Same with Talking Heads and to an extent Adam Ant. Even Trent Reznor in a way.

On drums, it was initially Keith Moon and Charlie Watts that made me want to buy a drum kit. Overall, I'd say my biggest influence currently is Ginger Baker, even if I struggle to create any compositions nearly as good as his (see my songs in musicians section).

On tabla, it's been rai artists, Gulfi (music from the Persian/Arabian Gulf) music, and Zakir Hussein. I'm still not at all good on this though.

On sax, I've just started, like a week ago. But I can say Cheb Khalid's music has been a large influence, along with Cheb Mami and other rai. Clarence "The Big Man" Clemons is also one of my favorites right now.]

On bass, which I don't really care to take too much time to learn, my favorites, and I guess influences are Flea and Jack Bruce.

On spanish/classical guitar, my biggest influence is easily John Williams, and I do think that I recreate some of his traits in the guitar parts I write.

On flamenco guitar my biggest influence is Paco de Lucia, just a tremendous player who's created some of the greatest songs ever.

On electric, I initially picked up a guitar thanks to Joe Perry and Aerosmith. Keith Richards and Marc Ford were also among my early influences. As I start to appreciate the Blues and softer music more I've started to view Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Hubert Sumlin, and J.J. Cale ads my greatest influences. Out of those, even though Eric is my favorite I'd say J.J. is the biggest and most noticable with my recent stuff. Having played rock for so long, the transition into calm bluesy jam music has been difficult, but I'm improving.