SMiLE- Brian Wilson

adnan

Really? I thought it was very good.

Yes. I think the songwriting is absolutely ingenious. Better than "Pet Sounds" I say.

Totally agree. In fact, Pet Sounds was pretty much the "lead-in" to Smile. The only thing I don't like about that album is that most of it was recorded recently. I like the feel of the original Pet Sounds, Smiley Smile, and the Good Vibrations sessions better. The songs are great, but the new, modern production takes away from the feel.

And before some newbie comes in here with the same old "Smile = teh Chineese DEMocracy... LOLZ11!" bullshit let me clarify....

Smile was originally intended to be released as a follow-up to Pet Sounds. Due to some personal issues, Brian Wilson scrapped the project, and decided to never release it. For 38 years, Smile was never intended to be heard. Chinese Democracy has been under perpetual delay. Chinese D has been promised to us, where as Smile never was.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
I think it's more fun than Pet Sounds but just as well written.

I also prefer Brian Wilson's band to the session musicians that worked on Pet Sounds.

I'm not going to agree or disagree with you on that point. But I always thought it was funny that Bebop legend Barney Kessel was on Pet Sounds.

I totally agree that it one of the best albums of all time. Initially I knew it was excellent, but as it grew on me as I really began to see the scope of Brian Wilson's vision. The complexity of the arrangements, from the vocal harmonies on down is nothing short of astonishing. Would it have been better if it had been completed and performed during the Beach Boys career? Possibly, but Brian Wilson was not emotinally capable of bringing it to fruition at that time, so we'll never know.

I suggest that everyone that is a serious music fan own it, and for those that do own it but don't quite see it as a masterpiece-listen some more.

• 3 weeks later...