Ron Thal aka Bumblefoot

KyleMac

Ive heard the story of how he got the name, i think his wife came up with it. But what does he refer to himself as? I assume this is not a buckethead situation where he was raised in a shoehive and was taken care of by foot-bees as a kid.

I assume the name sticks with him more because of the fact that he has a foot shaped guitar painted like a bumble bee, with wings.

Whereas buckethead would likely introduce himself to you as "buckethead" if you were to meet him (through a sock puppet of course), if you met Ron in a bar would he be more likely to introduce himself as Ron or Bumblefoot?

Thanks.

Edited by KyleMac

Ive heard the story of how he got the name, i think his wife came up with it. But what does he refer to himself as? I assume this is not a buckethead situation where he was raised in a shoehive and was taken care of by foot-bees as a kid.

I assume the name sticks with him more becuase of the fact that he has a foot shaped guitar painted like a bumble bee, with wings.

Whereas buckethead would likely introduce himself to you as "buckethead" if you were to meet him (through a sock puppet of course), if you met Ron in a bar would he be more likely to introduce himself as Ron or Bumblefoot?

Thanks.

Just call him Big Bird!

big_bird_doll_sesame_street_doll_200_75350.jpg

I assume the name sticks with him more becuase of the fact that he has a foot shaped guitar painted like a bumble bee, with wings.

Thanks.

would you call slash, "saul hudson"? :P

When I was lucky enough to meet him, I called him Ron then asked if that's what he liked to be called, and he said yeah. 'Yeah man, it's cool, it's cool'. Haha. :D

I think Bumblefoot is what he likes to be called when he's performing his solo stuff, in GNR and when you meet him casually I think he prefers Ron.

Thanks.

would you call slash, "saul hudson"? :P

Problem is, slash needs no introduction - i dont even know that he ever has to introduce himself.

Thanks.

Does it make anyone else break out in a rash to realize that this above statement refers to a member of Guns n' Roses? I mean - a "foot shaped guitar painted liek a bumble bee, with wings"? When did this saga reach Monty Python levels of comedic surrealism, anyway?

"Does it make anyone else break out in a rash to realize that this above statement refers to a member of Guns n' Roses? I mean - a "foot shaped guitar painted liek a bumble bee, with wings"? When did this saga reach Monty Python levels of comedic surrealism, anyway?"

Nope, Guns N' Roses is now made up of a band of hired guns in my view and they bring their past with them. This band was not together since day one, they didnt grow up together or play together in their teens like many bands with one image do. I thought Finck looked REALLY weird during the 2002 tour, now he looks more like he fits the original GN'R mold. Stinson still wears eccentric suits on stage. Everyone brings their own personality, there is not one image in this band... but its getting close.

Edited by KyleMac

Does it make anyone else break out in a rash to realize that this above statement refers to a member of Guns n' Roses?

no, jackass. have you heard his playing? listen to any track off any one of his solo cds. that should be enough to make you break out in a rash. add to that the fact that he mainly plays les pauls with gnr (even though any vigier ever built will outplay any gibson out of the factory since 1959) and you have a completely baseless comment.

on topic: i think he prefers ron and bumblefoot is a stage name of sorts.

Edited by bass71player

Does it make anyone else break out in a rash to realize that this above statement refers to a member of Guns n' Roses?

no, jackass. have you heard his playing? listen to any track off any one of his solo cds. that should be enough to make you break out in a rash. add to that the fact that he mainly plays les pauls with gnr (even though any vigier ever built will outplay any gibson out of the factory since 1959) and you have a completely baseless comment.

on topic: i think he prefers ron and bumblefoot is a stage name of sorts.

My point, pal, is that it seems every guitarist who has come into the "Slash" spot in this band needs to be a attached to some sort of gimmick/funny name, whether it be a dude in a KFC hat who only talks through his sock puppet, or a guy who's name sounds like a Lord of the Rings character and plays a bumblebee guitar.

Damn, I hate to say it - but it's all getting very "Spinal Tappish".

I would say "Let the Music Do The Talking"......but we're all still waiting on that, aren't we?