Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers and Bastards

nameless_girl

So Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers and Bastards is set to be released on November 20th in Europe and November 21st in the US... Just thought I'd inform everyone who doesn't know yet, seeing as it sounds like a real goldmine - a three-disc set conveniently divided into CDs with distinct themes, compiled of all sorts of songs - brand new, old, previously unreleased, covers, interpretations etc. Supposedly "Brawlers" is going to have more of his bluesy side, "Bawlers" more of the melancholy and "Bastards" the experimental. I'm in heaven. :wub:

Here's a cool article about it, with a little promo ^_^

I only own Blue valentine, i keep hearing Mule variations and Rain dogs are supposed to be amazing, care to deny or confirm these rumours?

I'd say you'll probably like them, although both have a different sound from Blue Valentine - Rain Dogs is basically very experimental, with Waits mixing up even more different sounds and opting for a more gravelly, poetic rendition of the lyrics. If you're into this sound, I'd also suggest Swordfishtrombones. Maybe get that one first, seeing as Rain Dogs is a bit of a follow up and shows you how the sound evolved. ^_^

And Mule Variations is amazing, although it's got more of a "compilation" quality than an "album" quality, if that makes sense. Also... I'm not quite sure why, but judging by what I know of your taste, I think you'd really like Alice. :unsure:

Let's not forget The Heart of Saturday Night. It's bluesier and more straightforward than most of the albums mentioned so far, but it was what originally turned me on to Waits and I still consider it a classic.

I kinda defied you NG and got Raindogs today. Its so fucking weird, my brother thought i was listening to The nightmare before christmas soundtrack :laugh:

I really like it tho, seems alot more varied than the jazzier sound of Blue valentines, got a bit of money this weekend so may get a few more of his albums when i go into town