Guitar Players: Need some help here...

guys I know next to nothing about guitars, but it is by far what I enjoy most in rock songs.

As far as the sound I love in particular I point you to these three clips:

Random guy doing nightrain outro, almost as good as Slash?!

I'm not too keen on Ron Thal's recent don't cry solos, the sound isn't as clean since he's playing rhythm and lead (I think?), but here in this vid the sound of his don't cry solo is beautiful, almost like someone plucking a harp... :o

http://youtube.com/watch?v=l-TbEnDtZx0

I love the guitar work in this song "Brothers in Arms" from Dire Straits. Marc Knopfler is a god. Love the way the guitar sounds...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3EgSWI0UDd0

I think out of those 3, the sound of bumble's guitar and Marc's are my favorite...

So what kind of guitar and equipment would I need to get a similar sound? What would be the price range? I want something obviously affordable but don't necessarily want to go the cheap way...if it means getting shoddy equipment...

A good humbucker equipped guitar (Les Paul, SG, Strat with Humbuckers etc), and a good quality TUBE amp (Marshall, Fender, Mesa etc).

Be prepared to fork out alot of dosh lol

If you buy good quality gear, youll get a good tone.

I have a custom made Strat with Humbuckers in it, it cost me AU$1500, thats alot less than a Gibson and IMHO sounds and plays alot better. I also bought a Marshall JTM 60 2nd hand for AU$650, it's an all Valve amp and sounds beautiful!

Best thing to do is talk to the people at your nearest good guitar shop, and to try out gear. Never buy gear on the spot, always go away and think about it though,

Edited by johnezz

If you're a beginner, i wouldn't splash out a load of money.

Obviously start with good quality kit, but as a beginner just make sure you get a decent good quality beginners setup. I don't mean to be rude or anything, but from personal experience, you probably won't be able to tell much difference between tone, and different guitars etc. I've been playing for a while now and as you develop your playing, you obviously do appreciate more expensive equipment.

Like johnezz said, go down to your local music shop and ask the people for advise, thats the best thing i think

Beginner, eh? Words of encouragement: don't give up. No matter what. You will suck to start off with. Everyone will think you suck. It's ok though. Don't expect to be able to just pick it up and go for it. So don't give up. It's hard to start off with and easy to get discouraged. You'll want to sound like your favorite artists, try to learn all of these songs that are hard to play (for beginners, some for masters even).

As far as tone....I'd just practice on my cheapy for a year or so until you get chord changes down and start to get a feel for playing. You will not be able to match the tone of those players you mentioned. With the right equipment, you may come close, but tone also has to do with the player as well. Everyone sounds different.

Ted Nugent told the story of how Van Halen was touring with him back when Van Halen just started and Ted plugged into Eddie's gear with Eddie's guitar and sounding nothing like him. Even with the same exact gear!

I have one of those amp modeling effects pedals--set me back $500 when I bought it. Those amp models don't really work for mimicking someone else's sound. You can get good sounds out of them, but it won't sound exaclty like any given guitar player's rig.

You have to remember, on the actual recordings, they could be using a combination of 5 guitars and 10 amps on only one song. The tone on the recording is also affected by the room they are playing in, the mics they are using, and the actual eq and mixing of the record. There is a lot that goes on in the studio that you won't see them do live. Slash is not as guilty of this as some, but even he still does it.

You might just want to learn to play for fun. In which case, I wouldn't spend a whole lot anyway. For a good setup, we're talking around at least $1200 between your guitar, amp, and an effects pedal. And that is the cheap rout. You can have a lot of fun with this though.

If you are serious, hold off buying expensive equipment until you are sure that you want to make the investment into learning. And when you think you are sure, study your butt off on what exact equipment you want to buy. Try as many products as you can. Read up on them and do your homework before you buy them. Read customer reviews.

Starting is the hardest part. To get good, you'll have to practice every single day for at least an hour a day for a year or so. But once you do learn, it's like riding a bike.

Best of luck to ya.

get a POD XT or something

MY mate has a Pod XT Live,

It's fucking awesome at what it does.

Yeah, they are good. Not something i'd have but i'm not a beginner. I have my guitar tone but if you want more than one of like to experiment. Buy one of them instead

They are great for studio work.

I agree, i have "my" tone too, and thats all i need, is 1 awesome tone.

What would you need to get the sound of these three videos? ALOT!

First of all, the sound is in your fingers. With the same equippment as Slash, Mark Knopfler or Eric Clapton you

will NOT sound like them. Most of the sound is all in your fingers. But the right equippment will help you alot. :)

Ok, on the first clip you postet nightrain. If you do want a Slash sound you need two tings.

A Gibson Les Paul with SD Alnico II pickups, and a Marshall 2555 ;) I got both, I still don't sound like Slash ;)

This costs alot if you're not very lucky like me and got the whole rig for almost nothing.

Anyway, the clip of Thal I won't comment because I hate him. But the keywords are Gibson and Marshall ;)

The Mark Knopfler clip is increadible, I just love it. 90 % if his sound is pure in his fingers, its just impossible

to sound like that. Im not 100% sure which amp Mark Knopfler use on that clip but it can sound like an Fender

Twin Reverb/Vibrulux or something, kranked.

The guitar he is playing on is a Pensa MK1.

the foot guitar has some sort of dimarzio pickups, if i remember. Those and high end seymour duncans are best (sh-1). i wish he'd play that solo without distortion more... :(

if you're buying a guitar for less than a grand, you MUST change the pickups to get killer tone. because they (cheap guitars) all come with muddy ass "duncan designed" pickups. of course the pickups won't do you any good if you're guitar is made of shitty wood (basically guitars under $500).

Yeah, they are good. Not something i'd have but i'm not a beginner. I have my guitar tone but if you want more than one of like to experiment. Buy one of them instead

I have the PodXT Live. It totally fucking rules.

I have the PodXT Live. It totally fucking rules.

It's versatility is its main strength,

You can go from a perfect clean tone from a Blackface, for a screaming lead tone from the Plexi lead setting.

They are modelled so well, well from the factory some are a little sucky, but if you tweak them you can get them pretty spot on.

Your average joe certainly wont be able to tell the difference.