Beginner Bass

ok so im looking to start playing bass. have been for a while.

now i dont like the shape of a lot of basses, so im not really looking at getting any Squire's or anything shaped like that. mostly im looking at getting an Epiphone EB-0, theyre cheap enough for me to afford right now. but im unsure about the shorter scale bass, and the fact that it doesnt have a bridge pickup.

Edit: im now looking at some ESP B50 basses....someone has to reply sometime :P

i neeeed help :):(:) thanks guys

Edited by FunkyMonk

Same here man, i don't like a lot of bass guitars mainly cos im a short ass 5'9 an they all look huge on me. But i'm investing in a Thunderbird pretty soon. Just get whatever bass you want man, u can always put a pick up in. I cant tell the difference in pickups for bass. Like, im using a squire at the moment and it's got 2 little ones in the middle...sounds ok to me, depends what amp you are using aswell

Same here man, i don't like a lot of bass guitars mainly cos im a short ass 5'9 an they all look huge on me. But i'm investing in a Thunderbird pretty soon. Just get whatever bass you want man, u can always put a pick up in. I cant tell the difference in pickups for bass. Like, im using a squire at the moment and it's got 2 little ones in the middle...sounds ok to me, depends what amp you are using aswell

cool thanks. yeah i guess new pickups is always an option :) but then theres the problem of the shorter scale. whatever, i think the b50 looks like a pretty good option.

thanks for your help :) not like anyone else was jumping in with advice :P

Edited by FunkyMonk

i would recommend before anything the ibanez jumpstart package... real cheap and it's real good stuff. i've been playing bass about 7 years now and have about 10 basses, and i still have that one. it's a good looking bass and the tones are pretty decent. it has a P/J pickup combo. i don't wanna spam or anything, but i work for a guitar store and i could send you a link if you want... PM me if you're interested, i may or may not be able to get a few bucks off for ya

i would recommend before anything the ibanez jumpstart package... real cheap and it's real good stuff. i've been playing bass about 7 years now and have about 10 basses, and i still have that one. it's a good looking bass and the tones are pretty decent. it has a P/J pickup combo. i don't wanna spam or anything, but i work for a guitar store and i could send you a link if you want... PM me if you're interested, i may or may not be able to get a few bucks off for ya

hey man thanks, ive just been looking around on the net and thinking about the Ibanez GSR200, it seems pretty good to me.

and i dunno about your special offer, unless it includes Australia then im not sure you can help me :P but thanks a heap for the offer.

ok so after a lot of searing i think ive narrowed it down.

I would either get a ESP Ltd B50, or an Ibanez GSR200, im leaning towards the Ibanez cause they are generally the same except the Ibanez has active pickups. they are about the same price, so the Ibanez seems like the good option.

Amps are a little tricky cause i dunno whether id just get a little practice amp, or a reasonably sized one...thinking about Amp #1 - 90watt or Amp #2 - 45watt. i figure that if i get a practice amp then if i ever get good enough to play with people, then id just get drowned out. but if i get a biger amp to start then i wont need to upgrade when i get better. but then theres the factor of the small chance that i wont want to play bass (which i dont think will happen). but then again, it might.

haha take your time answering this time guys :rolleyes::P :P

thanks if you do :)

It's simple, if you have the money, go bigger

you never know what will happen

your kid could pick it up, friends, nephews, anyone

and when the time comes, they will thank you for the extra power,

yeah always go bigger when you can. remember bass watts is not nearly the same as guitar watts. the general rule of thumb is you wanna go 3 to 1 when playing with a guitarist. if he has a 50 watt amp you wanna have 150-200 watts. so if you can get the 90 i would say get it... you're probably gonna need it :P

just coz you like mine man

dont get a tbird man. ive got one but they aint easy to play. theyre neck heavy. theyre great but not for a beginner

Edited by Big Boy Sixx

I started out on a simple Stagg bass.. Its a copy of a P-bass.. I still have it and love it! I jam on it.. But I have a BC Rich warlock for gigging.. I would NOT recommend one of them though.. Talk about fucking heavy man! And impossible to play sat down.. -_-

Looks and sounds sexy though! ^_^

xDSGx