Record Deals

there is a competition on once a year in dublin where the best bands play and all the irish record company talent scouts go there. the winners get a record deal but if your good enough try and enter.

i don't know anymore details but i think "shockwaves" sponsor it ;)

This is a must read for anyone in a band who has aspirations of getting "signed" (written by steve albini, producer of nirvana's in utero, among other tthings)

http://negativland.com/albini.html

Major labels are corporately run, quarterly profit motivated businesses. Gone are the days of "artist development" when the majors were owned by rich dudes who gave a shit about music, and would give bands a chance to reach their potentials.

Majors these days employ a "throw all the shit at the wall and see what sticks" model.

The average record sales for a major label "signed" band is about 1500 records (that's not a typo)

That's not to say you can't end up with a good deal with a major. Just watch what you sign, and hold out until you have enough of a following that you bring something worth bargaining for to the table.

Edited by angry anderson

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
This is a must read for anyone in a band who has aspirations of getting "signed" (written by steve albini, producer of nirvana's in utero, among other tthings)

Major labels are corporately run, quarterly profit motivated businesses. Gone are the days of "artist development" when the majors were owned by rich dudes who gave a shit about music, and would give bands a chance to reach their potentials.

Majors these days employ a "throw all the shit at the wall and see what sticks" model.

The average record sales for a major label "signed" band is about 1500 records (that's not a typo)

That's not to say you can't end up with a good deal with a major. Just watch what you sign, and hold out until you have enough of a following that you bring something worth bargaining for to the table.

Thanks for that.

I don't have any ambition of being signed. A minor local label showed some interest in signing us but we really aren't interested in music as a career.

dude, why the fuck not? u could be rich n famous n get blowjobs on command n have a bajillion people kissin ur ass n oceans full of stadiums worshipping u n tonsa money n not hafta go to work or listen to what any motherfucker says n...well, basically u could be like (in a detached way) axl! :lol:

I read that and I've read similar cases. I know people who've been signed and blown contracts. Taking huge advances on later cds that never sold. So... What the bitter x nirvana producer is saying, be careful. not to stay away from any major record label.

I think it's a good read still, but if your brain is working between all the gigging and the drugs you're taking, then you'll get out of it alive. :) Johnny Reznik in goo goo dolls was fucked over if I remember right. Lots of ppl have gotten bad deals, yeah for sure. But like you pointed out Mr. Anderson, a following is always a very good thing. in every aspect. Keep in mind that alot of band put out EPs and full length albums to a minimum cost. And I'd say a good contract with a band doing its job could push those numbers to favor the band. :)

my band Atomica are looking to make it big. Otherwise we're all fucked cos we don't do anything else haha. We just need a singer. London is the only place to have even a chance of making it these days if you play rock. Camden is UK's "sleaze port"

What happened to that kick ass singer? :D He had really cool voice.

my band Atomica are looking to make it big. Otherwise we're all fucked cos we don't do anything else haha. We just need a singer. London is the only place to have even a chance of making it these days if you play rock. Camden is UK's "sleaze port"

What happened to that kick ass singer? :D He had really cool voice.

Haha i know, he wanted to be a DJ or something? I don't know, he left before i joined! So we're still looking! The search continues

I don't have any ambition of being signed. A minor local label showed some interest in signing us but we really aren't interested in music as a career.

dude, why the fuck not? u could be rich n famous n get blowjobs on command n have a bajillion people kissin ur ass n oceans full of stadiums worshipping u n tonsa money n not hafta go to work or listen to what any motherfucker says n...well, basically u could be like (in a detached way) axl! :lol:

I don't think I want to get into it, for several reasons, actually partly because of what you said. I'm quite a laid back guy and also I have basically no willpower.

I wouldn't want to cheat on my wife/girlfriend (inevitable really when you have a bunch of girls ready to service you after a show), and I wouldn't want to get too deep into drug use.

I'd really rather be an English teacher than a rockstar. Seems weird, but that's just who I am.

I don't think I want to get into it, for several reasons, actually partly because of what you said. I'm quite a laid back guy and also I have basically no willpower.

I wouldn't want to cheat on my wife/girlfriend (inevitable really when you have a bunch of girls ready to service you after a show), and I wouldn't want to get too deep into drug use.

I'd really rather be an English teacher than a rockstar. Seems weird, but that's just who I am.

really?? i wanna get into John Belushi levels of drug use n fuckin wail n get laid n...well thats it really. im easily amused :lol:

I've been signed a couple times and I can tell you getting signed is the easy part. (well not really ) But getting the label to care and put its resorses to work for you is the hard part. Most labels are scared to invest time/mmoney/effort into anything thats not "time tested" and unfortunatly most bands don't have the resources to fund tours and promote effectively themselves.

This is the shittiest time ever to be a musician.

The key is to not expect anyone to blow you up - you have to work harder than the label does just to stay a float.

And yes being you will be broke being in a full time band unless you go Gold or platinum. and then depending on your deal you might still never see a dime.

Sorry If I bummed anyone out

uhm.. the other riff.. ain't that a bitch or something guitars and riffs are among the most used riffs in the world! :) still a cool song. the singer reminds me of dead old Freddie...

Edited by browser

Heh I'm the same. My aunt gave my old bands CD to a radio station nearby and they played us once, but we kinda gave up cause I didn't wanna be a rockstar.

Fuck man your band sounds really good, if i lived where you did i would try out for singer big time