Calgary show reviews

T.W.A.T.

I'll write a better one tomorrow; this is just a quick little thing I wrote Gillian who is attending the Edmonton show tomorrow.

Hey! I just got back from the show and it's 3:19 as of right now.

The show was amazing! Both Bach and Axl sang perfectly and had the crowd going nuts, and I mean going nuts.

I got to the Saddle Dome at quarter to eight and got inside at 8:06. The Suicide Girls were amazing (what? I enjoy that sort of thing) but went off fairly early in the night (8:40ish).

The doors were open when I got there, so I am not sure what time they opened. The line for general seating was HUGE! The line, at quarter to eight, for the floor wasn't bad at all, and my friends and I got through super fast.

I had guard rail when I first got there, but after the Suicide Girls some shitty band called Helmet came on and I got bored and went in search of beer. When I came back, just in time for Bach, it was hard to get close to the stage again. I did get within five feet of the stage, though. I remained there until GN'R went on. That's when everyone went nuts--there was so many fights and people shoving. I had the wind knocked out of me three times. The drunk people couldn't contain themselves. There were a few smaller girls (4-5") crying because they were getting crushed. People did settle down though after the fourth or fifth song and the rest of the concert was just about everyone singing along and have a good time.

Tip: bring water. Lines, at least here in Calgary, were nuts for beer and concessions (water, t-shirts, food, etc.). My friend and I waited over 40 minutes in an ATM line just for beer money.

Anyways, the concert was fucking awesome! They played a everything but T.W.A.T. and Catcher in the Rye from the leaks we heard. People loved the new stuff--absolutely loved it! I was really disappointed with not hearing T.W.A.T. and all though...since it is my favorite song.

On a side note...on my way to the concert I saw Melissa (XsafetypinzX). Man I hate the bitch. Yay...I vented!

Off to bed! Talk to ya tomorrow!

VERY Mediocore show.

I dunno, maybe it's the butchering of all the musical parts, the fact that I was dead tired and I was actually waiting for the concert to end instead of wanting it to keep going, Robins horrible attempt at music during his solo where he just ran around and played what seemed like completly random, horribly out of key, scattered notes or dizzy's stupid ass, long ass, snoozefest of a solo but something really ruined this concert for me.

Also, why was Axl so like... Boring?

He didn't connect with the audience at all. He just played each song after one another with hardly any talking to the audience, as opposed to Baz who kept reminding us where in Calgary after almost every song. It just felt soo unintimate.

Overall I was really dissapointed with the show and I don't think I was the only one, what started off as packed ass, sold-out 'dome, at the end was more the half empty. Sure it was late and people had to wake up the next morning but if the show was decent they would've stayed. This is even more obvious by the fact that the highest amount of people leaving was during the (many) low points of the show.

Good Parts:

- Rons Solo (Almost all of Don't Cry)

- Bubbles

- My Michelle, Welcome To The Jungle, Paradise City

Edited by da_pope

I had two extra tickets to the show, but managed to sell one of my extra floor tickets. I sold it at cost even though the guy tried to give me more, but the smile on his face and the monster hug he gave me was worth it. I knew he'd enjoy the cost that much more. Eating the price of one ticket didn't get me down, the show was pretty awesome.

The Suicide Girls were pretty entertaining, kudos to the flame-blazing hula hoop dancer. She was good.

Baz got us rocking and was definitely a crowd pleaser. Though the seats were approx. 3/4 full when he took the stage, he made it sound like the stadium was filled to the rafters. It was a good thing he was there to open, to keep us excited and pumped as the night grew late.

I was skeptical if it really was a sold-out show until the final set when the spotlights waved back and forth across the floor and the stands. People appeared out of nowhere. There was a dull roar of anticipation from the crowd until you heard that all-so-familiar voice scream out, "Do you know where you are?!!!!!!!!!!!!" I was on my feet with the rest of the crowd, fists pumping the air and screaming my response. Unfortunately, they were having some sound problems and we couldn't hear Axl as well as we would have liked during Welcome to the Jungle, but it was obvious he was giving it his all. That didn't stop us from enjoying it any less.

I was impressed how he patiently stopped their performance to have lights directed to the mosh pit so security could help people getting squashed against the railing. His concern was genuine, which made us want him even more!

There was a lot of dry eyes around me when Axl blew us away with November Rain lol rock3 I was completely surrounded by people in party mode. The lighter show surrounding me was just as amazing as the light show on stage as it cascaded sparks of rain all around Axl.

Duet highlights for me: Baz and Axl did more than impress us with My Michelle! Bubbles and Axl with Liquor and Whores lmao. It was great... when Bubbles asked the crowd, "Do you know where you are?" His voice cracked as if he was going through puberty again. Too funny and adorable. Ya gotta love him.

People who attended knew it wasn't the original GnR; it would have been Oh so nice to have Slash, Izzy..., but we got our money's worth with Axl backed by Tommy Stinson, Robin Finck, Richard, Ron and Bobby ummm, who am I forgetting? I punked out to Use Your Illusion for the drive home, by the time I got back to town it was after 4:00 AM. I was at work at 9:00 AM, tired yet pleased and I'd do it again.

i got there at 5;30ish and waited outside until seven, and if you were there i was one of the idiots with no jacket on, so by the time they finally let us in i couldnt feel my arms. my friend and me some how managed to get the front on the floor, and we stayed there the whole night. i managed to sneak in my camera and i have a few photos, none are very good quality and i didnt even get everyone becasue the security guard caught me and said if i took more pictures he would take it away.

fortus seemed to be on our side most of the time (left of the stage) and it seemedd like i made eye contact a few times, then he threw out a t-shirt and i caught it rock3

anyways, the whole show was fucking amazing. i sang to everysong, and by the end of the night i had no voice and i stilll cannot hear out of my left ear.

i thought it was pretty wicked when bumblefoot came on to the floor near the end, i touched his hand :heart:

then at the end after they went and bowed, he pointed at me (well at least thats what i think/like to think) and threw his water bottle and i caught it

heres some of the better pics

img3187sr0.jpg

img3191ya7.jpg

img3193sy7.jpg

IMG_3206.jpg

IMG_3204.jpg

IMG_3202.jpg

IMG_3198.jpg

IMG_3197.jpg

IMG_3235.jpg

IMG_3222.jpg

and 3 more:

IMG_3220.jpg

IMG_3216.jpg

IMG_3210.jpg

Edited by iluvgnr

SHIT! you were where I was, except on the opposite side of the stage. I was on the right, in almost exactly the same spot as you.

And I think I saw you outside in the lineup. You were with two other girls who didn't have jackets on right? I was about 20 people behind you in the lineup. What the fuck were you thinking?! :huh:

Edited by adnan

The security guys let us keep our jackets on the floor on the other side of the railing for a dollar.

I paid 4 dollars for a bottle of water... best 4 dollars I ever spent.

Water, man...could I have used some of that last night.

yeah that woulda been me.

i knew i was gonna be cold (and i was), but i didnt want to have to bring my jacket inside and carry it around during the concert.

Ha, I was maybe five/six people behind you.

Did anyone else notice Beta dancing on the right hand side of the stage last night? She rocks! :lol:

Wow. There must be a huge differance of quality when you're on the floor as oppose to being in the stands. Cause my review is the only negitive one in this thread.

well I have already seen them on this tour and will be there 13th +15th and the reason nnone has commented on your review is cause you are so full of shit. If you dont want to like something, you can convince yourself that it isnt good, and it may ruin it for you. I think that is what happened. Noone is gonna buy that review, and by the way, Slash is no longer in the band, get over it or you will never enjoy the new band. I hope you do, cause you are missing out.

FUCK we were close to each other last night...

Yeah I noticed Beta!

Ha! I must of been really close to you while GN'R was playing I was so close to the stage on the right side.

I was five/six people behind the t-shirt guy outside too. Funny!

Anyways, great fucking concert! Was a lot of fun.

VERY Mediocore show.

I dunno, maybe it's the butchering of all the musical parts, the fact that I was dead tired and I was actually waiting for the concert to end instead of wanting it to keep going, Robins horrible attempt at music during his solo where he just ran around and played what seemed like completly random, horribly out of key, scattered notes or dizzy's stupid ass, long ass, snoozefest of a solo but something really ruined this concert for me.

@da_pope: So that was you sitting behind me in the stands? The guy who kept hitting me when I stood along with everyone else in the stands when GNR played. Well might of been or not, but that asshole behind me sure reminds me of you. I had third row seats, and was literally 3 meters away from the right corner of the stage, almost as close as the front of the standing area (pretty fucking good seats for $90 tickets). Best concert I have been to in a very long time.

SG was pretty hot, and Bach was a great opening act. Axl didn't look a year older then thirty (well maybe a couple), and his voice was still amazing. As for a review, the reviews above sum it up quite well. Keep rocking with GNR! rock3

Wow. There must be a huge differance of quality when you're on the floor as oppose to being in the stands. Cause my review is the only negitive one in this thread.

well I have already seen them on this tour and will be there 13th +15th and the reason nnone has commented on your review is cause you are so full of shit. If you dont want to like something, you can convince yourself that it isnt good, and it may ruin it for you. I think that is what happened. Noone is gonna buy that review, and by the way, Slash is no longer in the band, get over it or you will never enjoy the new band. I hope you do, cause you are missing out.

Haha, do you think I would spend $90 on something I'm planning to not like?

I'm not the only one who wasn't into the show either, the whole back of the first level was the same. Just cause I think Robin was crap doesn't mean anything besides I think he played really fucking shitty. I'm not anti-nugnr like you think. I'm a Slash fan, yes, but Axl is up there in my books aswell.

It was just a bad show from my prespective. But hey, maybe thats just the vibe you get when people are SLEEPING at a rock show.

Edited by da_pope

Seriously i was amazed to say the least.

I missed the S-Girls show, and Helmet was nothing special.

Once Baz came on stage you could tell it was a good crowd, he was great. The highlight of his act was I remeber you, and when he took a puff ;) .

Guns were amazing, Axl didnt talk too much, and seemed to run off stage quite a bit, but it was when he wasnt singing.

His voice was awesome, and all of the guitar parts in everything were awesome, Bumblefoot's Canadian anthem solo was awesome!

Hey if you're the guy who was sitting next to me, in section 226 pm me or something haha, you started up the "G N' R" chant, then we started up the guns n roses chant, kicked ass man :shades: , lol "I should've brought a big fatty"

that was awesome :lol:

peace out everybody

Ha, I was maybe five/six people behind you.

Do you mean on floor or in the lineup? She was in the lineup around 6. And yeah, we were pretty close... Were you by any chance wearing a Rolling Stones tuque? I'm wondering if you're the guy I describe here:

"Then it goes into Better, which was greeted with quite a few cheers, suggesting that there were many downloading motherfuckers in the building. I was surprised when a guy a couple of people to my right knew every single lyric (not just to Better, to EVERY new song), more than I do. I don't think he was a member of any forums. The applause at the end was good. Possibly the best received out of all the new songs."

Sjakelen: A couple of people have said it was that empty. I'd say it was still 90-95% full. I don't think there were more than a thousand free seats.

Edited by adnan