Profesional Recording Software

To all of you professional/amateur recoders out there...

my band and I are trying to record some material on PC, and want to manage or edit the recorded audio, to make it sound nice...l :P

What software do you recommend to do this? I've been looking but every software I've found seems to be too simple... I need something pretty "complete" or more professional given the kind of recordings we wanna do.

Oh!... and what soundboard do you recommend?

Thanx in advance!!!! :kiss:

man, if you want something easy to use go download Kristal Audio Engine. it's free and it's really good beginner software. the good stuff is really expensive.

for soundboards i'd recommend Mackie if you're gonna spend some $$$. otherwise Behringer make good stuff that's affordable. you could also get an interface for the pc where you can plug in multiple XLR and 1/4" jacks.

Edited by artfromtex

I have posted four thousands comments regarding this subject. I advise you to use the FUCKING SEARCH function!!!!

and Krystal audio can piss on my shoes. Get Cubase LE if you don´t wanna spend a fortune. Or even use Garageband if you got a mac.

If you opt for the freeware you are never gonna learn it the right way.

I have posted four thousands comments regarding this subject. I advise you to use the FUCKING SEARCH function!!!!

and Krystal audio can piss on my shoes . Get Cubase LE if you don´t wanna spend a fortune. Or even use Garageband if you got a mac.

But you only have 100-odd posts...

And that would make your shoes smell

garage band is ok, but still flawed. never used Cubase. But If I was you is would save money for studio time. my band recorded on a laptop and it was ok, but our studio stuff was far superior and we rerecorded must of the stuff anyway, and recieved way more attention. Our Studio demos gave us lots of opportunities, and have played in many bars and such since.

and Krystal audio can piss on my shoes . Get Cubase LE if you don´t wanna spend a fortune. Or even use Garageband if you got a mac.

1. you are an idiot!

2. you are an idiot!!!

3. you don't know what you are talking about, so why don't keep ur smartass mouth ontopic??

4. I've been around for a LONG time. just not under this fucked up nick, 'cus some smuck decided to call me out as a racist when I shared my views on a certain group of people.

garage band is ok, but still flawed. never used Cubase. But If I was you is would save money for studio time. my band recorded on a laptop and it was ok, but our studio stuff was far superior and we rerecorded must of the stuff anyway, and recieved way more attention. Our Studio demos gave us lots of opportunities, and have played in many bars and such since.

Flawed for what? It depends on what you wanna use it for! it's like saying a pickup truck is flawed, just because it's a pickup truck. When you picture a Ferrari down the curvy roads of Naples.

by reading your post I sense a certain stinch of ignorance. Yeah a studio is better for someone who doesn't know how to operate a DAW. And now you're prolly scratching your head and asking yourself what tha fuck a DAW is, well... DAW = Digital Audio Workstation. Also known as Garageband, Cubase, Pro Tools....

But knowing you had to pay for studio because you couldn't get your sound together just tells me you haven't tried hard enough, or just don't care about engineering and mixing your own fucking music. Which is OK!!! but don't give other people advise on what to do, or NOT to do....

So here's MY advise for you! get PROPER gear, and a PROPER recording location. Get a crash course in miking the drums and guitar cabs, DI the bass and record on click. Make sure to stay away from Digidesigns 002R shitbox... because it has crap converters and crap preamps.

Logic and Cubase are both great DAWs, there are others such as Sequoia and DP5... but I don't know anything about them, though they are supposed to be good. even Sonar by Sony.

Logic 7 Pro Edu is aprox 250 bucks

Cubase 4 Studio Edu is aprox 250 bucks

Apogee and RME have killer converters, prices range from 1000-2000++ dollars.

Apogee's box has 4 good preamps, the RME FireFace 800 DOES NOT!!

So you'd need pre-amps enough to record whatever you want to record simultaniously. Or you can do it by click and add on layers as you go. mikes for drums are about 2 grand, mike and vocal mikes around 2000 bucks. kickass preamps are around 5-6000 dollars. And you end up using 10-15 grand

sound-proofing and sound treatment is around 5-10k and monitors should be 35% of your budget.

so say it's 50k... that's where you are gonna be when it's built and ready to use. Keep in mind you need an engineer to run the show if you don't know how to.

Now here's the fun part, a brilliant engineer and a good musician could get better results on gear worth 1000 dollars. Even though you have a 50k newly built studio. 'cus in reality, what it boils down to, is, shit in = shit out....

so seriously, just get Logic 7 or Cubase 4, familiarize yourself with the program. Learn how to use samples, how to combine samples and computerbased drummachines with your own music. when you learn it, cutting demos will be a lot faster, and efficient. it enables you to try out different things without having the drummer playing 10000 different styles and grooves. it also lets you get the arrangements down tighter.

All you really need is a DAW such as Cubase 4 or Logic, and a 3-400 dollar soundcard. If you want better audio quality you need a betterpreamp and a better soundcard. that can end up around 1500 dollars. The cool thing though is that when you record your guitars clean, you can add amp-simulators to the signal and play around with different guitar sounds/amps. The bass will sound better than a bass cab miked by an amateur. And it will give the singer time to practice the songs till he nails them on and on. This will cut down studio cost. You can bring your project to a studio and just improve the parts in the studio that you didn't like, or didn't manage to figure out how you had it planned in your head.

it's very dumb to say that a studio is better, studiotime is expensive. And a modern musician needs to know how to operate a DAW to cut songs. because demos are only getting better and better. WE ARE NOT IN THE 80ies ANYMORE!!!!

1. you are an idiot!

2. you are an idiot!!!

3. you don't know what you are talking about, so why don't keep ur smartass mouth ontopic??

4. I've been around for a LONG time. just not under this fucked up nick, 'cus some smuck decided to call me out as a racist when I shared my views on a certain group of people.

You seem to have listed point 1. you are an idiot under point 2 as well. Was there an error?