K-os

Guest Metatron

Guest Jack_the_ripper

may I also add that he has very intelligent lyrics. Unlike anything I've seen in hip-hop before, here's an example:

'Love Song' lyrics by K-OS

This is not a love song

It's a sonnet

Damn if feels good to have people up on it but

I'm just a fool playing with the masters tools

Learning how to break the rules of this record company pool

Hallucination - I see with my eyes

But my heart's telling me lies

Why do I fantasize?

Why am I telling lies to the people from the stage

Pretending it's all good when inside it's fire and rage

Cause I can't understand how a man lives off the life of another man

Trying to pimp the universe - that's a joke

I stay rocking the boat down on my last note

It's murder she wrote

Assassination vocabulary

I see your termination is heavily necessary

I should have known - they do it for funds alone

I do it to break the walls if I fell off then let me know people

CHORUS

It's funny how life can go

First you ride high then you might lay low

Don't get high off your own supply

Someone said first before a four comes five

This is my message to the world

Just trying to reach every boy and girl

Not trying to say if it's right or wrong

This is not a love song

Liberal optometrists with 20/20 vision

Are serving rounds like my granny used to serve provisions

Chaotical amneotical fluid

The rap joint is fluent with the art of onomatopoeia

Mans an invisible microscopic topic dropper

When I was a kid I wanted rollerskates and a bike chopper

But alas, pop, pop never thought to keep me in style

Thats why I'm schizophrenic now

So God bless the child that has his own

The harvest we reap is what we sow

Chrome microphone - shoot it

There was a dome of computer digital clones that could be mixed for lots of pistones

saying a style's their own when they bite like Mike Furounsville

The sounds ill

Relationship is a mirror

That you see yourself up in and the picture is clearer

CHORUS

It's easy not to care what people say

It's harder to pretend and try

Cause they can only love you from yesterday

I'm looking at the now they pose high

I'm just a man who's walking

They stand around and keep talking

They tried to clip my wings

But wisdom fills so many things

Say it again

I'm just a man who's walking

They stand around and keep talking

They tried to clip my wings

But wisdom fills so many things

It's funny how life can go

Don't get high off your own supply

This is my message to the world...

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
K-os pulled off what outkast tried to pull off and failed.

This is where I stop giving this thread any respect.

Failed? As in won grammys?

Guest Jack_the_ripper

lets not forget the beatles never received a single grammy, can we really respect such an institution? anyways, what I'm trying to say is outkast tried to revolutionize hip-hop, and in my opinion they failed, but K-os... he just brings extremely intelligent lyrics, and incredible beats... I've never heard anything quite like this before.

lets not forget the beatles never received a single grammy, can we really respect such an institution? anyways, what I'm trying to say is outkast tried to revolutionize hip-hop, and in my opinion they failed, but K-os... he just brings extremely intelligent lyrics, and incredible beats... I've never heard anything quite like this before.

Speakerboxxx/The Love Below is the best and most innovative album of this century, you obviously haven't listened to it, do so for your own good.

Battle of the pompous twats.

Who wins? You decide.

Thank you for your loads of sarcasm that simply enrich all debates.

Edited by Ohdistortedsmile1789

personally, i hate all this "droppin knowledge" kinda appeased hip hop cuz it totally takes away the edge people like rakim (from like, 98/99 was it when he made that album the 9th letter or somethin???) it just...its really tame, outkast, talib kweli/DJ Hi Tek outkast and all that shit, i dont like it, its not edgy, it doesnt have that bite to it. im pretty minimalist in terms of the beats i GENERALLY like, pretty RZA type stuff, winter warz or um, Shook Ones - Mobb Deep, If I Die Tonight - 2Pac and when they just get cold on motherfuckers, straight out rhymin, not this chamillionaire, ridin dirty bullshit, y'know, that talent, that big L biggie smalls, GZA, Eminem, Punisher type fuckin lyrical attack type shit. music is at its best when its passionate. and hip hop is passionate in its anger (whether righteous or not) or in its passion for rhymin and expanding that as an art form, thats why i like that typa shit and not so much the whole bill cosby college boy palletable hip hop. hip hop tends to get complacent when its all about riches and bitches and even worse, the middle of the road shit where people just try n be like...sensible for the sake of projecting an image. i find that to be very slack and pretencious.

Edited by frankwhite

All I can say is that neither of you could have ever really listened to Outkast. Not only is Andre 3000 probably the best MC alive (Big Boi not far behind either), but he's tried his hand at just about every style you could imagine, and succeeded. He's a great singer, producer, and his guitar playing is also getting very good. In terms of "edginess", who else would have had the nerve, having come out of the most stock, mundane Rap scene there is (Dirty South), to make albums exploding with Rock, Jazz, and Techno? They are true artists and are going to take their art as far as they do so please, even if that leaves former contemporaries such as Lil' Jon completely behind. Speakerboxxx/The Love Below is a masterpiece, just pick it up sometime and get into it. Minimalism? On one of the few tracks he raps on, Andre goes about seven minutes with no chorus and a beat that's certainly simpler than most of RZA's or Havoc's. More Pop tracks like "Behold a Lady" and "Pink and Blue" are very minimal as well. This whole "dropping knowledge" school you talk about, not Outkast. Those cats spend more time talking about "dropping knowledge" than doing it, and I agree with you that it's bullshit. Andre and Antwan make songs about reality, love, life and death. And even on their last album, which hasn't been very successful, they made music in new and sometimes unbelievable ways. "Morris Brown" is a Rap song with a Soul chorus, all driven by a marching band. I still can't get over this "failed" thing. Are you serious? As a Rap group, coming out of Atlanta with that pimp kind of mentality, ten years later having timeless, massive pop hits? Covering something close to the entire spectrum of American music? Some failure. Outkast are the Beatles of our time, and it's a shame if you don't know it because you are missing out.

Guest Jack_the_ripper
All I can say is that neither of you could have ever really listened to Outkast. Not only is Andre 3000 probably the best MC alive (Big Boi not far behind either), but he's tried his hand at just about every style you could imagine, and succeeded. He's a great singer, producer, and his guitar playing is also getting very good. In terms of "edginess", who else would have had the nerve, having come out of the most stock, mundane Rap scene there is (Dirty South), to make albums exploding with Rock, Jazz, and Techno? They are true artists and are going to take their art as far as they do so please, even if that leaves former contemporaries such as Lil' Jon completely behind. Speakerboxxx/The Love Below is a masterpiece, just pick it up sometime and get into it. Minimalism? On one of the few tracks he raps on, Andre goes about seven minutes with no chorus and a beat that's certainly simpler than most of RZA's or Havoc's. More Pop tracks like "Behold a Lady" and "Pink and Blue" are very minimal as well. This whole "dropping knowledge" school you talk about, not Outkast. Those cats spend more time talking about "dropping knowledge" than doing it, and I agree with you that it's bullshit. Andre and Antwan make songs about reality, love, life and death. And even on their last album, which hasn't been very successful, they made music in new and sometimes unbelievable ways. "Morris Brown" is a Rap song with a Soul chorus, all driven by a marching band. I still can't get over this "failed" thing. Are you serious? As a Rap group, coming out of Atlanta with that pimp kind of mentality, ten years later having timeless, massive pop hits? Covering something close to the entire spectrum of American music? Some failure. Outkast are the Beatles of our time, and it's a shame if you don't know it because you are missing out.

I can respect what outkast has done.. I just think Speakerboxxx/The Love Below has always been an overhyped album. I've heard this album, and it left me with a bitter taste on my mouth.

Also listen to a song like hey ya, then listen to sunday morning, there's a definite comparison that can be made.