holding plectrums

apparently i'm holding my plectrum wrong and its holding me back when i'm playing quicker stuff, i've been told that i'm using too much of the plectrum to hit the strings. i tried holding my plectrum at a different angle which helps me play better but i'm finding it hard to keep a hold of my plectrum. can anyone help me?

apparently i'm holding my plectrum wrong and its holding me back when i'm playing quicker stuff, i've been told that i'm using too much of the plectrum to hit the strings. i tried holding my plectrum at a different angle which helps me play better but i'm finding it hard to keep a hold of my plectrum. can anyone help me?

I cant help with ur problem, but i hold my plectrum / pick weird, cuz i hold mine with 2 fingers and a thumb, instead of a thumb and one finger like i have seen most guitarists play like. I only realised about a year after i 1st started learning, but trying to learn how to hold the pick in a different way is really hard for me and felt like i was learning guitar all over agen.... so now i just carry on playing it the way i always have... i have no idea whether this is holding me back or not TBH.

I cant help with ur problem, but i hold my plectrum / pick weird, cuz i hold mine with 2 fingers and a thumb, instead of a thumb and one finger like i have seen most guitarists play like. I only realised about a year after i 1st started learning, but trying to learn how to hold the pick in a different way is really hard for me and felt like i was learning guitar all over agen.... so now i just carry on playing it the way i always have... i have no idea whether this is holding me back or not TBH.

I think it probably is holding you back. I did exactly the same as you (learn holding it with 2 fingers and a thumb) and you're right, it did feel like starting learning guitar all over again when you learn the right way, but i'd say its worth the initial few months getting comfortable with it so in the long run you don't get tired really quickly if you're playing for a long time. 'cause thats what would happen.

I think it probably is holding you back. I did exactly the same as you (learn holding it with 2 fingers and a thumb) and you're right, it did feel like starting learning guitar all over again when you learn the right way, but i'd say its worth the initial few months getting comfortable with it so in the long run you don't get tired really quickly if you're playing for a long time. 'cause thats what would happen.

So learning with just one finger and a thumb would make me a whole lot quicker??? with practice obviously... ive been playin 2 years and i do feel i shud be quicker than i am after 2 years, after watching ppl on youtube etc who hav only been playing as long as me. And yeah, my hand feels dead after playing the outro to paradise city (which i cant do as quick as slash, but it sounds ok) and then going into my michelle after it, my hand cud barely cope.... maybe this holding the pick thing is the key.

Edited by Slash Guitarist

Wow, thanks guys. I'm playing the guitar now for about one month and I now also realised I was holding it with two fingers. Good I found out now, that I shouldn't do so. ;)

2 Fingers and a thumb is standard for rhythm players.

I tend to switch between one and two fingers on the pick. Generally play with two on bass.

The best way is to start "leading" the pick with the pointing finger.

I hav been tryin to do it with 1 finger and thumb since i read this thread and i can do the lead no problem, but i really struggle to keep hold of the pick when i do rhythm... so im guessing thts why 2 fingers and thumb is standard for rhythm.

It's no such thing as a correct way to hold a pick. Just do whats feels right.

Of course not like there's no correct way to play guitar or hold it.. but there are ways that allow you more reachability and speed.

I hold mine between thumb and index finger.

Of course not like there's no correct way to play guitar or hold it.. but there are ways that allow you more reachability and speed.

I hold mine between thumb and index finger.

Is that quicker than, thumb, middle finger and index finger ???

If you have any interest i playing fast, and accurate I would recommend holding it the way paul gilbert holds his (I do it now) and it works great, one sec, I'll find the video for it.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure this is it

Hmm, interesting, have to try this. ;)

Well, there is really.

You can do another way, but it limits you in speed, quickly becoming tired, range of ways you pick (eg pinched harmonics to name one) and there are a lot of ways.

It just comes down to how seriously someone takes playing the guitar. Simple.