Charley Patton

frankwhite

Rumor has it his voice could carry 500 yards without amplification. the quality of the only recordings i can find is kind of crappy but jesus lord could he put a song across. i am totally stuck on "some these days i'll be gone" at the moment and i've only the one album of his which is like a 3 cd set, one of those 'the definitive' ones but it totally blows me away everytime i listen to it. the old crackly recording gives it a touch that borders on the sinister almost. i can't overstate how powerful his music comes across, just felt the need to share this and wholeheartedly reccomend to any and everyone this immense artist. its like a captured distilled document of a lost time, a lost time that, the more i get into this kind of music that i begin to grasp how pivotal it is to all the music that followed.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

It isn't easy to get into Patton. The quality of his recordings is even worse than that of most of his peers, but that's just one obstacle. He was the father of the whole damn thing, and you can hear it. If you want to talk about "earthy", that's Charley Patton. He might sound plain initially when compared with Skip James, Robert Johnson, or even Son House, and his voice doesn't sound like anything you've heard in your life. He's disarming. My mother doesn't like to hear him playing around the house, it's just too much to try and live around. But if you really listen to Patton enough, it's so rewarding. You'll soon realized how talented he was, how diverse his repertoire was, what kind of a guitar player he was, and you'll really begin to see how pretty much everyone sprouted out of him. Robert Johnson gets a lot of talk, but Charley Patton is mythical. He was 5''5' and 135 pounds, could eat and drink more than anyone, and sang louder too. He did the kind of theatrical shit that made Hendrix famous back in the '20s. In some ways, he was the original Rock star, he really packed 'em in back then. He dazed Howlin' Wolf and inspired him to play guitar as a kid. I could talk about Charley Patton all day.