folky blues....

M_B

so i'm guessing ODS could help me here, i wanna download some folk type bluesy stuff...i only really know about leadbelly, so where can i go from here?

recomendations plzzz

:)

Blind Lemon Jefferson and Robert Johnson are well worth checking out.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

The original delta blues men are usually pared down to a trio. That trio includes Charley Patton, the foremost practitioner of the blues at that time and the music's first real star, the always unique and harrowing Skip James, and Son House, who is well known for his popular resurgence during the folk revival of the 1960s. Favorites are always a matter of opinion, and each of these men possessed very distinctive sounds. When dealing with the recordings of each man for Paramount records, you are going to encounter very low fidelity. Sometimes it can be very difficult to access the music because of this. Son House and Skip James both have clearer recordings from the 1960s, but they aren't nearly as powerful. Although those three started the thing off for the most part, two other men brought the music to a higher level. Blind Lemon Jefferson was a Texan, and played in a style much different from the delta players. Robert Johnson drew on the influences of previous delta blues stars in order to create what I would consider to be the greatest delta blues, his Complete Recordings are a must. I should also mention some Piedmont blues artists. Piedmont blues comes from the Piedmont region of Georgia. It's quite a different style also and I heartily recommend a title from Blind Willie McTell entitled Atlanta Twelve String, it's very diverse and the playing and singing is awe inspiring. Those tracks were cut in 1949 for Atlantic records, and the fidelity is very high. Their are many practitioners of the down home, acoustic, deep, and delta blues style around today, but very few of them can match the intensity of the originals. One man who does match the classics is Alvin Youngblood Hart, who's debut album, Big Mama's Door, is about as good as blues gets. It's really a huge genre, and most of the major artists have very different personalities, so read up and see who you think you'll relate to best.

The original delta blues men are usually pared down to a trio. That trio includes Charley Patton, the foremost practitioner of the blues at that time and the music's first real star, the always unique and harrowing Skip James, and Son House, who is well known for his popular resurgence during the folk revival of the 1960s. Favorites are always a matter of opinion, and each of these men possessed very distinctive sounds. When dealing with the recordings of each man for Paramount records, you are going to encounter very low fidelity. Sometimes it can be very difficult to access the music because of this. Son House and Skip James both have clearer recordings from the 1960s, but they aren't nearly as powerful. Although those three started the thing off for the most part, two other men brought the music to a higher level. Blind Lemon Jefferson was a Texan, and played in a style much different from the delta players. Robert Johnson drew on the influences of previous delta blues stars in order to create what I would consider to be the greatest delta blues, his Complete Recordings are a must. I should also mention some Piedmont blues artists. Piedmont blues comes from the Piedmont region of Georgia. It's quite a different style also and I heartily recommend a title from Blind Willie McTell entitled Atlanta Twelve String, it's very diverse and the playing and singing is awe inspiring. Those tracks were cut in 1949 for Atlantic records, and the fidelity is very high. Their are many practitioners of the down home, acoustic, deep, and delta blues style around today, but very few of them can match the intensity of the originals. One man who does match the classics is Alvin Youngblood Hart, who's debut album, Big Mama's Door, is about as good as blues gets. It's really a huge genre, and most of the major artists have very different personalities, so read up and see who you think you'll relate to best.

I'm impressed. Give allmusic.com a ring. Ask for a job.

I've been playing the blues for almost ten years, and I've never been averse to the acquisition of knowledge that's usually useless. :lol: I know the music that I love.

I've been playing the blues for almost ten years, and I've never been averse to the acquisition of knowledge that's usually useless. :lol: I know the music that I love.

There is no useless knowledge. It's nice to see people be passionate about something too.

There is no useless knowledge. It's nice to see people be passionate about something too.

absolutely.

thanks for the advice im looking into it!

absolutely.

thanks for the advice im looking into it!

Well thank you both.

Good luck!