picking help

Hey man, good to see you're putting in some effort to increase your guitar skills. Keep it up.

I would recommend you just start playing the songs that you currently play, but use alternate picking. If you're playing Don't Cry, try doing it with alternate picking.

For scales, go for the pentatonic (compulsory) to start off with. Be very strict with your down-up picking when switching between strings. Once you have this down, try a different scale such as the Ionian that has 3 notes on some strings. This is important to prevent you from getting too used to just playing down-up on each string.

Want a challenge? Try playing the solo to Miracle Man by Ozzy Osbourne using strict alternate picking. Start slow and build up your speed. Even Zakk Wylde cheats a little when playing this (he plays down-down-up) so if you can get it down with alternate picking you're on your way. Good luck!

When I first started playing no one ever told me what alternate picking was, I originally picked up the whole time, it was just something I developed myself. Just do whatever ur doing now, as you practice, it'll develop naturally.

Hey man, good to see you're putting in some effort to increase your guitar skills. Keep it up.

I would recommend you just start playing the songs that you currently play, but use alternate picking. If you're playing Don't Cry, try doing it with alternate picking.

For scales, go for the pentatonic (compulsory) to start off with. Be very strict with your down-up picking when switching between strings. Once you have this down, try a different scale such as the Ionian that has 3 notes on some strings. This is important to prevent you from getting too used to just playing down-up on each string.

Want a challenge? Try playing the solo to Miracle Man by Ozzy Osbourne using strict alternate picking. Start slow and build up your speed. Even Zakk Wylde cheats a little when playing this (he plays down-down-up) so if you can get it down with alternate picking you're on your way. Good luck!

thanks man