Official: Band balked at alcohol ban

SWINGTRADER

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/local/061108gnr.html

Official: Band balked at alcohol ban

By ELBERT AULL, Staff Writer

Wednesday, November 8, 2006

Guns N' Roses and state fire marshals disagree on who is to blame for the rock band's decision to call off its show at the Cumberland County Civic Center Monday night.

The band, through a press release issued Tuesday, blamed the decision on a pair of overzealous state fire marshals.

Nelson Collins, supervisor of licensing and inspections at the State Fire Marshal's Office, said he was doing his job when he let band managers know performers wouldn't be allowed to drink alcohol out of bottles on stage.

Collins said Guns N' Roses' management objected.

Guns N' Roses canceled its performance at the civic center at 5:30 p.m. Monday, 2‡ hours before the show was scheduled to begin.

The decision angered fans, many of whom blamed the band's lead singer, Axl Rose, who has called off shows before.

Collins and another fire marshal, Robert Cadigan, "made it impossible for the band to perform their show to the usual high standards that their fans deserve," according to a press release from the band's management agency.

The statement implies the two attempted to subject Guns N' Roses to rules that were not applied to Clay Aiken and Green Day, two acts that have recently performed at the civic center. The management agency did not identify a specific rule it thought was unfair.

Collins said he believed a prior dispute over the band's pyrotechnics show had been settled and the alcohol restrictions were the main issue before the show.

He said Green Day agreed to the alcohol rule and Clay Aiken did not have a pyrotechnics show, so fire marshals weren't needed at his performance.

It is illegal for entertainers to drink alcohol while they work in Maine, Collins said. The fine for violating the rule is $250, he said.

Collins said fire marshals, who would report alcohol violations at a concert, haven't had issues with bands objecting to the law in the past.

He said he tried to convince the band's management during a midafternoon meeting Monday to have the musicians limit their alcohol consumption to backstage. He said the band's managers balked at the idea.

Some of the band's past cancellations -- most notably in Vancouver and Philadelphia -- caused riots. Fans on Free Street Monday were angry, but not violent.

Rose was not in Portland for the discussions between inspectors and the band's managers, Collins said. He travels by plane while on tour and wasn't scheduled to arrive in Portland until Monday night, civic center General Manager Steve Crane said during an interview a little more than an hour after the cancellation.

Staff Writer Elbert Aull can be contacted at 791-6325 or at:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't give a fuck either way

Was selfishly hoping that the sound problems in NJ, the cancellation in Maine, and some lack of sales at smaller shows would send my man into a funk thus causing him to play Estranged on Friday Night

Will let you know how THAT one works out :fuckyou:

I don't buy Merck's version.

Plus, ticket sales are very low. More shows could be cancelled in near future.

Oh, don´t start with that ticket bullshit :rolleyes:

Been there already. Ticket sales "ARE" very low? come on dude.

Your glass is not even half empty. Well I guess they would have cancelled the recent show. Becuse u seems to find it logical to cancel upcoming shows doesn´t mean that GnR camp do. :drevil:

EDIT* Your sentence "are very low" show how you WANT to angle things.

ARE=WRONG

VERY=WRONG

LOW=That "soft market" gig was low and GnR camp were prepared for that. That, and that is the only gig so far I consider as "low". But probably not even lower then they expected.

Edited by shootingstar

So Gn'R cannot perform a show without booze. Couldn't they have simply had a truck outside where Axl and Co. could nip off for a quick swig. Or couldn't they have simply had a few drinks before entering the venue. To call off a whole show does kinda suck. Mind you, if they had sold 10,000+ tickets, i'm sure they would have found away to get on stage :D

So Gn'R cannot perform a show without booze. Couldn't they have simply had a truck outside where Axl and Co. could nip off for a quick swig. Or couldn't they have simply had a few drinks before entering the venue. To call off a whole show does kinda suck. Mind you, if they had sold 10,000+ tickets, i'm sure they would have found away to get on stage :D

Or get tanked before you go on and just snort coke to keep you going until the break before the encore.

I can't really imagine that this is the sole reason. I bet there's a bit of truth in both accounts.

Thing about this new 'story' is they say that it's illegal to drink while performing, but then said Clay Aiken(who?), didn't have pyros so it didn't apply to them.... so is it illegal to drink while performing or only when Pyros are involved?!! It's fishy on both sides!!

LP

Although I was a bit dissapointed by this message at first, now it seems kind of bullshit to me. Remember Merck telling us that the cancellation cost GNR $200,000? Then why would GNR cancel the show? They could easily drink on stage, get a $450 fine, drink a bit more, and in the end get drunk as fuck. Oh yeah, before I forget.....if people want to start complaining about this band's necessarity of getting drunk on stage: PLEASE TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT THE OLD BAND!!!

bull fucking shit. this is a rock band, $250 fine??? thats not gonna stop em, that wouldnt stop anyone nevermind GUNS N' FUCKIN' ROSES....... no way they would cancel a gig for fear of a few fines, especially one of that size, may as well be a slap on the wrist.

sorry not buying!

They didn't even mention that the fire marshal threatened to arrest and give a $1,000 fine to fans who attempted to drink or smoke inside the venue (this applied to the Guns N' Roses crew as well). I think GN'R did the right thing by cancelling the show. Can you just imagine the media backlash the band would've gotten after having numerous fans unfairly arrested and fined at the band's concert?

Also, had the show gone on, Axl would have probably gotten fuckin' pissed at the venue's security thus causing much turmoil.

Managment did the right thing. The explanation that Bach, Beta, Axl, and Merck have given us all fits together very well.

Edited by IndiannaRose

If this stuff is true, why do they HAVE to have alcohol onstage, they should be pumped up enough with the fact that they are playing to a bunch of people who have spent hard earned cash going to see them, they are acting like prima donna rockstar bitches. Hell, Axl was out of the game for the best part of a decade, he should be greatful people are still interested :anger:

Personally, I don't believe that this Colin guy talking to the newspaper, or to anyone else is going to be any more official than GNR's management talking. I don't think we'll ever know the truth, because it's always going to be their word against GNR's word.

If this stuff is true, why do they HAVE to have alcohol onstage, they should be pumped up enough with the fact that they are playing to a bunch of people who have spent hard earned cash going to see them, they are acting like prima donna rockstar bitches. Hell, Axl was out of the game for the best part of a decade, he should be greatful people are still interested :anger:

God damn it dude. Read my fuckin' post. You'll probably change your mind after reading it.

God damn it dude. Read my fuckin' post. You'll probably change your mind after reading it.

I did and something just doesn't sit right with me, why on god's earth would a fire marshall, in this day and age not expect people in the crowd to be drinking and so on. It doesnt add up. What does add up are the ticket sales...and not to very much!

They didn't even mention that the fire marshal threatened to arrest and give a $1,000 fine to fans who attempted to drink or smoke inside the venue (this applied to the Guns N' Roses crew as well). I think GN'R did the right thing by cancelling the show. Can you just imagine the media backlash the band would've gotten after having numerous fans unfairly arrested and fined at the band's concert?

Also, had the show gone on, Axl would have probably gotten fuckin' pissed at the venue's security thus causing much turmoil.

Managment did the right thing. The explanation that Bach, Beta, Axl, and Merck have given us all fits together very well.

Dude, this is new to me! So the fans and crew were not allowed to drink nor smoke in that venue? Well then, it's very simple then. GNR was in their right to cancel the show. GNR concerts are all about having a good rock n' roll time. This includes drinking and smoking for the most of us. If someone doesn't agree, then he or she should visit a fucking Moby concert.

(sorry about this, only i was replying to another topic that was removed while i was typing a responce)

Having seen Gn'R live when Slash was in the group and having seen Gn'R live when Buckethead was in the group, i don't really feel the need to see them again.

On the album front, as and when Chinese Demo hits the shops, i'm still in 2 minds weather to buy or download it. If the CD is 80% material we've heard already then i won't be all that impressed. If on the other hand the album is packed with new tracks and the art work is fan-dabby-dossy then i'll buy CD :D

I know the music is the most improtant aspect of any album, but these days if an album has crap art work then i download the album, as all i want is the music. I picked up NIN's WITH_TEETH (as i have all of NIN's albums) as not only is the music good but the art work is cool too. I own some original New Order albums, but there was no way on earth i was going to splash some ca$h on Republic, as the cover art are was so poor. Even New Order themselves could not believe how poor the cover art was for Republic. Which made we wonder, didn't New Order see the cover art to thir own album before it hit the shops???

Here is a typical good New Order cover:

01_195.gif

Here is Reblic:

945250.jpg

..how poor does this look?

Here is a typical good NIN cover:

nin-with-teeth.jpg

Edited by dobadog

I guess you won't be buying the albums cos' guns' management make poor decisions, and the odds are likely for the cover being incredible lame.

Sure hope it looks great. It wouldn't surprize me if the album art looked like it was made by a formite learning how to use Photoshop :D

I guess you won't be buying the albums cos' guns' management make poor decisions, and the odds are likely for the cover being incredible lame.

Sure hope it looks great. It wouldn't surprize me if the album art looked like it was made by a formite learning how to use Photoshop :D

The album will probably be a book with a CD in it. It'll need a book to list all the people on it. I'll buy the album in paper back for everyday use and hardback for best.

LP

If that's the case, then I agree with you ;)

Haven't heard what Beta and Bach have said :unsure: