Most Overrated Band Ever

crazyfan

Most Overrated Band Ever  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Fine, you prefer voices that sound like everything else in rock, like Sebastian Bach, but I wouldn't call Kurt's singing grunting.

Like everything else in rock? I think you'll find that Bach has a pretty distinctive voice, with the fact he has a vocal range. Unlike people like Cobain, who can grunt in three ways: 1) I'm unhappy 2) I'm in pain 3) I need to take a massive crap. I'm pushed to even call it singing. It's bland, it's monotone, repetitive. Your comment on voices sounding the same in rock, I think that if you actually take a listen to a variety of groups you'll find distinct differences.

And I understand why you don't like the style of Kurt's songwriting, all I'm saying is that it takes a lot more to write lyrics like Kurt's than say, for example, Skid Row or Poison's lyrics.

I would concur on Poison, despite some decent enough metaphors within some of their songs. Skid Row, I disagree entirely. There's some really profound stuff in amongst the more common, mainstream songs - like In A Darkened Room, Quicksand Jesus, amongst others. I find Nirvana to be simplistic - and that's from what I've heard, I cannot claim to have delved extensively into their back catalogue (My favourite songs being Lithium and Come As You Are), the latter of those being simple as, the former having the same lyrics repeated umpteen times. Now, I don't always enjoy intensely complicated lyrical songs, hell - some of my favourites are simplistic. I just do not find myself drawn to such a style of writing, particularly one I can't really relate to. Perhaps it was the fact that every Tom, Dick and Harry has heard of them, owns a shirt of them and pretends from the age of 10-14 that it's their favourite band, without ever hearing anything other than Nirvana. That's not a dig at you, I'm just saying, that's the stereotype portrayed by the media, and an observation. If it appeals to you, that's fine - I usually prefer some sustenance, and something more impressive lyrically, vocally, and certainly technically in terms of guitar. I mean, the solo in SLTS is the riff played slower, and "fuller" - I can't think of a better way to describe it, but that's what I hear. There's nothing beautiful about it. It's not crafted. It doesn't make me feel, "wow", it doesn't make me want to take another look.

Nirvana are way more influenced by punk than the artists you mentioned, Pearl Jam in particular - from what I've seen of the music you like, I get the impression that you like more complex music, and people who prefer complex music rarely like simplistic music, and the same way back.

I wouldn't really call myself a fan of punk, simply because I find most of the people into that are fakes or wannabees, who didn't live through the period. Pearl Jam, were an artist from that particular genre that I mentioned that from what I've heard I've liked, but again - have not currently delved extensively into their back catalogue. Whence I have, I shall report back. Although, that seems to be the thing - although, much of my taste (although not explicitly listed on my profile, I listen to a helluva lot more, including cheesier than what is there, and far much more classical music I choose not to list in order to save face, and the fact I'd probably be ridiculed for that) may well be "complex", it is because I feel it has sustenance, substance and texture that I can explore, rather than being your standard cut and dried piece - comprenez? And like I said, I do enjoy simplistic music, hell - I listen to Phillip Glass ;) (take that how you will, being sophisticated and complex, yet simplistic at the same time...). Indeed, a fair bit of my taste could be described as overblown, pompous sort of artists - although some of it is straight out rock - my taste is far reaching, and I'll give anything a listen - I'm not explicit or elitist to genre - as seen for my like for other grunge groups such as Alice, Soundgarden etc. I should point out that I feel similarly for U2 and Green Day, I just find Nirvana the most out of those. U2 has about one track I'll listen to, GD has all of zero. It's something I've never really enjoyed. Don't think I singled out Nirvana, because I could've voted for any of those.

I'm not saying that you're not allowed to dislike something, I just asked you to elaborate, which you did, and I respect you for that.

It merely came out in that way, as well as RonMexico's "empassioned" criticism. I'm more than happy to elaborate, you know me - and that respect is mutual little buddy. I would of course like you to answer similarily on Hair Metal, should you have the time.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Green Day DEFINITELY.

Anyone who says Nirvana is overrated doesn't know the history of rock music. Nirvana changed rock music in the early 90s pretty much, and wrote pretty good songs. Just because the guitar is simple doesn't mean they aren't good.

Green Day on the other hand used to be decent at best in their Dookie days, but now they just blow ass.

Anyone who says Nirvana is overrated doesn't know the history of rock music. Nirvana changed rock music in the early 90s pretty much, and wrote pretty good songs. Just because the guitar is simple doesn't mean they aren't good.

I'm pretty good with the history of rock. The rest is simply subjective. It's not "Forsaken's Guide To What Is Good As Told By The Eponymous Neb" - it is an subjective opinion, which - I've quantified.

I'm pretty good with the history of rock. The rest is simply subjective. It's not "Forsaken's Guide To What Is Good As Told By The Eponymous Neb" - it is an subjective opinion, which - I've quantified.

Point taken.

Just saying, I don't know how anyone could think Nirvana is more overrated than Green Day... I mean honestly. Nirvana accomplished alot in the little time they were around.

Like everything else in rock? I think you'll find that Bach has a pretty distinctive voice, with the fact he has a vocal range. Unlike people like Cobain, who can grunt in three ways: 1) I'm unhappy 2) I'm in pain 3) I need to take a massive crap. I'm pushed to even call it singing. It's bland, it's monotone, repetitive. Your comment on voices sounding the same in rock, I think that if you actually take a listen to a variety of groups you'll find distinct differences.

To me, that vocal range thing is boring and uninteresting - maybe that's why I think he sounds like everyone else with a similar style.

Grunt? I've actually never talked to anyone who thinks Kurt's singing sounds like grunting. And you just said you like Alice in Chains, Layne Staley and Kurt has a very similar voice.

I've never made a comment about voices sounding the same in rock, I meant that Sebastian Bach's voice is not unique, like Kurt's.

And I don't know if you've noticed, but most of the music I listen to belong to some sort of sub-genre of rock, whether it's grunge, punk, psychedelic rock, alternative rock or rock 'n' roll, so you don't have to ask me to take a look at a variety of rock groups.

I would concur on Poison, despite some decent enough metaphors within some of their songs. Skid Row, I disagree entirely. There's some really profound stuff in amongst the more common, mainstream songs - like In A Darkened Room, Quicksand Jesus, amongst others.that's what I hear. There's nothing beautiful about it. It's not crafted. It doesn't make me feel, "wow", it doesn't make me want to take another look.

Perhaps they have some good lyrics hidden behind all their mainstream material, so maybe I'm not the best to critisize Skid Row's lyrics, but what I've heard from their more mainstream stuff, like "I Remember You", is just sappy and boring.

I wouldn't really call myself a fan of punk, simply because I find most of the people into that are fakes or wannabees, who didn't live through the period. Pearl Jam, were an artist from that particular genre that I mentioned that from what I've heard I've liked, but again - have not currently delved extensively into their back catalogue. Whence I have, I shall report back. Although, that seems to be the thing - although, much of my taste (although not explicitly listed on my profile, I listen to a helluva lot more, including cheesier than what is there, and far much more classical music I choose not to list in order to save face, and the fact I'd probably be ridiculed for that) may well be "complex", it is because I feel it has sustenance, substance and texture that I can explore, rather than being your standard cut and dried piece - comprenez? And like I said, I do enjoy simplistic music, hell - I listen to Phillip Glass ;) (take that how you will, being sophisticated and complex, yet simplistic at the same time...). Indeed, a fair bit of my taste could be described as overblown, pompous sort of artists - although some of it is straight out rock - my taste is far reaching, and I'll give anything a listen - I'm not explicit or elitist to genre - as seen for my like for other grunge groups such as Alice, Soundgarden etc. I should point out that I feel similarly for U2 and Green Day, I just find Nirvana the most out of those. U2 has about one track I'll listen to, GD has all of zero. It's something I've never really enjoyed. Don't think I singled out Nirvana, because I could've voted for any of those.

Don't look at the newer stuff if you want to get into punk, check out Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys, Stiff Little Fingers and early Green Day.

Ridiculed for liking classic music? People who ridicule people for listening to classical music are idiots. I say fuck 'em, man, put that classical music up on your profile, at least you'll gain more respect from a certain someone with a username named after a Nirvana-song.

And check out Joshua Tree and Dookie by U2 and Green Day if you haven't checked them out - they're worth at least one spin.

To me, that vocal range thing is boring and uninteresting - maybe that's why I think he sounds like everyone else with a similar style.

Grunt? I've actually never talked to anyone who thinks Kurt's singing sounds like grunting. And you just said you like Alice in Chains, Layne Staley and Kurt has a very similar voice.

I've never made a comment about voices sounding the same in rock, I meant that Sebastian Bach's voice is not unique, like Kurt's.

And I don't know if you've noticed, but most of the music I listen to belong to some sort of sub-genre of rock, whether it's grunge, punk, psychedelic rock, alternative rock or rock 'n' roll, so you don't have to ask me to take a look at a variety of rock groups.

Perhaps you think it's boring, but it is one of the things that showcases your ability as a singer. Layne is vastly different, he has far clearer diction and he actually ennunciates. He's known for his voice, whereas Cobain isn't. I think you'd be hard pressed also to find someone with a similar voice to Bach's - I would really like to see that. And, I understand that's your taste, although by rock - I meant the sorta, "hair-metal" esque sorta rock, you know? Like, Europe, Journey, etc.

I would concur on Poison, despite some decent enough metaphors within some of their songs. Skid Row, I disagree entirely. There's some really profound stuff in amongst the more common, mainstream songs - like In A Darkened Room, Quicksand Jesus, amongst others.that's what I hear. There's nothing beautiful about it. It's not crafted. It doesn't make me feel, "wow", it doesn't make me want to take another look.

Perhaps they have some good lyrics hidden behind all their mainstream material, so maybe I'm not the best to critisize Skid Row's lyrics, but what I've heard from their more mainstream stuff, like "I Remember You", is just sappy and boring.

Well, those two songs listed were relatively mainstream - and I do recommend you at least check them out.

Don't look at the newer stuff if you want to get into punk, check out Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys, Stiff Little Fingers and early Green Day.

Ridiculed for liking classic music? People who ridicule people for listening to classical music are idiots. I say fuck 'em, man, put that classical music up on your profile, at least you'll gain more respect from a certain someone with a username named after a Nirvana-song.

I can't say I have a burning desire to break into punk, and I do like Sex Pistols - we'll see... I may take a look. I'll post an updated one sometime with the list, my favourite would probably be Rachmaninov, although Pavarotti and the Three Tenors hold a special place in my heart.

And check out Joshua Tree and Dookie by U2 and Green Day if you haven't checked them out - they're worth at least one spin.

I've previously checked out the latter - is that the one with Basket Case? I may give the Joshua Tree a spin - I do dig the Edge.

I've previously checked out the latter - is that the one with Basket Case? I may give the Joshua Tree a spin - I do dig the Edge.

Seriously mate give Joshua Tree a good listen since IMO it presents the best of U2 and it is the reason why I can say that I really like U2 ;)

Seriously mate give Joshua Tree a good listen since IMO it presents the best of U2 and it is the reason why I can say that I really like U2 ;)

I may well. I just don't know if I can take it all that seriously after Maddox ripped U2 a new hole: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=11worst

But, I think I will

Oh you definitely should give a listen to Joshua Tree! IMO there isn't a bad song on it. I absolutely love it!

btw, all great points about Nirvana - I couldn't agree more.

I may well. I just don't know if I can take it all that seriously after Maddox ripped U2 a new hole: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=11worst

But, I think I will

Where The Streets Have No Name: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyEgIaBlCJE and another awesome performance where Bono alters the lyrics a bit

:P

:lol: Must be the first time I agree with P4A but yeah Joshua Tree hasn't really got a bad track on it.

The Beatles

The Rolling Stones

The Doors

hahahaha wow you really dont know what music is!!! you just named the first and second best band's ever, beatles first then the rolling stones, hahaha you shouldnt be on this website if you dont know music!!! :fuckyou:

Everyone can like whatever they want - even though his taste sucks :xmassrudolph: . He has every right to like or dislike whatever he wants, as do you, but you should respect someones taste even if you don't like it. And as long as you like GNR why shouldn't you be on this forum? It's a GNR forum - not a music general. :)

Edited by izzystradlin'