The Stooges

ffrankwhite

Sabbath is a English band.

Most of the members of Skynyrd were Canadian though.

i think you're thinking of The Band. Skynyrd were from Jacksonville, FL.

my vote goes to CCR.

what Credence as the most important american band? c'mon man, more so than the stooges?

i love ya to death frank, but i don't share you reverence for the punk stuff. when it comes to punk; give me the Ramones.

bro, i IMPLORE you to not lump the stooges in with "the punk stuff" not only because it predates all of that but because they are wildly different. just listening to funhouse will prove that :)

i cant think of a single band out of america that informed and whoose imprint is blatantly visible in the history of rock n roll after their inception and up to this day, can you?

The Doors

Alice Cooper

agreed however, in terms of the literal meat and potatoes music and outside of influence in other aspects of rock n roll i think the stooges make it that little bit further. not to denigrate alice or the doorses influence though. the doors had way too much variety in their sound to have a kind of impact where you listen to it and go "hey, thats kinda like the doors man"...not that there arent many bands like that i just mean relative to the stooges. with Alice, mmmm, maybe...i dont think so but maybe.