Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone

Iceman24

I haven't heard that song in years and I lsitened to it today and I was blown away. The original is awesome, but it's got nothing on MJ's version. His singing is incredible and the song itself is beautiful (I think Axl should have covered it). But anyway, what do you think about this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKTqCYNbNyM

prefer the original, that throaty touch to it...it comes off better that way, its not a mere vocal exercise, there are people with better voices who sometimes tend to ruin more low key type songs because they are so aware of their...range. a good example are people like Mariah Carey and Christina Aguilera who are REALLY good singers but they seem to fuck themselves up because they use every song of theirs as a kind of showcase for their capability to hit every note under the sun. they sort of bludgeon their way through songs with no...understanding of backing off on some songs that dont necessarily require all that hotdog shit.

prefer the original, that throaty touch to it...it comes off better that way, its not a mere vocal exercise, there are people with better voices who sometimes tend to ruin more low key type songs because they are so aware of their...range. a good example are people like Mariah Carey and Christina Aguilera who are REALLY good singers but they seem to fuck themselves up because they use every song of theirs as a kind of showcase for their capability to hit every note under the sun. they sort of bludgeon their way through songs with no...understanding of backing off on some songs that dont necessarily require all that hotdog shit.

I don't think he's showing off in that song. And I think the fact he's not singing it in a lower voice may be caused of his age.

He was 14 years old, so he probably couldn't sing lower. That's usually the age your voice changes. I mean, when I was small I had quite a high voice. Now I speak like Ville Valo. But anyway, eventhough he sings it really high, I think his voice is so incredibly beautiful in that song and it's not over the top, like in the examples you gave with Mariah Carey and Christina Aguilera. It would have been awesome, though, if he had rerecorded that song like 15 years later, though.

Edited by Iceman24